Menu

How would you put this on a transcript? (AOPS related)

My son has completed Honors Algebra II with Derek Owen's this school year (8th grade).   He is asking to sign up for an AOPS class this summer.  (Intro to Algebra B).  He says he would like to explore the subject in more depth and work some harder problems before moving on in math.   He previously took Intro to Algebra A with AOPS...and I think he misses the high-speed competitive nature of the classes.    I think he would like to do something similar with geometry next year*:  Take honors geometry with Derek Owens during the school year, and then take it again with more depth with AOPS.   

*He skipped Geometry and took Algebra II straight after Algebra I (DO Algebra II covers trig which he needed for physics.).  

My questions are:

Is his plan the best use of his time?   Would it be better to just progress through math with Derek Owens and then move on to duel enrollment with a local college after calculus?   And if I go ahead with his plan, how would I record this on his transcript?  Combine both online classes into one Algebra 2 class?  Leave it off of his transcript?   

You could also put the Derek Owen’s math classes in the for credit area and the AoPS classes in the not taken for credit area. DS16’s “hobby” is taking math classes and programming classes. He is still a junior so obviously we don’t know what college admissions would think but the community college admin department just accepted his transcript as is for dual enrollment purposes. He has 8 math classes in the not for credit category.