Menu

Help with encouraging post cards

saraha

My bff's dd14 is going through a VERY hard time with depression, and there is fallout that is affecting her sisters. I live 10 hours away so can't help practically, but I bought a huge packet of post cards thinking to send them every few days.  I picked post cards because I didn't think I could think of enough to write letters that often. Can you help me think of things to write on the postcards? I want to be encouraging but not putting pressure like saying "Smile! it's a great day" etc.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 3

Here's what I do when I need things to write in a card, I either do a search on google for phrases to match what I want to send or I go to the hallmark.com site and look at what's on/in their cards.  Here are some ideas from Hallmark:

https://www.hallmark.com/thinking-of-you/thinking-of-you-cards/

https://www.hallmark.com/shop-just-because/

and here are some from a google search
https://www.lovepopcards.com/blogs/pop-up-cards/20-uplifting-messages-of-encouragement

I hope your friend's dd feels better soon.  That is very sweet of you to send the postcards.  ❤️

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Thinking of you today".

"Just wanted to say hi and ask how you're doing"

"How are you holding up?"

"I'm always here for you if you need to talk "

I would refrain from any "inspirational" sayings or "affirmations ". I have not found them helpful during rough times; all they did was make me angry. What I would really have liked to hear is just someone saying hi, asking how I'm doing, checking in. Waxing about gratitude and hope and blessings? Made me feel worse.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, regentrude said:

"Thinking of you today".

"Just wanted to say hi and ask how you're doing"

"How are you holding up?"

"I'm always here for you if you need to talk "

I would refrain from any "inspirational" sayings or "affirmations ". I have not found them helpful during rough times; all they did was make me angry. What I would really have liked to hear is just someone saying hi, asking how I'm doing, checking in. Waxing about gratitude and hope and blessings? Made me feel worse.

Totally understand what you are saying here, I'm trying to avoid the pressure/guilt/whatever that can come in an innocent form

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saraha said:

Totally understand what you are saying here, I'm trying to avoid the pressure/guilt/whatever that can come in an innocent form

Cute or interest themed Stickers?  Instead of any words? 

An offer like: “If there is anyway I can be of help long distance I would like to be!”  ?

• Like 1

When my kids were in public school I would put dorky jokes and weird trivia in their lunch boxes every day.  Sometimes riddles.  Yes even in middle and high school lol

Could you send her a book to read and talk about the book? Like one of the cool illustrated Harry Potter books or something that is just a distraction. Not something that feels like an assignment. 

When a friend was going through cancer treatment and I was sending her cards every day I'd try to switch it up - some days general encouragement, some days scripture, some days talking about her favorite tv shows or books we had both read. 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, saraha said:

My bff's dd14 is going through a VERY hard time with depression, and there is fallout that is affecting her sisters. I live 10 hours away so can't help practically, but I bought a huge packet of post cards thinking to send them every few days.  I picked post cards because I didn't think I could think of enough to write letters that often. Can you help me think of things to write on the postcards? I want to be encouraging but not putting pressure like saying "Smile! it's a great day" etc.

Thanks in advance!

You've gotten some fantastic suggestions & I'd be of no help on that end anyway --- but what a thoughtful thing to do!!! Seriously! ♥

• Like 2