Menu

nm

Drama Llama

Could you make something like French Dip or Pulled Pork in the crockpot and have that with some rolls? I love baked pasta, but half of my kids and DH don't so that never works.  It's hard to find something we'll all eat.  Chili with corn bread?  Could you just do something easy and quick for the kids (like convenience food) and order take out for you and DH?  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SKL said:

My favorite is spaghetti casserole, with pork sausages.  Now I want some!!

Yes, my favorite would be baked raviolis with garlic rolls.  Or some kind of cheesy bread or cheese pizza.  Anything with lots of melted cheese.  And now I'm hungry!  🙂 DH doesn't like melted cheese.  And he's the weirdo who says there are too many mix-ins in his Dairy Queen blizzard.  

• Thanks 1

Chicken enchiladas -- I made this for DH the first time that I cooked for him, and it's been a favorite ever since. The filling can be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen, to be assembled later. Or the enchiladas can be assembled, then reheated later. Or frozen and cooked later. It's very forgiving.

Swiss steak -- round steak cooked in the crockpot with tomatoes, onions, and green pepper, then served with rice.

Meatballs of various sorts can be made ahead and reheated in the crock pot. I make some giant ones that are about 1/4 pound each and stuffed with cheese (one meatball is a dinner serving) that I freeze and reheat in the crock pot with sauce. I also make regular sized meatballs that we use in meatball subs or with pasta. I have a BBQ meatball recipe from the Pioneer Woman that we all like. Swedish meatballs. All of these I make ahead in big batches and freeze (because I hate rolling meatballs and would rather not do it very often, but we like eating them).

These are all things that work well for making ahead. You could also think of meats that you can pan fry quickly. Or marinate and then toss in the oven later. Like steaks or marinated chicken breasts or smoked sausage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, if you can afford it, every other week, I suggest sending a gift card to a fun place (or $20 in cash), with the kids, and you and DH eat out. That gives DH lots of choices, and it encourages and nourishes the "date night" aspect of having time for just the 2 of you that goes beyond going to counseling.

Taking off the stress of "what to make", and then buying/preparing it and sending it, is likely to make you feel more rested/relaxed for going into counseling. It's hard to work on tough emotional/relational stuff when you're tired and frazzled from juggling all of the real-life needs on top of it.

Big hugs, and very glad you two are getting some much-needed emotional support and working out the difficulties. Big hugs and best wishes for much success and joy as you both reconnect, and for moving forward together.

Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

For a date night, I’d BBQ some meat, and veg (corn, potatoes, peppers). These things warm really well in a low oven and serve with a nice pasta salad. Kids can get burgers and dogs, DH can have a nice steak or thick cut pork chop. We like huli huli (grilled) chicken and fried rice too. I try to get my coals going once every two weeks or so this time of year and we eat the meats for two/three days. The best part is the minimal kitchen cleanup.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Ooooh French dip sounds good.  Do you happen to have a recipe you like?  We do pulled pork and baked pasta a lot, and I kind of want this to feel special. 

Cooking for people is how I nurture people, and due to situation, I really want to do it for DH right now.  Plus, my BIL and his wife are doing me this huge favor, so sending them something tasty seems like a good way to partially repay them.  

Here's the recipe - I can't find it online now for some reason.  It's embarrassingly simple, but my family really likes it:

3 lbs. Chuck Roast

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. oregano

1 can French Onion Soup (Campbells)

Put everything in slow cooker and cook for 7 hours.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Here's the recipe - I can't find it online now for some reason.  It's embarrassingly simple, but my family really likes it:

3 lbs. Chuck Roast

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. oregano

1 can French Onion Soup (Campbells)

Put everything in slow cooker and cook for 7 hours.  

We do chuck roast with a zesty Italian salad seasoning packet, 1/2 c water and half a jar of pepperoncinis. We serve on rolls with provolone cheese. Sometimes I add in some roasted red peppers and onions once it’s cooked and shredded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Ooooh French dip sounds good.  Do you happen to have a recipe you like?  We do pulled pork and baked pasta a lot, and I kind of want this to feel special. 

Cooking for people is how I nurture people, and due to situation, I really want to do it for DH right now.  Plus, my BIL and his wife are doing me this huge favor, so sending them something tasty seems like a good way to partially repay them.  

I know you weren't asking me, but I've made this crockpot French dip for about 30 years ever since I saw it in the Taste of Home magazine.  The soy sauce seems like an odd choice, but it ads a salty, umami, flavor depth that is nice and not really soy-saucy.  I like to top them with provolone and put them under the broiler to finish them, but that's not part of the recipe.  

We've really enjoyed this Pork Chile Verde lately.  You can slow cook or pressure cook it.  The problem is you need stuff to go with it because it's just seasoned meat.  You can use it for tacos, over rice, or on top of a salad.  The healthiest thing would be to do a bag of crunchy southwest salad,  but the juice is scrumptious so I tend to put it over rice.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I know you weren't asking me, but I've made this crockpot French dip for about 30 years ever since I saw it in the Taste of Home magazine.  The soy sauce seems like an odd choice, but it ads a salty, umami, flavor depth that is nice and not really soy-saucy.  I like to top them with provolone and put them under the broiler to finish them, but that's not part of the recipe.  

This looks good!  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Once a week my husband's brother and wife take our kids, so that DH and I can go to online marriage counseling, and have a "date night".  I usually make a meal and send it with my kids, and then serve the same food to my DH.  I try and choose a meal that DH will really like, but also one that works for making it ahead, and sending it with the kids.  

DH really likes meat, and trying new things.  So far, I've made a bunch of recipes that I either found here or online.  Pork chops with apples and onions in the crockpot, Hungarian goulash, lamb chili with sweet potatoes and kale etc .  .  This week I am making 3 shepherd's pies, one for us, one for the IL's and kids, and one for the freezer.

But I need more recipes!  Any suggestions for food that's not too time consuming, and that can be made ahead?  Things that go in the crockpot or that are like a casserole that we can reheat work best.  

Likes meat. Not time consuming. Can be done ahead?

Dare I say it again? :tongue:

Bill

• Haha 2

Ok, so don't hate me because it isn't a crock pot recipe, but can you give the kids whatever you normally would, but make some steaks for you and DH? Or a steak salad (to minimize how much steak you need?) 

If meat is what he likes, steak is just a nice way to "spoil" a man, you know? And it is SUPER quick to cook, so even though it isn't a crock pot thing, it's so fast it might as well be. The key is to take the steaks out and let them come to room temperature. They cook much faster and more evenly that way. So before counseling starts take them out and set on the counter. After, as DH opens wine or sets the table you heat up a cast iron skillet HOT HOT HOT. Toss your salad as it heats, or whatever. Then dry the steaks with paper towels, sprinkle with seasoning (I'm boring and do garlic salt almost every time) and toss in hot pan. Cook a few minutes each side, depending on how done you like them and how thick they are (get ones that are NOT too thick so they cook fast). If you want, dump some presliced mushrooms in the pan and saute with some garlic salt (or jarred garlic, or garlic you prepped earlier) and butter while the steaks rest a few minutes. 

20 minutes to make, at most, and you an chat together as you do it since it isn't much active work. Bagged salad and steak, with some mushrooms, is fancy but fast and easy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, so don't hate me because it isn't a crock pot recipe, but can you give the kids whatever you normally would, but make some steaks for you and DH? Or a steak salad (to minimize how much steak you need?) 

If meat is what he likes, steak is just a nice way to "spoil" a man, you know? And it is SUPER quick to cook, so even though it isn't a crock pot thing, it's so fast it might as well be. The key is to take the steaks out and let them come to room temperature. They cook much faster and more evenly that way. So before counseling starts take them out and set on the counter. After, as DH opens wine or sets the table you heat up a cast iron skillet HOT HOT HOT. Toss your salad as it heats, or whatever. Then dry the steaks with paper towels, sprinkle with seasoning (I'm boring and do garlic salt almost every time) and toss in hot pan. Cook a few minutes each side, depending on how done you like them and how thick they are (get ones that are NOT too thick so they cook fast). If you want, dump some presliced mushrooms in the pan and saute with some garlic salt (or jarred garlic, or garlic you prepped earlier) and butter while the steaks rest a few minutes. 

20 minutes to make, at most, and you an chat together as you do it since it isn't much active work. Bagged salad and steak, with some mushrooms, is fancy but fast and easy. 

Ooooh, I came back to say steak.  If you have a sous vide, you can make the steak ahead and just sear and serve at dinnertime.  It'll be fast and perfect and you can put baked potatoes or sweet potatoes in your crockpot.  It's worth having a sous vide just to make steaks.  Meatloaf is also great for making ahead and freezing. It takes so long in the oven that it can be baking during your appt. and ready when your time is up.    Or you can cheat like I did today and get the meatloaf and mashed potato combo from Costco that you just bake. I 'may' have also picked up the ravioli Bolognese. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ohhh, hey, it's me again.  If your family likes chili, it's really fun to serve it over cornmeal waffles with all the toppings.  You can make the waffles earlier in the day and just reheat them in the oven or toaster just before dinner.  You can prep the toppings platter early too.  The chili, of course, can just hold in the crockpot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So could I sous vide some meat at 6 a.m., and send I across town for dinner 13 hours later? I am skeptical.

You could. 12 full hours is quite a bit more than necessary for steaks, etc. but I don't think it would do much harm, if that's the time-table you have to work with. Or maybe you could choose a bigger cut of meat. Once it's cooked, the food is just being held at the perfect temperature in a hermetically sealed package. There's a point at which the meat texture would begin going too soft bit-by-bit, but if you like slow-cooker texture meat, you might like that too. I'd say put them in at more like noon or 2pm for supper, myself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So could I sous vide some meat at 6 a.m., and send I across town for dinner 13 hours later? I am skeptical.

I would not sous vide a steak for 13 hours. But I've done a very inexpensive rump roast that long (actually for Christmas dinner) when options were sparse. Rump roast can be very dry and chewy.

I won't claim the results were just as tender as prime rib, but we had an excellent roast beef dinner from one of the cheapest cuts in the meat case.

You could do steaks ahead. They need a quick sear ahead of serving in any case.

Bill

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I cook the food the night before and my kids take it with them when they go spend the day with their cousins.  Then they walk or bike to their uncles, leave the food and go to soccer practice and come home, throw it in the microwave and eat it.  

I need forgiving food.  

So you mean 100% cooked food that you have already prepared (and seared) the night before then stored in the fridge that would only need to be "nuked" (a technology that I'm not too familiar with) would be prefect?

Are you trolling me (again)? :tongue:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Haha 1

Our easy French dip is a chuck roast, a bottle of beer, a can of beef broth, and a can of French onion soup. I put it in the crock pot in the morning and cook it on low until I shred it sometime in the afternoon or early evening. I buy take and bake French bread from the bakery section at the grocery store. This is a dinner I often leave when I’m going to be out in the evening. It is eat it whenever you want and the freshly baked bread is easy and still feels kind of special. (Compared to packaged buns). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Yes, that is what I mean.  

Like tomorrow I am making some shepherds pie.  I will wrap one in foil and my kids will take one with them in the morning and give it to their uncle, then after soccer practice they will eat it.  I can’t sear anything if I am here and they are 45 minutes away.

What would you send on a meal train to someone you loved who really likes meat?  

If one had something like perfectly cooked (and them refrigerated) pork chop or steak would warming them in a microwave give one a positive result?

Not a "rhetorical question," I have very little experience with microwaves.

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

In my experience it would be fine.  But not as good as freshly seared, so if I was going to serve pork chops or steak I would leave them for a night when I can cook at dinner time.

French dip is sounding like a great idea. But this is an every week thing. 

Fair enough.

One thing I will say about pork chops. I have never enjoyed cooking them. If they are even slightly overcooked (to my taste) I find them dry and too tough. And I don't like the idea of undercooking them either. I would always monitor pan-fried pork chops like a hawk. Poking them with my finger to judge doneness and with an instant read thermometer at the ready to verify things.

And even with that attention, I never took it for granted that I would nail them (and often did not).

Pork chops were my poster child for least favorite things to cook for that reason. Delicious if I nailed it, otherwise not.

Sous vide was a game changer. Pork chops have become a very frequent and stress free menu item. 

Bill

• Like 1

What about things like taco casserole or chicken casseroles?  I have a bunch of recipes pinned that I never make because DH doesn't like casseroles - chicken parmesan and chicken w/stuffing casseroles for sure.  I can't remember the others.  

ETA - I looked at my Pinterest and also found chicken pizza bake, baked salsa chicken, slow cooker orange sesame chicken, teriyaki chicken casserole, slow cooker cranberry chicken, cranberry pot roast (slow cooker), and lots more.  I pin a lot of recipes but rarely make any.  😛

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kassia said:

What about things like taco casserole or chicken casseroles?  I have a bunch of recipes pinned that I never make because DH doesn't like casseroles - chicken parmesan and chicken w/stuffing casseroles for sure.  I can't remember the others.  

ETA - I looked at my Pinterest and also found chicken pizza bake, baked salsa chicken, slow cooker orange sesame chicken, teriyaki chicken casserole, slow cooker cranberry chicken, cranberry pot roast (slow cooker), and lots more.  I pin a lot of recipes but rarely make any.  😛

There are only two casserole meals that my peeps will eat.

Tamale casserole (basically, everything for tamales as usual, including the shredded pork and fresh masa). I just place a layer of corn husks on the bottom along with a layer of masa, meat, sauce, olives, cheese, and another layer of masa and corn husks. I cover that with foil, place it in a bigger roasting pan with water (water bath), cover the whole mess with foil, and steam it for an hour in the oven before uncovering to add extra sauce and cheese on top. It's work but less than making individual tamales for sure. Freezes well too.

Green chili enchiladas Similar but easier. Shredded chicken, chopped green chilies, cream cheese, shredded pepper jack mozzarella gets wrapped in flour tortillas. I cover the whole mess with a jar of tomatillo salsa mixed with heavy cream and extra seasonings (oregano, garlic, cayenne, s&p) and bake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

@Spy Car Ok, you have me intrigued about sous vide. I am a bit skeptical.

I refused to use the IP and air fryer for a long time and kicking myself now because my idea of cooking was slaving over a hot stove. Sheet pan dinners is another game changer. Now I am all about things that can cook by themselves, not have them babysat. Sous vide sounds like that, but I have no clue if Indian food is even possible in it.

Have you tried Indian food with Sous Vide ? I have absolutely no clue about Sous Vide or if it is even ok for Indian food ? One of the fancier Instant Pots has a Sous Vide button as a menu selection. The Yogurt button is to die for. So I am intrigued by it. Instant Pot also has a device that looks like an immersion thingy. 

Just tell me please if Indian food is even possible or you have tried it with Sous Vide ? I do not want to hijack the thread.

I have never tried making Indian-style dishes sous vide.

I have used it to make a water bath for making youghurt, buttermilk, and kiefer at a controlled temp. Works well.

As a cooking technique sous vide works best on animal/fish proteins. Especially ones that are lean and easily overcooked.

Bill

ETA: For dals and stews and vegetable dishes there are better alternatives IMO.

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

@Spy Car

I am kind of stuck on this "don't use a microwave" thing.  

Did you really manage to raise a kid from toddler to teen, and not have nights where you were running in the house at the last minute and needed to get food on the table?  Or did you just serve cold stuff?  Or. . . . 

I am impressed, and quizzical. 

I don't have a microwave either. Never have. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

@Spy Car

Did you really manage to raise a kid from toddler to teen, and not have nights where you were running in the house at the last minute and needed to get food on the table?  Or did you just serve cold stuff?  Or. . . . 

I think you just don't get used to something you don't have.  You'd heat stuff on the stove or the oven, or be more careful about how you plan your time, or use a crockpot, or have a collection of really fast recipes, or . . . I don't know . . . save time by having only one kid? 

My parents had 4 kids and we didn't get a microwave until I was in middle school.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

@Spy Car

Sure. Plenty of last minute meals. My specialty (in a way).

I have a nice convection toaster oven to reheat meals and a crock pot. And stuff.

I've just never owned a microwave. Sometimes ate midnight microwaved burritos at 7/11 in my young working life when deadlines meant no dinner otherwise. Always had to ask how long they were supposed to go. Very foreign to me.

Bill

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Thanks.

Falling down the sous vide Indian food hole as in investigate. I am intrigued. I may or may not find something good. I shall report back. 

I looked around as well. Saw things like "Indian Lamb Chops" that didn't look bad to eat, but "Indian?" I dunno.

One would get more utility from an IP or a crockpot, I would think, if Indian style cooking was the main thing. Outside of youghurt making.

Bill

• Like 1

Have you considered making the kids thier dinner....but for you and your dh, making something super simple but nicer? A steak, salad and potato/yam/baked Brussel sprouts etc. It takes maybe 15 minute to cook and is much nicer that reheated casseroles. It puts the focus back on the two of you and what you like together vs. a reheated 'family diner'. 

I used to go to the fish/meat market and buy a nicer that usual cut, or even a prepped item like a raw cordon bleu. A prepped item would just need to be baked but the prep work was done for me. A bit more expensive, but way cheaper than a dinner out. Maybe try to make the meal something just you and dh look forward to, instead a meal that needs to travel well and is thoughtful of everyone's needs.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

@Spy Car

I am not at all impressive, but we rarely microwave the kids’ food. But that’s mostly because the kids are picky and eat lots of cold stuff (sandwiches, fruit, milk) and because mac and cheese doesn’t microwave well 😂.

• Like 1

About 10 years ago, our microwave had died and I just didn't replace it. We got on just fine without it for several months until my parents came for a visit and decided that we "needed" a microwave, so they bought one "for the kids".

I can't wait for the damn thing to die again! I rarely ever use it, but if I do need it, I have to clean the $@?!ing thing before I can use it. It will not be replaced again. It's easier to wash or toss in dishwasher, the pots and pans used for heating on the stove or in the oven. I'm tempted to toss it out some day when everyone is at school/work and claim that it died.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

We've also been making Sheet pan dinners. You throw it in the oven. A bit more baby sitting than the Instant Pot. But that is another easy, one sheet meal. Lots of cuisines to make too. 

My go to is take a bunch of chicken thighs, marinate it in some spice mix like Tandoori, Jamaican Jerk, Ras-al-Hanout and throw it in the sheet pan with some vegetables in the oven. A basic recipe looks like this. Easy. 

https://www.foodiecrush.com/easy-tandoori-chicken-vegetables/

Yup sheet pan dinners are my jam! My favorite is chicken thighs, with broccoli and barbecue sauce. A little of the sauce drips own into the pan with the broccoli, and that chicken fat...dear lord that's the best broccoli ever, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1