Menu

nm

Drama Llama

15 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

If only you had also asked about Moby......

🚀🚀🚀

Blubber sous vide with a nice sear is indescribable.

Almost worth the life-in-prison that follows.

I jest.

Bill (who wonders if you are still in the old church-house)

Get your self a flat of wide-mouth 8 oz mason jars and you can make individual cheesecakes!  And quiches!  And creme brulee!

For cheesecake mix 2 pounds softened cream cheese, 1 cup sugar,  1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 large eggs, 1 large egg yolk,  Pour into jars.  (Optional, have everyone put mix-ins like candy bits, nuts, dried fruit into their own jars first.)  Don't fill more than 3/4 full

Put on the jar lids and tighten them to "figure tip" tightness, just until they stop turning easily.  You want air to be able to escape but water not to get in.

Put them in the water bath and set your sous vide for 176 F.  With jars you want to put them into warm water and let them come up to temp with the water bath to avoid thermal shock and broken jars. With bags you bring the water up to temp first and then put the bags in.

Cook at 176 for two hours, remove and refrigerate for 4 hours.

For quiche  mix 3 eggs with 1 cup milk or cream (or a mixture).  Put meats, veggies, cheese, herbs into jars (or have everyone put in their own toppings.  Pour in egg mixture, again no more than 3/4 full.  Sous vide at 172 for one hour.  (Put the jars in while the water is no more than dish water warm and let them come up to temp with the water.)

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Blubber sous vide with a nice sear is indescribable.

Almost worth the life-in-prison that follows.

I jest.

Bill (who wonders if you are still in the old church-house)

We are, but we never got to phase 3 renovation. It ended up not being worth the investment because when the housing bubble burst/recession occurred, so many families moved away that homes became worth exactly nothing. This home has 4000 sq etc radiant floor heating, solar panels, high ceilings, beautiful woodwork, stained glass windows, and an acre. It is today worth, at most, $55,000.

So it isn't completed and never will be. In five years, we are retiring to the Huntsville, All area - Rocket City which is pretty perfect for us!!! - to be near our two grandsons. We are already taking extended visits there, and looking for a home to buy. We have an agreement with the township to donate this place as a community center. The living room and family rooms each have 650 sq ft, the balcony similar. Lots of big space for meetings, games, hosting small weddings, etc. They will be able to rent it out and make a little money. We will walk away.

Back to the subject at hand, recipes required or we call Bill's bluff and find out he is NOT a sous vide chef at all!!! 😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We are, but we never got to phase 3 renovation. It ended up not being worth the investment because when the housing bubble burst/recession occurred, so many families moved away that homes became worth exactly nothing. This home has 4000 sq etc radiant floor heating, solar panels, high ceilings, beautiful woodwork, stained glass windows, and an acre. It is today worth, at most, $55,000.

So it isn't completed and never will be. In five years, we are retiring to the Huntsville, All area - Rocket City which is pretty perfect for us!!! - to be near our two grandsons. We are already taking extended visits there, and looking for a home to buy. We have an agreement with the township to donate this place as a community center. The living room and family rooms each have 650 sq ft, the balcony similar. Lots of big space for meetings, games, hosting small weddings, etc. They will be able to rent it out and make a little money. We will walk away.

Back to the subject at hand, recipes required or we call Bill's bluff and find out he is NOT a sous vide chef at all!!! 😂😂😂

Stunned a home that size could sell for $55,000. 

The thing about sous vide is one does not need to be a "chef." You season something like a steak, chop, or piece of fish, seal it in a bag (and reusable silicon is what I've moved to) and then you chose the internal temp you desire and sous vide for a roughly appropriate time. For simple things like the above mentioned items that's about an hour (or more). Time flexible. Then you need a quick sear.

With almost no skills necessary simple proteins seem like they've come out of a professional kitchen.

So easy!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

I'm a beginner sous-vide-er too. I'll be paying attention here.

I get the basic method, and that you can basically just cook any protein to any internal temperature... I need a kick towards something more specific I guess? Everything I make comes out pretty plain. And I don't always sear afterwards because I'm afraid I'll overdo it and ruin the inner texture.

Just now, bolt. said:

I'm a beginner sous-vide-er too. I'll be paying attention here.

I get the basic method, and that you can basically just cook any protein to any internal temperature... I need a kick towards something more specific I guess? Everything I make comes out pretty plain. And I don't always sear afterwards because I'm afraid I'll overdo it and ruin the inner texture.

I like my steak rare, so I go 115 on steaks, then hit it with our flamethrower (aka a Harbor Freight weed-burner that attached to a propane tank) outside in an iron pan. I can get a great char and if the internal temp goes up a little, no worries. It will still have the edge to edge perfection of sous vide.

Without a sear, sous vide meat is too bland IMO.

Bill

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I like my steak rare, so I go 115 on steaks, then hit it with our flamethrower (aka a Harbor Freight weed-burner that attached to a propane tank) outside in an iron pan. I can get a great char and if the internal temp goes up a little, no worries. It will still have the edge to edge perfection of sous vide.

Bill

I agree. You HAVE to sear. It looks so much more appetizing and adds a layer of deliciousness. If you do it very quickly on very high heat you won’t overcook your protein. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you get the Anova and Joule apps, they have a lot of recipes. I mostly use mine for steaks and it’s still worth having. It makes for easy egg poaching too. 

The nice thing about apps (and websites) is most have photos that show a peson what different temps will do to texture, so finding your personal optimal temp involves less trial and error. 

There is also an entertaining YouTube channel called Sous Vide Everything. I was floored when they discovered the Harbor Freight flamethrower (I beat them to the punch) was the best tool as they'd be using fancy and expensive tools to sear that were no doubt sponsored.

Bill

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Since you do own a flamethrower, I suppose you don't have many tips to offer for searing-without-overdoing using more, umm, conventional tools?

3 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So is a so is a flamethrower something I need to go with?

When you answer, keep in mind that the primary chef in my family is a 10 year old boy.

ETA: this is not the post I meant to quote

What 10 year old boy doesn't wish to own a flamethrower? Everyone wins!!!

The searing "job" is something I almost always contract out to my 16 year old, as it is a blast (literally). You have no idea.

The home is insured, correct?

Otherwise, a very hot iron pan or a quick broil works.

Bill

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bolt. said:

Since you do own a flamethrower, I suppose you don't have many tips to offer for searing-without-overdoing using more, umm, conventional tools?

Fish responds every well to a quick broil. I mentioned that a light smear of mayo on top prior to broiling gives a nice crunch. Similarly, a sugar/maple syrup glaze adds flavor and texture to things like salmon.

Meat I tend to do on a hot cast iron or carbon steel pan if flamethrowing is out.

Bill

52 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

We’re still staying with my SIL, I am sure she won’t mind if we repay her kindness with a little house fire.

You can get rid of her weeds at the same time. And I dare a Coronavirus to survive the conflagration. 

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Oh my gosh!!! Harbor Freight Flamethrower???? My husband is going to love me greatly when I buy him one for our anniversary and tell him it is an approved cooking appliance!🔥😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh my gosh!!! Harbor Freight Flamethrower???? My husband is going to love me greatly when I buy him one for our anniversary and tell him it is an approved cooking appliance!🔥😁

You have no idea. Words defy how brilliant these are, especially with a full propane tank, the valves fully opened, and the pulling the bike-brake looking handle.

OMG!!!

Your rocket man husband will experience "lift-off." I promise you. It will be an epic gift. Really.

Two models .

One is the bargain model. If you get this one add a welding sparker/starter for about $4 and attach to propane tank for easy access:

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

The "upgrade" pick has a built-in starter:

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Both work equally well.

With great power comes...

Bill

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Follow up question.  

We are going to try this thing out today.  Gonna make some steaks.  

My relatives have varying opinion on the temperature of steak. Some of us would like it to still be able to moo.  Others prefer not to get e coli. And then there's one weird kid who likes it to resemble shoe leather.  

Can I do this?  Can I put it in, set it to a certain temp, and then take those out, turn it up a few degrees and cook the rest for a little while?  

Also, we have our one pescatarian.  Can I throw a piece of salmon in it's own bag, and cook it with the steak?  

I have not done this--as we are all pro-moo--but I've considered it.

What I'd do the opposite of what you suggest, do the higher temp  steaks first. Then pull them. Then do the next and the next adding back the first ones back long enough to get warm fully warm (20-30 min?).

Anyone who want more than 125 doesn't deserve a steak--but you know that.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

29 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, I cook for an hour, take them out, cook for another hour, add them, cook 20 more minutes, take them out, and sear?

And I got this device to make my life easier?  

I have enough experience with CPS to know that "he didn't deserve to be fed because of his poor taste in meat temperatures" doesn't go over as well as you'd expect.  

You could throw the one that aims to be well-done in a pan or under a broiler for longer. One nice thing is that with a char the sous vide texture done less well may not be as objectionable to someone who goes for more done. I have not tried a sous vide steak done medium to well.

You got this? I thought the universe provided?

Curious to know how it goes. 

Bill

Just now, BaseballandHockey said:

If you consider my SIL the universe?  

It wasn't a total coincidence.  I asked her if she had one, after you maligned her well equippedI kitchen.  

But if it all started with me asking for easy things for a busy night, hence my statement that that's how I got it.  

I thought it was good.  We did 130 as a compromise, but DS10 was not convinced.  Given how often the kid cooks for me, I felt a little guilty, but he liked the salmon.  I'm guessing I would have liked the salmon better at a lower temp, but salmon is pretty forgiving. 

It's a beautiful day here, and I'm not convinced it wouldn't have been easier and tastier to throw it on the grill outside, but I realize that in February I'll feel differently. 

The universe almost always does better with a nudge. Yea SIL!

130 is kind of high for a steak. Wait until you have one cooked rare edge-to-edge before you evaluate against a grill. 

Bill