Menu

InDesign

Rebecca

I liked Terry White's youtube channel for InDesign. I know I watched other ones too, but he's the one I would click on first if his video was in the search results.

https://www.youtube.com/user/terrywhitetechblog

ETA: DH didn't prefer Terry White, lol, he liked the Nigel French guy on Linda (I think now LinkedIn Learning). He was more in-depth.

ETA again: DH says if he had to go over and learn again, he wouldn't go the free route, unless he had to only do 2-3 types of things, which he would just watch a couple videos on those specifically. But if he wanted to learn well, it's too complex a program to go the free route and would take forever. So, finding a course would probably be best. He knows the name Maria or something from inDesign Secrets and she might have one. One of the courses you mentioned would probably work, sorry we don't know a specific course.

Edited by Moonhawk

Thx. It would help in a job I currently have. I saw Udemy offered a course with a certificate. Our local community college offers it as well. I would really like to be proficient- so just trying to figure out best options. Also wondering if I should try to learn Adobe Creative Cloud as a whole rather than just InDesign.

Appreciate any thoughts/help!

5 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Is there a reason why you prefer InDesign? Serif’s Affinity suite is much more intuitive for new users and a lot more affordable (with the same functionality).

I love the Affinity suite and have tried to promote its use on this forum. Affinity Photo competes with Adobe Photoshop and I prefer Affinity Designer to Adobe Illustrator.

The last time I looked  the Affinity products were on sale for $25 each, which is a steal! That is to purchase outright (not a monthly fee).

Affinity Publisher (which aims to take on InDesign) is fairly new. I'm not sure if a person hopes to get into professional layout work that Publisher is a fully mature  product, so it depends on one's purpose.

Affinity Publisher is great for pamphlets and small projects. My son has used it for school reports and I've done work for a non-profit group I volunteer with. But InDesign still owns the professional publishing world (beyond the few Quark die-hards).

Bill

5 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Also wondering if I should try to learn Adobe Creative Cloud as a whole rather than just InDesign.

Adobe Creative Cloud is just the suite of apps and InDesign is included in that suite. When I took a class at community college for graphic design, I get to use all the apps in the Adobe Creative Cloud for free.

”What is Creative Cloud?

Creative Cloud is a collection of 20+ desktop and mobile apps and services for photography, design, video, web, UX, and more. Now you can take your ideas to new places with Photoshop on the iPad, draw and paint with Adobe Fresco, and design for 3D and AR. Join our global creative community — and make something better together.”

15 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I love the Affinity suite and have tried to promote its use on this forum. Affinity Photo competes with Adobe Photoshop and I prefer Affinity Designer to Adobe Illustrator.

The last time I looked  the Affinity products were on sale for $25 each, which is a steal! That is to purchase outright (not a monthly fee).

Affinity Publisher (which aims to take on InDesign) is fairly new. I'm not sure if a person hopes to get into professional layout work that Publisher is a fully mature  product, so it depends on one's purpose.

Affinity Publisher is great for pamphlets and small projects. My son has used it for school reports and I've done work for a non-profit group I volunteer with. But InDesign still owns the professional publishing world (beyond the few Quark die-hards).

Bill

Same. That’s why I asked. Adobe is highly overrated IMO. I had great success using the old version of Serif PagePlus for professional projects like annual reports but eventually used Serif for all of my digiscrapping needs. The offset printing companies I worked with couldn’t tell the difference and neither could my employers. The file formats are compatible. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

Thank you so much. Yes, it is for professional publishing/editing.  The company I work for specifically uses Adobe and InDesign. I have never learned the program, and I would like to because I am limited in what I can do there because of my lack of skill in this area. 

I was mainly wondering if there was a reputable online tutorial besides going through my local community college.

-Rebecca

7 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Thx. It would help in a job I currently have. I saw Udemy offered a course with a certificate. Our local community college offers it as well. I would really like to be proficient- so just trying to figure out best options. Also wondering if I should try to learn Adobe Creative Cloud as a whole rather than just InDesign.

Appreciate any thoughts/help!

To get the most out of page layout, I think having mastery of pixel editing, vector graphics, and digital photo processing would be very import skills to have.

What is your purpose here? If you want skills that can add value as an employee (but you are not intending to get a job in professional publishing), the advice from Sleepyone to consider the Affinity suite is a good one.

They are awfully good products, work well together, are intuitive (once one gets them), and very inexpensive to "own" (not rent).

Bill

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Thank you so much. Yes, it is for professional publishing/editing.  The company I work for specifically uses Adobe and InDesign. I have never learned the program, and I would like to because I am limited in what I can do there because of my lack of skill in this area. 

I was mainly wondering if there was a reputable online tutorial besides going through my local community college.

-Rebecca

Sorry, I missed this response as I was typing.

If you are at a firm that uses InDesign and wish to advance, I'd also look at taking classes in Photoshop and Illustrator as core compliments if you don't know these programs. Maybe Lightroom as well? 

Ask at work what skills they would value/need.

In addition to classes there are tons of tutorials for graphics programs online these days.

Bill

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Same. That’s why I asked. Adobe is highly overrated IMO. I had great success using the old version of Serif PagePlus for professional projects like annual reports but eventually used Serif for all of my digiscrapping needs. The offset printing companies I worked with couldn’t tell the difference and neither could my employers. The file formats are compatible. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

I'm with you. The Affinity suite is brilliant IMO. The one sticking point is if one works at a firm that is wedded to Adobe, and especially InDesign. No getting around it.

For almost any other purpose, including parents and students who want to learn professional level graphics programs without the high cost and bloated aspects of Adobe, I'd be right there with you preaching Affinity. 

I've used Affinity Photo and Designer since they were in beta, and Publisher since its release (but am least experienced with it) and I'm a huge fan.

Never used the Serif products like PagePlus. Was Adobe. Not anymore.

Bill

• Like 1

I literally took a college class in InDesign years ago and I don’t think I’d call myself proficient. If you have access to it, just play around with it. Once you realize you don’t know how to do something, Google that thing. Try to find a video. 

I’m a huge fan of keyboard shortcuts. If you can learn some, I highly recommend that. I used to use Quark and knew a lot of shortcuts. Then I used Scribus and knew some. I cannot remember if they overlap with InDesign. I own three Affinity products but only purchased 2 recently so haven’t tried Publisher yet. The magazine I work for uses InDesign but I’m not the one that lays it out so I don’t personally use it. It’s not on my device. 

I vaguely remember making a brochure, flyer, and resumé in our class. My current resumé is in Scribus. I remember working with the bezier tool in class which I found to be a pain. I used the bezier tool later in my newspaper job with Quark and honestly hardly used that tool. I guess it depends what you need to do. We didn’t do vector art at the newspaper.