Menu

What does “there’s nothing to eat!” Mean at your house?

fairfarmhand

My son says I never buy good stuff, just ingredients. 

at my house the phrase “there’s nothing to eat!” Means we’re out of cereal, chips, and granola bars. And soup. No soup.

basically if there’s nothing that you can’t prepare in less than 60 seconds, there’s nothing to eat. What does this mean at your house?

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

For me, it means there's no ice cream when I desperately crave it (like right this minute).  I try not to have it in the house because I have no control but then I have times like now when I really really want ice cream (but it's probably better that it's not here) and nothing else will do.

• Like 8

It means:

1. I am looking for junky snacks because I have the munchies and there is nothing like that in the pantry that is falling into my hand without me having to dig for it.

2. I am hangry and have no energy to make something for myself and I want something right now! Please make me food! Please don't make me have to turn ingredients into food!

Or

3. Nothing I see is looking like what I want, and I do not know what I want anyway...

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Emba said:

It means there is nothing the speaker WANTS to eat at that moment. We may have a fridge full of leftovers, a cabinet of cereal, and a bowl of fruit, but none of it is junky enough.

It's similar here. The fridge, freezer, and cabinets can all be full, but not of what they want to eat at the moment.  They rarely want junk.  They just want what they want.  It's gotten better since I started taking everyone to the grocery store with me.   

• Like 4

All of the above.

And I do feel my sons’ pain. I hate turning ingredients into food as well. 

Oh, and I’ve bought him easy, junky food (like hot pockets) and then he says, “No...it’s not healthy.”

But he won’t make the healthy options, so he just stands there talking about the no food problem.  I’ve told him it’s his job to write down what he wants me to buy and I’ll buy him food. But he doesn’t actually know what he wants. 🙂

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

In my house, this means no Vanilla Wafers, Goldfish, or Cheez-Its. 

Am I the only one who can't buy boxes of cheezits? One of them will take the whole box into the black hole that is their room. These items are never seen again. Sometimes I can't even find an empty box in the trash can (which is deeply disturbing on a number of levels)! Instead, I find shreds of cheezit box in the dog's crate.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Haha 9

For me: there is no cheese. I live on cheese. 😂

Kids: the cupboards, fridge, and freezers (two!) are jam-packed full, but no food has fallen from the sky into my open mouth, therefore "there is no food". Or more specifically, same as yours - there is nothing that can be prepared in less than 60 seconds.

DH: "going grocery shopping". He's the grocery shopper of the house.

Edited by fraidycat
Finish thought
  • Haha 1

To the teen it means there’s no frozen insta-food.  GF chicken tenders, Daiya GF pizza, gnocchi.  Like someone else said, we buy an allotment of these, and when they are gone they’re gone.  It can also mean, “There are no good leftovers!”

To the tween it means there aren’t chips, pepperoni, coconut yogurt, or sweet treats.

There’s no junk food, candy, or dessert they want that doesn’t require preparation. 

There’s still fruits, vegetables, frozen entrees, canned prepared foods (God forbid someone other than me use a can opener), sandwiches, cookies and pretzels (but not the kind the kid wants), almost every variety of nuts sold in America, at least 3 kinds of dried fruits, peanut butter, apple butter, nutella, and bread.  And there’s semi sweet dark chocolate chips AND marshmallows in the pantry. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

at my house the phrase “there’s nothing to eat!” Means we’re out of cereal, chips, and granola bars. And soup. No soup.

basically if there’s nothing that you can’t prepare in less than 60 seconds, there’s nothing to eat. What does this mean at your house?

Same.  My ds21 was one of those.  Dss20 will find something.  If he has eggs he can always figure something out to make.  

One of my kids says that no matter what we have, LOL.  Often it means her favorite candy or ice cream is absent.

We have so much food of all imaginable kinds, but Miss Picky doesn't like any of that.  Or if there's something she likes, she's too lazy to prepare it (and by "prepare," I usually mean remove from the freezer and place in the microwave).

I gave up long ago, LOL.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Am I the only one who can't buy boxes of cheezits? One of them will take the whole box into the black hole that is their room. These items are never seen again. Sometimes I can't even find an empty box in the trash can (which is deeply disturbing on a number of levels)! Instead, I find shreds of cheezit box in the dog's crate.

Here’s a story you might like: when my eldest was off to college, she told me how her roommate had this “great new idea” and she would buy a big box of Cheezits, then put them in individual snack bags. “They’re cheaper that way,” she revealed. Gee, wish I had thought of that. (Actually, the little buggers would never *eat* them that way, claiming they were stale. So I stopped sometime around age ten or so.) 

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, bolt. said:

It means that they would like me to give them a friendly little lecture about saying what they mean and asking for what they want.

Nobody wants that lecture. Therefore I can't remember the last time anybody said those words.

We have a freezer filled with a half a steer. Whenever I hear those words, the offender is getting a food storage tour, lol. I also don’t hear that much, though ds16 does sometimes say, “There’s no snacky stuff!” 

44 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Lol that’s when I’M the one saying there’s nothing to eat. 😭😂

When dd still lived here, we referred to “medicinal chocolate,” always around for a chocolate emergency. 

3 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I like cheesy salty snacks but I can't stand Cheez-its. What is the deal with kids and Cheez-its? 

I had a Cheez It addiction years ago.  I couldn't stop eating them.  My oldest ds has a Costco membership and bought me 18 pounds of Cheez Its for Mother's Day one year.  I polished those off embarrassingly quickly.  I won't buy them anymore because I can't stop eating them once I start. 

But...they were incredibly profitable.  DH belongs to the Kellogg's Rewards program and they had a contest/sweepstakes where you were entered every time you bought a Kellogg's product (Cheez Its were then - not sure if they are now).  We won a huge cash prize!  

For a while, my main source of calories each day were the darn Cheez Its!  I still love them, but haven't eaten any in at least a year.  

ETA - guess what I'm craving now?  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Exactly that.   My kids used to complain that "you never buy food.....you just buy ingredients"......aka....no favorite snacks.

It means that dd doesn't want anything that is in fully stocked freezer, fridge, pantry or fruit on the counter. We could easily not buy groceries for a month and still have multiple choices of items to eat. But if we don't have the singular item she wants at any given moment, then we don't have anything to eat

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

To my son it means that there are 30 options but he's too hungry to think about how to put anything together. 

Generally?  We were at Costco a week ago, dropped $800, and no one wants to put forth effort to cook. Essentially it means the snacky foods were gobbled up.  (Usually by one teen boy who shall not be named and it drives his father batty because he considers it an insanely selfish act.)