Menu

We had a couple of super hot days here with highs in the 40s, but it’s settled down again and it’s just 20 degrees right now which is normal for this time of year.  I found a place selling date and cinnamon gelato yesterday.  I love all the new Ramadan treats that appear every year.  The government expects a spike in corona cases soon, and the traditional iftar tents are gone for a second year, but overall things feel a tiny bit more normal right now than they have for the last year.  Loving the streamers and decor, as usual.

(I’m not Muslim, nor am I fasting, so I hope it’s okay that I’m posting here.)

9D3CEFB9-2426-4053-BB89-AA23D6C88BA0.jpeg

• Like 4

Fasting has been both easy and difficult. It’s been easy because the days are still shorter than last year, and the cooler weather helps with thirst. But it’s been hard because DH works second shift, so I’m on my own for the last few hours. Iftar has been lonely too for the same reason. Last year DH was still on medical leave after being hit by a car, so we were together all the time. All. The. Time. 

DH was home Sunday, so we got to have iftar together and decided to go to the mosque for isha and taraweeh prayers. That was my first time in the mosque since March 2020, and it was so different. The biggest difference was how quiet it was since no children under 10 are allowed because of the limited space with social distancing. Only about 10 women were there when normally the number is near 100 women. There were more men but still nowhere near the usual numbers. No socializing is allowed inside, and no one socialized in the parking lot either. Of course it was Sunday, so people probably were thinking of having to work the next morning. But still, it was so unlike previous years. 

I do appreciate the COVID protocols in place. Everyone brings their own prayer rug. Masks are required of everyone. Temperatures are checked at the entrance. Shoes are bagged and carried with you. People are spaced at least 6 feet apart for  prayer. The doors open 10 minutes before the prayer begins, and everyone exits immediately after the prayer ends. It’s the most orderly I’ve ever seen a group of Muslims. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

How are things going, now that we are near the last third of the month? 

Thanks for the lovely photo, Amira. We recently watched Joanna Lumley’s Silk Road travel series, and I am even more convinced than ever that I want to visit!

• 2 weeks later...