Menu

GUILTY!!!!!! They announced the verdict!

Catwoman

Edited to add — GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS!!!

The jury has made its decision — news reports are saying that the verdict will be read during this hour.

Edited by Catwoman
YAY!!! Edited the title with the news!
  • Like 12

18 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Nervous here too.

I don’t want to say I’m invested in this, but I just had to make a quick trip to the bathroom and I brought my iPad in there with me so I wouldn’t miss anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

• Catwoman changed the title to GUILTY!!!!!! They’re getting ready to announce the verdict!
  • Catwoman changed the title to GUILTY!!!!!! They announced the verdict!

I’m relieved as well, but concerned about appeals. Judge Cahill alluded to this yesterday in court, suggesting that Maxine Waters’ statements at a rally in Brooklyn Center might give the defense grounds for appeal. 

Edited by Gobblygook

It’s interesting, it’s front page news in all the European countries I’ve checked but there’s nothing in Latin American papers. 

eta wait, Argentina is reporting it. Now Peru. Nothing in Mexico or Central America. Odd.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kand said:

Such a relief. It was surprisingly emotional for me. 

Same. My relief is immense. I didn’t realize just how heavily this was weighing on me. 

Of course, it’s not justice. But at least it is an important step in the right direction. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, kand said:

Such a relief. It was surprisingly emotional for me. 

It’s not surprising to me. I don’t want my kids growing up in a world where a videotaped murderer could be found innocent.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kand said:

I just didn’t expect to be instantly in tears. I’m not a big crier. It doesn’t make up for all the times justice has not been served, but I hope this is the tide turning and that knowing they will be held accountable for excessive force will change the behavior of police officers.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I cried a little bit too. I've been a more of a crier since the pandemic hit. 

10 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I cried a little bit too. I've been a more of a crier since the pandemic hit. 

I keep thinking it’s been a long, weary-ing year. And then I feel guilty because just because I didn’t know how bad things were for black people doesn’t mean it wasn’t always this bad or worse. And for that matter the pandemic has been much worse for them too, at least among the people I know. 

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Katy said:

It’s not surprising to me. I don’t want my kids growing up in a world where a videotaped murderer could be found innocent.

BINGO! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Who would rate this thread one star?  I hope that was a mistake. 

This is probably that guy on my FB Ive been meaning to unfriend. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

I just saw this on Twitter, it's the original report released by Minneapolis Police: some dude resisted arrest, appeared to be on drugs, and had a medical issue, so cops called an ambulance and he later died in the hospital. NBD, no weapons were drawn, nothing to see here...

Thank God for the courage of a teenage girl who realized she was witnessing a murder and decided that "the world needed to see what I was seeing."

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 3.54.42 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 10

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I just saw this on Twitter, it's the original report released by Minneapolis Police: some dude resisted arrest, appeared to be on drugs, and had a medical issue, so cops called an ambulance and he later died in the hospital. NBD, no weapons were drawn, nothing to see here...

Thank God for the courage of a teenage girl who realized she was witnessing a murder and decided that "the world needed to see what I was seeing."

Wow, that is absolutely incredible.  Thank you for sharing.  

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I can’t help but wonder just how many other cases happen just like this that no one sees and no one never knows about.   You have to assume that what we hear about is just the tip of the iceberg.  

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I can’t help but wonder just how many other cases happen just like this that no one sees and no one never knows about.   You have to assume that what we hear about is just the tip of the iceberg.  

I have a close friend who used to be a public defense attorney and she said there are so many cover-ups.  It's really disturbing and scary.  😞 She has a deep distrust of police officers due to her work.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

7 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I have a close friend who used to be a public defense attorney and she said there are so many cover-ups.  It's really disturbing and scary.  😞 She has a deep distrust of police officers due to her work.  

My good friend started out as an LA county prosecutor and became a public defender after seeing the system work from the inside. Seventeen years later, she’s still a PD.

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 3.54.42 PM.png

This part. There’s no way to come away from these incidents trusting the initial reports of LEOs. That hurts all of us. It objectively undermines their testimony in court too.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 12
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

This part. There’s no way to come away from these incidents trusting the initial reports of LEOs. That hurts all of us. It objectively undermines their testimony in court too.

The cameras also help police. Or, they show the truth.  I can’t remember their names but there was a black officer in a suburb north of Milwaukee who shot a black teenager in the past year (I think it was the past year, it was around the same time that man in the same area was shot in the back and paralyzed by a cop). DH was just saying today he was glad when he saw that video because the same officer had killed two other young men of color on the job. What are the chances, especially in a culture that tries to defend shooting someone in the back?

But the video clearly showed multiple cops chasing the boy, multiple cops yelling, “Gun” when the boy stopped running and pulled a gun, and clear flashes of light when the boy shot at cops. He shot first, then was killed by police. It was clearly by the book, and with that many officers chasing him it was basically suicide by cop. 

At the same time, I’ve heard stories of bad cops.  And worse, I heard stories from a cop in a large Midwestern city of how it was part of police training to learn how to beat someone up without leaving evidence or bruises.  That person left after a few years and became a dentist because he couldn’t deal with seeing “the worst of humanity every day.”  And he wasn’t talking about criminals or addicts.  It felt too huge to change.  Hopefully cameras change that. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

The cameras also help police. Or, they show the truth.  I can’t remember their names but there was a black officer in a suburb north of Milwaukee who shot a black teenager in the past year (I think it was the past year, it was around the same time that man in the same area was shot in the back and paralyzed by a cop). DH was just saying today he was glad when he saw that video because the same officer had killed two other young men of color on the job. What are the chances, especially in a culture that tries to defend shooting someone in the back?

But the video clearly showed multiple cops chasing the boy, multiple cops yelling, “Gun” when the boy stopped running and pulled a gun, and clear flashes of light when the boy shot at cops. He shot first, then was killed by police. It was clearly by the book, and with that many officers chasing him it was basically suicide by cop. 

At the same time, I’ve heard stories of bad cops.  And worse, I heard stories from a cop in a large Midwestern city of how it was part of police training to learn how to beat someone up without leaving evidence or bruises.  That person left after a few years and became a dentist because he couldn’t deal with seeing “the worst of humanity every day.”  And he wasn’t talking about criminals or addicts.  It felt too huge to change.  Hopefully cameras change that. 

I hope it gets to the point where the cops review their own video footage before they write up their reports so there are less contradictions between the two.  The idea that their chest cam footage WILL be released and WILL be seen doesn't seem to have permeated the culture yet.

Maybe there should be a review on a regular review to make sure the videos match up with the reports with some regularity. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Katy said:

It really is a systemic issue. I’m NOT anti-cop. My neighborhood growing up needed police but I also have family members who have been directly victimized by ‘bad’ cops. One cousin was locked up for three days and lost his job behind ‘mistaken identity’. He was a single father at the time and didn’t get so much as an apology. My dad, at almost 50, was harassed on the side of the road (he’s on therapeutic steroids b/c of his autoimmune disease) and treated like He-Man b/c he was speeding in his vintage ‘66 Camero. This stuff is just not ok.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Sad 11

22 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I hope it gets to the point where the cops review their own video footage before they write up their reports so there are less contradictions between the two.  The idea that their chest cam footage WILL be released and WILL be seen doesn't seem to have permeated the culture yet.

Maybe there should be a review on a regular review to make sure the videos match up with the reports with some regularity. 

Not so sure I agree with the bolded. Why? So they can collaborate on an explanation that will pass muster and keep their jobs? Liars should be fired. They cannot be unimpeachable witnesses in court. Reasonable people will remember incidents differently but these discrepancies aren’t minor things. In many cases, they're flat out lies. Many LEOs do not believe, even with body cameras, that they will be convicted b/c that hasn’t historically been the case. I do agree with the second part tho.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

Not so sure I agree with the bolded. Why? So they can collaborate on an explanation that will pass muster and keep their jobs? Liars should be fired. They cannot be unimpeachable witnesses in court. Reasonable people will remember incidents differently but these discrepancies aren’t minor things. In many cases, they're flat out lies. Many do not believe, even with body cameras, that they will be convicted b/c that hasn’t historically been the case. I do agree with the second part tho.

My thinking was more so that they'd quit trying to lie so often.  Make the footage part of the report.  Trying to clean up policing is going to require rebuilding public trust and that public trust gets tanked every time people can compare the report to the video and see flat out LIES. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HeartString said:

My thinking was more so that they'd quit trying to lie so often.  Make the footage part of the report.  Trying to clean up policing is going to require rebuilding public trust and that public trust gets tanked every time people can compare the report to the video and see flat out LIES. 

I think that only changes with consequences. Having video, or lying about what’s on it, means nothing if those able to hold officers accountable choose not to. That means supervisors, chiefs, certification entities, unions, and others. Prosecutorial discretion is an ongoing problem too, not just the accuracy of the after action reports. It took MULTIPLE civilian bystanders, LEO testimony, body worn cameras, common sense, and a deputized private practice attorney to get a conviction in this case. That’s not sustainable.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 10