Menu

Ideas? Not sure what to get my mom for Mother's Day who has Alzheimers.

Alicia64

My mom has Alzheimers. She was just diagnosed, but it's pretty significant.

On the up side, she seems to have completely forgotten that I was never her favorite.

My dad does not want "a bunch of junk." As he puts it.

I gave my mom slipper socks for Xmas. Any ideas for Mother's Day?\

Thanks!

• Sad 1

I don’t have any good ideas for Mother’s Day, but I particularly like @Starr‘s suggestion of the book with the family pictures.

My best suggestion for a Father’s Day gift, though, is to have a family member take care of your mom while you get him out of the house for a while. He is probably exhausted from the stress of taking care of your mom, and from the worry about her condition getting worse, so he could probably use a break — and if it’s just you and him doing something special together, he might really enjoy it. 

• Like 4

We got our Mom a stuffed schnauzer online at walmart.com.
They have lots of different breeds to choose from.

It's cuddly and reminds us all of their beloved schnauzer (20 years ago).

My go-to gift is always photos, or some photo-related gift (like a blanket, mug, etc)

• Like 2

We got my mom a digital picture frame, but it annoyed her always flipping through pictures and she turned it off:) 

we did get her one of those clocks that say the date, day of the week, afternoon, etc. it’s helpful for the confusion. We put it by the daily pill box to help them remember to take their meds. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

We’ve given that to our parents with memory issues, it’s a good one.

I like the memory book idea, and see it’s usefulness.

Also, I gave my mom a very inexpensive little jewelry dish/holder that says, “Mom, remember I love you” or something like that.  It was on Amazon.

Coloring books are good here, too.  

• Like 1

My FIL had dementia and we also struggled to come up with good gift ideas for him. One thing he really enjoyed was watching tv shows and movies from long ago. We got him a big box set of old westerns and he loved those, and also a dvd compilation of Bob Hope Specials.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

A relative living with another relative who has memory issues - they loved this - the one we got was slightly different but basically the same thing. So helpful for both of them. And it came in useful once the pandemic hit and they lost their regular weekly events/schedule.  They had me buy another one for a friend with memory issues. 

ETA: I get these cards and send them to elderly friends in the winter. The flower ones can brighten a room, require no maintenance, and you can toss them and not feel guilty about it.  https://www.lovepopcards.com/

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

A relative living with another relative who has memory issues - they loved this - the one we got was slightly different but basically the same thing. So helpful for both of them. And it came in useful once the pandemic hit and they lost their regular weekly events/schedule.  They had me buy another one for a friend with memory issues. 

ETA: I get these cards and send them to elderly friends in the winter. The flower ones can brighten a room, require no maintenance, and you can toss them and not feel guilty about it.  https://www.lovepopcards.com/

I love the clock idea -- it's great. And I also love pop-cards, already bought! Thank you! 🙂

17 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

My Dad didn't have Alzheimers, although the symptoms were similar when his cancer moved to his brain.  He loved to read and to travel when he was well, and when he had dementia, and couldn't do those things, he got a lot of enjoyment out of coffee table type books with pictures of placed he'd been or would have liked to have gone.  

Coffee table book is a wonderful idea! Thank you!

17 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I don’t have any good ideas for Mother’s Day, but I particularly like @Starr‘s suggestion of the book with the family pictures.

My best suggestion for a Father’s Day gift, though, is to have a family member take care of your mom while you get him out of the house for a while. He is probably exhausted from the stress of taking care of your mom, and from the worry about her condition getting worse, so he could probably use a break — and if it’s just you and him doing something special together, he might really enjoy it. 

I would totally do this, but we're in Atlanta and they're in San Fran. Great idea though!

17 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Restaurant gift card? 

They eat out almost daily and have the cash for it. Otherwise, it's a great idea!

17 hours ago, Resilient said:

Cheese basket? Cookie basket? Something consumable that doesn't have to be stored/watched out for, etc.  

Great idea b/c it sounds like my mom is eating like a little kid: tons of daily ice cream. My dad says she's eaten more in the last year than she's eaten in her whole life. lol. (Which would bug her b/c she always watched her weight.)

16 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Definitely doing this one!! I'm sure she can use it. Heck, I need it. I woke up yesterday wondering, "What is today?" It was Saturday. (Lord.)

12 hours ago, Spryte said:

We’ve given that to our parents with memory issues, it’s a good one.

I like the memory book idea, and see it’s usefulness.

Also, I gave my mom a very inexpensive little jewelry dish/holder that says, “Mom, remember I love you” or something like that.  It was on Amazon.

Coloring books are good here, too.  

Doing the clock but love the jewelry dish idea! Good one!!

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I don’t know if this will work for everyone but someone I know gave a doll to a relative with Alzheimer’s / I think it’s supposed to help with loneliness.  That was a nursing home situation though.

I've heard that exact story. My great aunt was in a memory home and someone gave her a baby doll that she treated like a real baby. Turns out, other residents would steal her "baby." Lots of women wanted one.

She's not there yet, but one day I'll send a baby.

Thank you everyone!!

• Like 3

Last year when fil had to be put in a skilled nursing home after being in the hospital, I put together a book with all the family members for him to take.  We had done family pictures (BIL with a good camera) about 6 months before.  There were pictures by family and individual shots of each person.  Ds helped me to put names on each individual picture.  I didn’t do a fancy hardback book, just an inexpensive 4x6 one printed at Walgreens.  It was cheap enough that if it was lost, it wasn’t a huge deal, I could just have another printed.  With the names on it, it would be easier for him to show those who cared for him without the pressure to remember everyone’s name.

Even if you don’t do this now, it might be good for her to have to look at later.

• Like 1