Menu

Do you remember how you started on these boards?

bookbard

Reading the thread with the names made me think of this. Actually, I can't 100% remember myself. I know I was lurking around the special needs and advanced learner boards for a while before I joined - I knew someone from the Project-Based Homeschooling fb group who used to post a bit on the advanced learner board, maybe that's why. Definitely took a couple of years before I hit the chat board, though!

What about you?

• Like 1

Yes! I was researching curriculum options for my then pre-schooler, and you all had such helpful reviews!!!

Then I think a vaccination thread pulled me into the chat board. I was on the wrong side. :blush: If I recall, someone called me on my sources!  

I love this board. ❤️

⬇️ As my siggy says, I joined in 2012! When I hit ten years, I think I should buy a celebratory cupcake! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

When I read this I figured I had to be researching curriculum, so I decided to do a Google search of my user name and the year I started (2008!).  It took me to the last page of my content. I was able to find my first post. It was asking for ideas to bring out two kids together for some homeschool things since they are 6 years apart. 

• Like 1

I don't, really...I was very active on a couple of parenting boards back then, so it's possible I followed someone over from one of those. I just went back and found my first existing post, and it's in 2008 in response to SWB's thread about "the new board." I said, "ooh! I think I will be posting much more often now...this is the kind of board I'm used to. thanks!" So apparently I was not a fan of the previous format 🙂

• Like 1

It looks like I started in 2008? Hard to tell. My oldest would have been 6 then, so it’s likely I found the boards at that time, if not a year before when he was 5. I started homeschooling him when he was 5. 

I wish I could find my first post!  

9 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

When I read this I figured I had to be researching curriculum, so I decided to do a Google search of my user name and the year I started (2008!).  It took me to the last page of my content. I was able to find my first post. It was asking for ideas to bring out two kids together for some homeschool things since they are 6 years apart. 

I tried doing that and I found a post from 2008 (when I think I started on here as well), but just one post on someone else’s thread. Wish I could find my own content. I’ll keep trying.

• Like 1

Just now, Garga said:

I tried doing that and I found a post from 2008 (when I think I started on here as well), but just one post on someone else’s thread. Wish I could find my own content. I’ll keep trying.

I actually put welltrained mind forums first, then my username and year, and nothing in quotes. 

I found my first post!!! I remember the thread sooo well! A single WTMer had a man doing nice things for her and she wanted to make him dinner. We were all convinced wedding bells were in the future, but it turned out he wasn’t interested after all. 

No wait!!!  I re-read to the end. He was interested, and they were setting a date for dinner and then the thread died and I don’t know what happened.  Drat.  

The OP hasn’t posted in 5 years, so now I’ll never know. (She was going to make him lasagna.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes! I was researching curriculum options for my then pre-schooler, and you all had such helpful reviews!!!

Then I think a vaccination thread pulled me into the chat board. I was on the wrong side. :blush: If I recall, someone called me on my sources!  

I love this board. ❤️

⬇️ As my siggy says, I joined in 2012! When I hit ten years, I think I should buy a celebratory cupcake! 

Ahem, only if you can bring enough for the whole class! 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

How do you find your first post?

I clicked on my own picture at the top of this screen (or your picture on your own posts—that works, too). It will take you to a screen about yourself.

Scroll down a bit until you see a white rectangle on the right side that reads “See my activity”.  It will show you a list of “Everything posted by Garga” Click on the >> next to the word “next” to get to the very last page, which will be where your very first post is.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't really remember.  I joined in 2011, and I am sure I was looking for information on homeschooling ideas.  It would have been when my youngest was 5.  I remember around that time wanting to find a better fit for the kids and I with curriculum, so possibly when I was googling for curriculum recomendations?  I wish I would have found WTM (book and forums) sooner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Garga said:

I clicked on my own picture at the top of this screen (or your picture on your own posts—that works, too). It will take you to a screen about yourself.

Scroll down a bit until you see a white rectangle on the right side that reads “See my activity”.  It will show you a list of “Everything posted by Garga” Click on the >> next to the word “next” to get to the very last page, which will be where your very first post is.

I found it this way and now I"m going down a rabbit hole of reading super old posts. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Garga said:

Wait, do people not do this?? I do this to everyone, lol. I've gone back and reread quite a few posters' old threads, because it's really fun to see how people's stories have progressed. 

• Like 1

And I think I've been on here for about 3 years, so I'm a relative newbie 😄 . I was researching homeschooling when DD8 was in kindergarten... somewhere around 4 months in, she said she didn't want to go to school anymore, so I was researching the options. This site was often on top of the Google results, so I'd get drawn in. I lurked for quite a while before posting! 

And then my first thread was something controversial about math and I had people pile on me, lol. I always seem to start off on the wrong foot with forums, because I go all-in with my enthusiasms in a way that I never would in real life. (All of those posts are gone, since they were under my old username, which I had to nuke due to someone ratting me out to my employer 😞 .) 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

And I think I've been on here for about 3 years, so I'm a relative newbie 😄 . I was researching homeschooling when DD8 was in kindergarten... somewhere around 4 months in, she said she didn't want to go to school anymore, so I was researching the options. This site was often on top of the Google results, so I'd get drawn in. I lurked for quite a while before posting! 

And then my first thread was something controversial about math and I had people pile on me, lol. I always seem to start off on the wrong foot with forums, because I go all-in with my enthusiasms in a way that I never would in real life. (All of those posts are gone, since they were under my old username, which I had to nuke due to someone ratting me out to my employer 😞 .) 

Oh no. Is that what happened? I never knew the story. People are jerks. I am so sorry. I've tried being anon before and it just never works on a long-term board like this, so I don't even bother anymore.

ETA: I should say *some* people are jerks. You all are lovely. ❤️ 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Oh no. Is that what happened? I never knew the story. People are jerks. I am so sorry. I've tried being anon before and it just never works on a long-term board like this, so I don't even bother anymore.

Yeah, that's what happened. I don't try to be anonymous, either, but I now try to be marginally more careful and keep employer gossip more to the private groups. 

They got an e-mail from a "concerned parent" about me posting on here and assured me they didn't find anything objectionable. But I was really not interested in them reading everything I've ever written 😛 . 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, that's what happened. I don't try to be anonymous, either, but I try to be marginally more careful and keep employer gossip more to the private groups. 

They got an e-mail from a "concerned parent" about me posting on here and assured me they didn't find anything objectionable. But I was really not interested in them reading everything I've ever written 😛 . 

Smart. I am going to have to be more careful, too, once I start working FT again. I've been able to spout off willy nilly for a decade without worrying about retribution. The jig is up. 

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Smart. I am going to have to be more careful, too, once I start working FT again. I've been able to spout off willy nilly for a decade without worrying about retribution. The jig is up. 

That's kind of how I felt, lol! And I don't even work full-time... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I thought I joined earlier than 2018 🙃 I was reading the special needs board. @vonfirmath posted about this forum at the carseats.org forum (https://www.car-seat.org) so I was curious and took a look.

ETA:

I found my posts all the way back to 2012

I guess that says something about how long I've had this username.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I came here during the old boards.  "First!"

I was a total newbie in a homeschool group and a bunch of people said they did "classical" and when I asked what that meant the only answer they gave was "well trained mind".  Google gave me my answer and in the process I found the hive!

• Like 6

I used to be on a different homeschooling board which I really liked at the time but now I can’t even remember its name. It was secular which is why I liked it. But I think it closed down so I came here since I was using the books at the time. I’ve been here since at least 2010 I think. 

• Like 1

I started when my oldest was in kindergarten, so 2002? - back in the day of the board flips. I was looking for things to supplement his reading ability and a friend recommended The Well-Trained Mind book. There was a web address somewhere in the book and I checked it out and have been here through all the board iterations since. I don’t post a lot, but have leaned SO much. I have really appreciated the diversity of thought, as well as the overall intelligence of posters here. My perspectives have been challenged by being here, in the very best way possible. I love this community so much! 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Was 2008 the start of this board format?   I was here with the old boards....where they would flip. 

And wasn't this part of Veg Source at one time.....like late 1990s /very early 2000s?

No, God forbid.  Vegsource pre-dated WTM, and WTM was such a wonderful alternative.  Big puffy heart love for "Susan's living-room!" 

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure mine went back to 1998 or 1999.  I had a different board name and it's so much fun to go see the things we were discussing back then.  I know a bunch of us really enjoyed having the boards flip and then the annual date did something wonky when it should have said, "2000."   

Probably a few boardies remember when PW was releasing the chapters of her book, one installment at a time.  Anyone besides me remember that?  

• Like 8

I joined under this name in June 2014; DD#1 would have been 5 then. I had joined under a different name before that, I think a few months earlier, but I was accidentally banned after I reported a spammer - I don't report spammers any more, lol. They reinstated me once they realized it was a mistake, but I could no longer access PMs (and maybe other stuff, I don't recall), so I started this account instead.

I was probably lurking since spring-ish 2012, though, when I decided I would be homeschooling.

• Like 3

I joined when my kids were 4yo (10 years ago).  I was having a minor crisis trying to figure out what to do with my youngest, who was 6 days too young to be accelerated in B&M school but needed it badly.  Someone on an adoption forum recommended this board, and the rest is history.  😛

It's funny that I'm sort of an old timer now.  I felt like a newbie for years.

• Like 5

I read The Well Trained Mind years before I had my first child....back in 1999 or so.  I came looking for it when I had questions about teaching my then four year old how to read, because TWTM swore up and down that reading was easy, and honestly, while I look back and realize now that my oldest learned to read super easily, it wasn't nearly as easy as SWB led me to believe.  I thought for sure I was doing something wrong.  

ETA:  That was in...early 2008.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2

This platform for the WTM boards started in 2008. The *original* board was in a different format and was started in the late 1990s.

I joined that original board in 2001 or 2002 (yes, I typed that correctly -- I've been on these boards for almost 20 years), after another homeschooler on another homeschooling board pointed me this way. We lived in different cities, met online via that other homeschooling board, and we actually met up once and visited a Science Museum together with our kids. I have always been touched by the kindness of both in-person and online homeschoolers, and have tried to help "pay forward" to others for all the help and wisdom I received from those many homeschoolers who went before me on these boards. 💕

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 15

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

I read The Well Trained Mind years before I had my first child....back in 1999 or so.  I came looking for it when I had questions about teaching my then four year old how to read, because TWTM swore up and down that reading was easy, and honestly, while I look back and realize now that my oldest learned to read super easily, it wasn't nearly as easy as SWB led me to believe.  I thought for sure I was doing something wrong.  

Did you ever read her article on teaching a child to read, and then hitting the choc chips for comfort immediately after a lesson? I could SO relate! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Did you ever read her article on teaching a child to read, and then hitting the choc chips for comfort immediately after a lesson? I could SO relate! 

I did, but it didn't come out till after I'd taught my kids to read.  

I was here for the 2008 board change over!  I had JUST joined when it switched.

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Wow, you decided early! 😄 What made you decide on it? 

DD#2 was born late 2011. I decided during my maternity leave that I wanted to quit my teaching job and stay home with the girls. I had been teaching at a private Christian school, and it was important to me that my kids' education have our faith integrated with it. Leaving that job meant losing the tuition benefit that came with it, so...homeschooling. 🙂 During that maternity leave, a friend gave me several homeschooling books, including TWTM. I also kept DD#1 home from daycare for a week to do a "trial run" and make sure I wasn't choosing something that would make me insane, lol. 

So I finished out that year of teaching and then started doing homeschool curriculum with DD#1 that summer, when she was about 3.5. Turns out I have kids whose particular academic needs are probably better served at home anyway, so I'm very thankful that it's the path we ended up taking. 🙂 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Wow, you decided early! 😄 What made you decide on it? 

Not who you asked, but this made me laugh.

The only time I've been to a homeschooling convention was when I dragged dh to one while we were dating.  I knew long before I had children that I wanted to homeschool, so I needed to make sure that anyone I married would be on board. :)

It was kind of funny, because at every table someone would ask, "How old are your children?"  "Um, we don't have any.  We're just doing research."

To answer the OP's question:  I joined in 2015 -- I had been homeschooling for 10ish years -- and had just bought Writing With Skill.  That led me to investigate where it had come from, and I found this wonderful community. :)

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

What did we used to say about the forums?

Faster than google and less judgmental than your MIL. 

Yes! And I have had my fair share of good MIL advice here over the years. Probably the most life changing was when I was here complaining about how my in-laws came every year for Christmas and basically took over and I was hardly with my own kids doing what I wanted to do with them. Someone, Rosie maybe?, told me to decide what I wanted my Christmas with my kids to look like, make plans, and then let MIL know when we were available to fit something in with her. Life changing! I was a total doormat before and now much better at establishing and maintaining boundaries, and so much happier because of it. Just one example of countless ways my life has improved from the collective wisdom here! 

• Like 9