Menu

Anyone want to place a bet?

DawnM

On 5/6/2021 at 2:04 PM, Katy said:

It means more money per month of adoption subsidy. It’s much easier to convince an adoption worker the child needs a higher subsidy before adoption than it is to appeal for a higher subsidy later, when your kid needs inpatient treatment. 

Interesting. Our state doesn't have subsidies at all anymore.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hippymamato3 said:

What state are you in?

ETA:  According to NACAC, all US states have federal adoption assistance, and there is a link to additional state assistance information here: https://www.nacac.org/help/adoption-assistance/adoption-assistance-us/state-programs/

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

What state are you in?

ETA:  According to NACAC, all US states have federal adoption assistance, and there is a link to additional state assistance information here: https://www.nacac.org/help/adoption-assistance/adoption-assistance-us/state-programs/

In reality, NH got rid of cash subsidies 12ish years ago. However, they do provide state insurance. (We last adopted 9.5 years ago so it's possible things changed, but not as far as I know.) 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Katy said:

What state are you in?

Ah yes...the loopholes listed on there are many. It is "decided" if a child is eligible. None that I know of have been. Our son, in particular, should have been. 

This is from the NH Adoption Assistance site:

Adoption Assistance

Adoption Assistance may be available to adoptive parents of a child with special needs if the child and adopting parents meet the eligibility requirements of the Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act.

Edited by hippymamato3
  • Like 1

WELP, that was weird.

It only lasted about 10 min.   The mother kept unmuting herself and screaming at everyone.   She says she wants to fire her lawyers and get her own (she has no money.)   Her lawyers said she has been sending them threatening texts (not like physical harm, just more like "you are incompetent idiots" but with expletives attached.)

What a MESS.

• Sad 15

16 minutes ago, NewnameC said:

Oops. I saw your update after I posted. 

I’m praying that her request/outburst/belligerence/behavior

does not cause a delay in the case. 

Me, too! 

I’m also praying it will influence the judge to rule completely in Dawn’s favor! 

• Like 4

Sorry it was a weird hearing, but on the bright side, it sounds like her behavior is going to tank her chances. You won’t have to be the bad guy...even her counsel knows she’s unstable. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:00 PM, hippymamato3 said:

There are also federal adoption subsidies.  So, while your state may not give them, some children in your state may receive them.  

Adoption subsidy was a godsend for my child and our family. 

7 hours ago, Ottakee said:

So hard   did they make any decisions on the phone visits?

Literally nothing was talked about.   So, nope, we still get phone calls......tomorrow should be all kinds of fun.

• Sad 15

2 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

Hang in there Dawn. I'm going with 27 seconds today. 

Based on court over the last few days, I am wondering if we will even get that far.   She may spout off from the min we get on the phone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

PLEASE DON"T QUOTE:

She is being appointed a guardian ad litem.   They are hoping that person can explain to her what is going on and speak for her.

Does that mean they are declaring her incapacitated?   I am confused.

Edited by DawnM

Hi Dawn,

Adults typically only get a GAL in addition to public defender if there is a serious mental health or IQ diagnosis. Being declared incompetent is a different legal process and requires a really high standard of medical evidence. Many doctors refuse to participate in that. My guess is that her behavior on camera was so erratic that coupled with her documented diagnosis (if she has one, whatever it is) that the court feels she needs a representative to speak in her best interest. This is different from a public defender, who represents what the client WANTS. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

(sorry I quoted!)

I suspect it means the judge doesn't want to deal with her any more, but needs someone to represent her so they don't violate her rights and give her grounds for an appeal with actual merit.  It's a good sign. The judge knows she cannot be a good parent, she can't even pull it together enough to shut up in court.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Katy said:

I suspect it means the judge doesn't want to deal with her any more, but needs someone to represent her so they don't violate her rights and give her grounds for an appeal with actual merit.  It's a good sign. The judge knows she cannot be a good parent, she can't even pull it together enough to shut up in court.

The judge actually didn't want it, She wanted to just be done with the whole thing ASAP, but the lawyers and the DSS workers wanted it.   

Will she be present while the GAL is speaking in court or will they ask her to not be there?   

She openly yelled that she doesn't want a GAL, so I can't imagine this is going to go well.

And can you please delete your quote of my post?   Thanks.

She will be present in court for ALL proceedings until TPR. The GAL will likely have to state that GAL has met with client and explained all her options. Then GAL will make their own, independent recommendations. In a case such as this one, GAL will likely affirm what the caseworker recommends (TPR, etc.). Appointing a GAL for her at this stage supports the idea that parent is unable to function.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Agreeing with Harriet Vane.

The GAL is a safeguard against a court's likely decision. The termination of parental rights is serious, and having an independent review of mom by the GAL helps the court be at peace that her potential lack of capacity has been dealt with.  It's all in the parental rights arm of things that is only part of the whole TPR/adoption process. 

I'm sorry that the displays of her illness are so disruptive and targeted. Outbursts and displays like that are common enough in TPRs, but it's still hard for everyone to go through in the process. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

How is it going? Hopefully today was short. 

It was not, and it was stressful.    she says just enough to show her distrust but not enough to hang up.   She said he was "acting weird" and only acts like that when he is upset, so she just knows he is upset.  Um......alrighty then.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to start a new thread, but decided to embed this info in this one so that it won't be as easy to find.

We have had 3 court dates recently.   In 2 of them she screamed that she was "firing her lawyer."  There was more screamed AT the law firm outside of court, by her.    The judge finally told that law firm to go ahead and file paperwork to stop representing her.

I just found out they are assigning a new lawyer to her.   This will be along with the GAL who has been assigned to her.

Why would they give her a new court appointed lawyer?   I don't get it.   If you don't like the one assigned, but you have had her for two years, you don't get a new one right before trial.   But I guess that is just me.

Meanwhile she is in contempt of court and they will be addressing that on Mon as well.

I wish I could be more specific, but I can't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 15

They tend to offer a lot of crazy concessions to make sure rights have been upheld to the fullest before a termination. It is my sincere hope and prayer for you that a new lawyer does not slow or complicate the case. Hugs for you. Will be praying all the way through Monday.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I was going to start a new thread, but decided to embed this info in this one so that it won't be as easy to find.

We have had 3 court dates recently.   In 2 of them she screamed that she was "firing her lawyer."  There was more screamed AT the law firm outside of court, by her.    The judge finally told that law firm to go ahead and file paperwork to stop representing her.

I just found out they are assigning a new lawyer to her.   This will be along with the GAL who has been assigned to her.

Why would they give her a new court appointed lawyer?   I don't get it.   If you don't like the one assigned, but you have had her for two years, you don't get a new one right before trial.   But I guess that is just me.

Meanwhile she is in contempt of court and they will be addressing that on Mon as well.

I wish I could be more specific, but I can't.

Because parental rights are important. They should never be terminated without every oppportunity for reunification to happen. And it's better for you, too, in the long run if every attempt has been made so that there are no true appealable issues. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

They tend to offer a lot of crazy concessions to make sure rights have been upheld to the fullest before a termination. It is my sincere hope and prayer for you that a new lawyer does not slow or complicate the case. Hugs for you. Will be praying all the way through Monday.

Because parental rights are important. They should never be terminated without every oppportunity for reunification to happen. And it's better for you, too, in the long run if every attempt has been made so that there are no true appealable issues. 

Yes this is why they are bending over backwards for her.  I think they go too far, but I guess in the end everyone will know they did everything they could.

• Like 3

Every opportunity HAS been awarded to her.....and more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

You can think of it as equivalent to a criminal trial. She has to be given a lawyer for it. I hope it's over for you all soon. 

I am thinking of it that way......even the judge said, "This has gone on too long."   and the judge also said, "You can get your own attorney if you like but the trial date will not change" which too me meant that they weren't appointing her a new one just because she wanted one.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I am thinking of it that way......even the judge said, "This has gone on too long."   and the judge also said, "You can get your own attorney if you like but the trial date will not change" which too me meant that they weren't appointing her a new one just because she wanted one.   

If they don't it will likely drag out - that would be appealable probably. 

• Like 2