Menu

Multi-age Spanish curriculum?

nickh

We'd like to add Spanish to our homeschool. Our oldest is 11 and our youngest is 5. Our goal in Spanish is that they are eventually able to have conversations with each other in Spanish. It would be ideal if all the kids could kind of be taught together instead of each one learning on their own, at least at the basic level. I have some Spanish knowledge but that was many years ago so I'm very rusty.

Once they get far enough I plan on getting Spanish first readers that we can start going through, and eventually adding audiobooks or some sort of cartoons, but right now I'm trying to figure out a curriculum that we could do as a family to get us to the place where we could read simple books and have basic conversations in Spanish. Does anyone have a curriculum recommendation? I've seen TalkBox.mom which looks interesting, do others recommend that or do you prefer something else? Thanks.

I recommend theULAT.com You could watch it as a group. On a different day you might like Salsa, from Georgia Public Broadcasting. It is perhaps targeted for children younger than your oldest, but it is reasonably entertaining. If your library has a reasonable Spanish-language section then a third day could be reading Spanish language books to them. If your library does not have this, YouTube can help - in fact you could check out the English version at the same time. The fourth day might be for games like Brainbox Spanish, Memory, labelling things in your house one room a week, etc. The fifth day should probably be for focusing on a grammar topic - gendered nouns, basic verb conjugation, etc. so that they start to become familiar with the concepts. You could get an old textbook or a Practice Makes Perfect Complete Grammar to follow for scope and sequence. 

It would also be a good time to solidify English grammar. If they already understand the concepts of the parts of speech, subjects vs objects, verb tenses, etc. then discussing them in relation to a new language is easier.

Or you could just get a curriculum! 😂

Edited by SusanC
Now with more links!
  • Like 4