Menu

Class of 2021 Decisions

RootAnn

I know several kids have decided & shared. For those who want to share, I'll keep a running list in this first post of where your kid is going & any awards/scholarships they've received that you want to share as well. Please feel free to share WHY they are deciding to go where they are going.

Agnes Scott: DD of Dmmetler

Brevard College (Brevard, NC): DS of Ethel Mertz

Centre College:  DS of Alice

Cornell University:  DS of Hadley

Georgetown:  DS of linders

Georgia Tech:  DD of P21

(Ireland) college: DS of MEmama

Michigan Technological University:  DD of skimomma

Missouri Valley College:  DS of CinV

Peru State College:  DD of RootAnn

Trinity Western University:  DD of freesia

University of Alabama:  DD of BusyMom5

University of Cincinnati:  DS of Sebastian (a lady)

University of Tennessee-Knoxville:  DS of teachermom2834

Edited by RootAnn
Updated 5/5
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

DS will be studying in Ireland, school and location private, as a computer science major. 

It was his top choice school for his major, and he received an offer for admission 6 days after he submitted his application. He waited until all his decisions were in before officially accepting, though in his heart he knew that’s where he wanted to attend. He received a very generous scholarship.

He has long wanted to study overseas and had originally planned to apply to schools in the UK, but Brexit changed his mind. The university he will be attending has the most highly rated computer science program in the country and offers incredible resources in his field. The school has a large international community, and a degree from this school will allow him access to work opportunities anywhere he chooses in the EU. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DS will be studying in Ireland, school and location private, as a computer science major. 

It was his top choice school for his major, and he received an offer for admission 6 days after he submitted his application. He waited until all his decisions were in before officially accepting, though in his heart he knew that’s where he wanted to attend. He received a very generous scholarship.

He has long wanted to study overseas and had originally planned to apply to schools in the UK, but Brexit changed his mind. The university he will be attending has the most highly rated computer science program in the country and offers incredible resources in his field. The school has a large international community, and a degree from this school will allow him access to work opportunities anywhere he chooses in the EU. 

Nice!  I studied for a year at University College Cork and it was WONDERFUL.  I am still in contact with those friends.   I wish him all the best.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@MEmamaLet me know if you want me to list it differently.

My DD decided early on that she wanted to live at home in her own room & bed. I made her apply to one other school that is drivable, but she stayed 100% firm & didn't even visit the other school. She wants the grounding of "home" as she deals with all the stress of college.

She's already taking classes there & will come in with 20 credits. The academic caliber is not high, but she's not an academic high flyer, so that's ok. Classes are small. Professors are very approachable. Opportunities to get involved abound. She's not going to be a social butterfly, though,  as that's not her thing.

She plans to major in Kinesiology & minor in Graphic Design. She's my math-hating, art & writing kid who wants to have a fall back plan. She's approaching this as, "I need a degree, so I'll get a degree." 

As mom, I wish there were more kids (campus has only 300ish kids) because I wanted her to be able to find her group. It isn't likely to happen which makes me sad. But, you never know what 4 yrs will bring.

• Like 17

L is a recipient of the Elizabeth Kiss Trailblazer scholarship at Agnes Scott, as well as an additional grant from the bio alumni association, and will be pursuing a BS in bio and a dual MAT in Science Education/Gifted Ed (dual with Mercer U). Decision factors were the school vibe, location, that they have really been doing a great job with COVID, Internship opportunities, and a snake in the fresco on one of the buildings :). 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 21

DD is attending University of Alabama and awarded the National Merit Scholarship.   Factors that went into the decision were an amazing scholarship, the study abroad opportunities,  and she thinks the campus feels like a resort.  Its beautiful and as soon as we started walking around campus I could just see her there!   Its a little further away than we had thought,  but I think its going to be a great place for her. 

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

• Like 23

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

@MEmamaLet me know if you want me to list it differently.

My DD decided early on that she wanted to live at home in her own room & bed. I made her apply to one other school that is drivable, but she stayed 100% firm & didn't even visit the other school. She wants the grounding of "home" as she deals with all the stress of college.

She's already taking classes there & will come in with 20 credits. The academic caliber is not high, but she's not an academic high flyer, so that's ok. Classes are small. Professors are very approachable. Opportunities to get involved abound. She's not going to be a social butterfly, though,  as that's not her thing.

She plans to major in Kinesiology & minor in Graphic Design. She's my math-hating, art & writing kid who wants to have a fall back plan. She's approaching this as, "I need a degree, so I'll get a degree." 

As mom, I wish there were more kids (campus has only 300ish kids) because I wanted her to be able to find her group. It isn't likely to happen which makes me sad. But, you never know what 4 yrs will bring.

It’s good, thank you! And thank you for starting this thread! So fun to see where everyone is going, in one place.

Also, congrats to your DD. The school sounds like a good fit for her. 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ds is attending the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Basic automatic scholarships and honors program but nothing super special 🙂 

It is the only place he ever wanted to go. He has been very involved in 4-H since 7th grade and has spent many weeks there in camps and conferences and has many adult mentors who work there and older students he knows that attend there. He has friends from all over the state that are all planning to attend so he will know a lot of people and for the first time actually have a lot of friends who actually live close by and are easy to see for socializing. We live about 70 miles away and we have family in Knoxville. I expect him to throw himself into all the big school stuff. He is planning to study business analytics and that is actually a really strong program there. So I think it is a good choice.

Interestingly, his girlfriend of 2.5 years that he met on a 4-H trip but lives two hours away from us will also be attending. So that will be an interesting wrinkle in adjusting to college life and having his girlfriend suddenly always around and how they both will balance that. I like her and they are both pretty down to earth but I don’t love the potential drama that brings while he is starting his life there. We’ll see how that goes. 

I’m excited for him. He’s so ready! 

Congrats and best wishes to all.

• Like 20

I cannot wait to post on the thread. My ds is still deciding between 4(!) places and driving me nuts. He hates to make decisions and they are all good options and somewhat similar so I really have no idea which one he will pick. 😜

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

S21 had many good choices, including in-state that would have been nearly free, but today we put down the deposit on Georgetown (gulp!). Plans to study economics and government, potentially law school. After a really good visit there two weeks ago, his decision was set. He is already looking forward to interning "on the Hill" either with government or a non-profit. It will be a challenge, but he's ready for it.

It seems like yesterday that I was sitting with him on the couch with "the Dewey book" (Phonics Pathways). And playing RightStart math games. And reading SOTW. He wouldn't be where he is without all the support and ideas I got on these boards. He presented his senior thesis yesterday, and S19 came home from college for that. As we were driving over, S19 said, "You know mom, a big reason we did so well is because you homeschooled us for so long. You made us ask questions and think." 😂

• Like 28

I’ve posted this in the college acceptance thread, but I’ll post it again here as well so that Root Ann has a comprehensive list.  Thanks for compiling this!  I’ve been reading these threads for years, and they inspired me to stay the path with homeschooling.

My son is heading to Cornell University to study mathematics and computer science.  He’s dreamed about studying in their math department for years, and has been convinced the school is a good fit for him since he sat in on a couple of classes his junior year.

Congratulations to everyone!!

• Like 23

20 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

DD is attending University of Alabama and awarded the National Merit Scholarship.   Factors that went into the decision were an amazing scholarship, the study abroad opportunities,  and she thinks the campus feels like a resort.  Its beautiful and as soon as we started walking around campus I could just see her there!   Its a little further away than we had thought,  but I think its going to be a great place for her. 

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

My Bama grad loved his time there.  My college sr (graduating in 2 weeks!!) will be attending grad school there for MLIS with archival concentration.

• Like 8

My ds will attend University of Cincinnati. He was admitted to the College of Engineering and Applied Science for mechanical engineering. 

He received several scholarships worth around $11,000 (two renewable and one that could be replaced with a departmental scholarship).

University of Cincinnati has been his first choice for two years, since touring there. In particular, he is excited about the coop program. Other schools had the option of doing a coop, but it is a required part of the curriculum at UC. He should end up doing four coops by the time he graduates. Each is paid, coordinated through the college, and related to his studies. 

It didn't hurt that his brother's engineering friends at Stanford were enthusiastic about the Cincinnati coop options. 

Go Bearcats!

• Like 22

Congrats to all of you and your graduates!

@Alice Hang in there. I remember the stress well from dd#1!!

I'll put the update date to the edit line & "like" your post when I add your info. Thanks for your patience when it takes me a bit. Things are pretty crazy here as you all understand too well. 

• Like 3

On 4/26/2021 at 7:32 AM, Sebastian (a lady) said:

My ds will attend University of Cincinnati. He was admitted to the College of Engineering and Applied Science for mechanical engineering. 

He received several scholarships worth around $11,000 (two renewable and one that could be replaced with a departmental scholarship).

University of Cincinnati has been his first choice for two years, since touring there. In particular, he is excited about the coop program. Other schools had the option of doing a coop, but it is a required part of the curriculum at UC. He should end up doing four coops by the time he graduates. Each is paid, coordinated through the college, and related to his studies. 

It didn't hurt that his brother's engineering friends at Stanford were enthusiastic about the Cincinnati coop options. 

Go Bearcats!

DS prioritised coops after touring Northeastern (to which he applied and was accepted, but Ireland had meanwhile stolen his heart lol). Given the way the job market works I totally agree they are the way to go. Graduating with real life experience, a portfolio of work and connections in industry makes landing that essential fresh out of university job a whole lot easier and more meaningful.

• Like 10

On 4/23/2021 at 6:44 PM, teachermom2834 said:

Ds is attending the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Basic automatic scholarships and honors program but nothing super special 🙂 

Well... I have an update. An UPDATE!!!

This should now read:

Ds is attending the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. He was awarded the top scholarship which includes full tuition and fees, room and board, and study abroad stipend. 🙂

I guess he was an alternate and didn't know it. Well, it saved him the interview process and stress. He was walking out of his last de final, completely done with high school when he got the call. What a day! 

(He has been working full time the past few months while finishing up de and will continue until he goes in August. He was going to take federal loans and give that school every penny of his earnings...and now everything has changed. Unbelievable. I'm truly in disbelief and am not telling anyone IRL until I see it in writing...though some people that know me IRL are on here 😉)

• Like 22

25 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Ds is attending the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. He was awarded the top scholarship which includes full tuition and fees, room and board, and study abroad stipend. 🙂

I guess he was an alternate and didn't know it. Well, it saved him the interview process and stress. He was walking out of his last de final, completely done with high school when he got the call. What a day! 

(He has been working full time the past few months while finishing up de and will continue until he goes in August. He was going to take federal loans and give that school every penny of his earnings...and now everything has changed. Unbelievable. I'm truly in disbelief and am not telling anyone IRL until I see it in writing...though some people that know me IRL are on here 😉)

Congratulations!  What a wonderful surprise!  🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yay! I can finally post. DS decided on Centre College in Danville, Kentucky. It came down to that and another college and he spent all day going back and forth before finally making the decision. Then today, he got an email from the other college saying they had “found” an extra $3000 a year scholarship for him! It didn’t change anything but was interesting to see them do that, especially after he had sent in the form declining. The decision wasn’t financially based in the end and Centre is still cheaper than the other one as they gave him a nice merit package as well. 

• Like 20

DD will be attending Georgia Tech. She is officially a Stamps Presidential Scholar!

She was also previously awarded a scholarship from the College of Sciences but declined it in order to accept Stamps. 

I’m so proud of all our kids! Congratulations to everyone!

• Like 17