Menu

Living Life/News/Bubble/ Getting back to normal

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I am sorry if I whine, but who do I have to vent to.  There is a bridal shower(inside) at the church tomorrow that I would normally be helping with. I really want to go.  I have served often with this sweet couple in various ministries.  Their wedding is in May. Huge outdoor church function outside in a few weeks.  So many other things on the calendar. 

Sorry. I mean Dreamergal’s situation sucks. I know many have it worse.  But I don’t know how to change what I feel, nor do I have anyone to talk to except you.

Feel free to PM me, Tex. 

I continue to say what I've always said - I'm not worried about me and my kids catching Covid, I'm concerned about us spreading it.

That said, I don't really see a lot changing where I live, because a lot of people in the risk groups are not getting vaxed.  And, my kids are 14 and there is no current plan for them to get vaxed (thus they are still capable of spreading Covid to at-risk people).  Cases are rising.  So I don't feel we're anywhere close to "back to normal."

They are going to school and doing sports and band, so that is great.  I've never shied away from letting my kids do kid things, which are voluntary (our district has optional all-virtual school still).  They still have to mask and follow certain odd rules, but it's all they've known in their current school.  Full time in-person school is a big improvement over whatever was happening from March 2020 to March 2021.  But "back to normal school" is impossible to define in our case.

My state still has the exact same mask and social distancing mandates we had at the worst point of the pandemic, and there is no change in sight as far as that goes.  I won't wear a mask for long time periods unless I absolutely have to, so we're not doing "fun" things that aren't fun in a mask.  Not that I ever did a lot of that anyway.

I am not ready to go back to church or other things that involve sharing a lot of air with elderly people.  I am not ready to visit my mom without being careful.  Theater?  Not yet.  I don't know when I'll feel ready for those things.

I had my kids tested for antibodies today.  I was hoping they'd have antibodies so I wouldn't worry about them catching and spreading the virus if we visit my mom.  But the tests were negative.  On one hand, I guess that means we might be doing something right, but on the other hand, it means nothing has really changed as far as precautions go.

ETA:  I used to say the priority should be to vax everyone at risk, but knowing how serious the vax side effects can be, I don't say that any more.  I would not want to encourage or pressure a person in fragile health to get a shot with serious side effects.  If they choose it themselves, fine, but it's not risk-free, so I'm not putting it all on them.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

DH and I have had our first vaccine shot, the children have not.

We have started venturing out. Today we had Sushi after Feb 2020. It was a pick up order and DH and DD went to our usual place. They wore masks. We ordered a whole bunch. If you had asked me why we stopped having Sushi and why now, I have no logical explanation except we have become a bit bolder and a lot more careful to pick and choose based on what we really want.

I did go out to have my eyebrows threaded after a year. I have done it from the time I was a young teen. I avoided it so far since there is no way threading can be done wearing a mask by the person doing it. She was fully vaccinated, I was partially. It was time to feel close to normal and for me, my eyebrows being groomed was a big part of it. I did not do my upper lip though it badly needed it. But I was not prepared to take off my mask. I almost cried looking at the pictures. I felt myself a bit after so long. 

Once I am fully vaccinated, I plan to go swimming. Another absolute must for me.

We have gone to a few grocery stores to shop inside, have not done that in over a year.

I would love to travel to my country of origin as soon as possible except flights are banned due to a COVID surge.

If DS is vaccinated, he will go to school next year, else we HS or if Virtual school is offered continue that.

We plan to have dinner outside with our core group of friends, one family at a time. Since it is the month of Ramadan now, we look forward to sharing a few iftar meals with our muslim friends one family at a time while it would be a huge pot luck party of multiple people of many religions. 

We plan to always carry a mask and pop it on when we feel necessary mask mandate or no.

Only you know what is important to you, what makes you feel normal and what risk you will take as an individual and a family. So carry a mask, wear it if necessary, carry hand sanitizer, evaluate risks and live life. You did the responsible thing and are vaccinated, so time to live a little in my view.

FYI threading CAN be done by a person wearing a mask. Our gal is very good - uses a clip on a lanyard to hold the thread. It took us a long time to go in - almost a year - and KN95+cloth masks - but dd could wait no longer! ETA and I only agreed because it literally takes about 5 minutes - we are in and out the door in less than 10 minutes, no kidding. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Hugs, Cat. I know it's really hard for families like yours who must continue to be as careful as possible. May better days come for you guys too.

CW! Good to see you! How is your husband doing? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

CW! Good to see you! How is your husband doing? 

He’s doing very well — thanks for asking! 

The Covid situation has been stressful, but in all honesty, I worry about it a lot more than he does. I feel like I have to keep everyone safe, and I have a tendency to go WAY overboard. 

I hope all is well with you!

• Like 9
8 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

The Covid situation has been stressful, but in all honesty, I worry about it a lot more than he does. I feel like I have to keep everyone safe, and I have a tendency to go WAY overboard. 

Glad to hear he’s doing well! I imagine you have been extra vigilant under the circumstances. That’s so tiring!

We are good. Pandemic fatigue, same as everyone. We have been quite careful, though we worried less once we learned asthma was not as high a risk factor as originally thought. We are all half-vaxxed, cases are super super low in our area.

I still wear a mask everywhere as they are still required. Not sure how I will feel when the mandates are all lifted - probable weird for a while. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

Glad to hear he’s doing well! I imagine you have been extra vigilant under the circumstances. That’s so tiring!

We are good. Pandemic fatigue, same as everyone. We have been quite careful, though we worried less once we learned asthma was not as high a risk factor as originally thought. We are all half-vaxxed, cases are super super low in our area.

I still wear a mask everywhere as they are still required. Not sure how I will feel when the mandates are all lifted - probable weird for a while. 

I’m glad to hear you are doing well. I had originally assumed that asthma would be a huge issue with Covid, and it’s great that it’s less of a risk factor than everyone thought it would be. I hope the cases stay low in your area — they are going up again where we are, and it is very frustrating!

It will feel weird to go out of the house without a mask on! They were such a nuisance at first, but I got used to them pretty quickly. The best thing about them is that they seem to help a lot with my allergy symptoms — even surgical masks help. I had noticed that my seasonal allergies were a lot milder than usual, so I decided to wear a mask when I cleaned out the garage one afternoon because I always end up with a nasty headache afterward from the dust and... no headache! I was so happy! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

People on here say it is irresponsible.  I am one week past my 2nd shot.  I dont want to cause a 4th wave.  I want to have fun snd enjoy myself without a damn mask like everyone else.  I want to laugh and have a great time and not worry about consequences. But life isnt about doing what you want, but caring for others. 

Literally everyone on here even the Covid cautious are saying it’s not irresponsible to go at this point.  You’ve been vaccinated there’s nothing more that you can do to keep others safe.  Others have the choice to vaccinate now - if they choose not to that is their responsibility not yours anymore.  Mask if it makes you more comfortable.

• Like 8

Texas Proud-I am in the same situation as you in that my friends will for the most part not be vaccinating. Dh has had one shot, I have had both. After Dh has had both, I will start doing some of the things I haven't done in over a year. 

And I would love to come to the Shakespeare Festival. Dh and I have been several times and love it.

13 hours ago, TexasProud said:

The guidelines here are everything open 100 percent. Wear a mask if you feel like it. I just know I will struggle to continue to be the only one masked after I am vaccinated. 

12 hours ago, TexasProud said:

But most of my friends are not vaccinating. 

((Hugs))

I think this opening up phase is going to be much more difficult for some of us than (semi/pretend) locking down ever was. It’s totally ok to admit that going back to “normal” is going to be a process and sometimes it’s going to be messy and non linear. It’s ok to not trust the people around you when they aren’t doing the right thing; it sucks to shoulder the burden but unfortunately that’s true in all facets of life when others behave poorly. 

Honestly, I think people are right that going to an event outdoors, vaccinated and masked, is fine. Personally I won’t be choosing to do anything indoors this summer even if everyone is fully vaxxed, though there will be a time or two when I am forced to (DS's graduation, for one, if he decides to go). I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’m angry to be put in that situation, though, and I definitely wouldn’t go if I didn’t have to.

Please be gentle on yourself during this time of transition. Know you have done all the things you can to keep yourself and others as safe as possible, but also you aren’t obligated to attend all the things or live on their terms. It’s ok to go to one event and not another, your decisions don’t have to make sense to anyone but you.

Maybe you have one vaccinated friend you can start practicing being social with once you feel comfortable doing so? That’s my plan, and I’ll slowly ease up from there. 

Hugs to you. This is the hard part now. 

• Like 3

So many of you have said outside, but most of the events are not.  But I understand the sentiments. 

I am going to the indoor shower today, but will double mask like I do in church and Sunday School. What will be hard will be next week when my husband will no longer mask in Sunday school, so I will be the only one masking if I choose to do so. He believes we will be fully protected and have no reason to.  We are having our best friends out to the lake next week and will be outside.  They will not be vaccinating for a variety of reasonable reasons. They wear masks around me because they know it makes me more comfortable, but are infrequent other than that.  My close prayer group of 5 people is going to be meeting in person inside again. Only one of them has been vaccinated. I dearly love these ladies. One is best friend above. I want to get out and volunteer somewhere regularly. I will be looking for that.  I am also starting an internship for school this summer and will be working at the church 2 mornings a week. 

But I think I get everyone's advice. It was helpful.  Will just try to figure it out.

• Like 2

I'm a month out from fully vaccinated with Pfizer. Considering the information that has come out IRT spreading and transmission after full vaccination I don't feel the need to keep the same level of concern. I'm still not going to be going to any big busy indoor events right up next to people but feel ok with occasional indoor things staying away from people.

Read the information and decide for yourself what you feel comfortable with, don't let people on here dictate your life. Risks are going to be different for everyone depending on their personal risk factors and the rates where they live.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Seasider too said:

FYI threading CAN be done by a person wearing a mask. Our gal is very good - uses a clip on a lanyard to hold the thread. It took us a long time to go in - almost a year - and KN95+cloth masks - but dd could wait no longer! ETA and I only agreed because it literally takes about 5 minutes - we are in and out the door in less than 10 minutes, no kidding. 

Your threader is skilled !! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Soror said:

I'm a month out from fully vaccinated with Pfizer. Considering the information that has come out IRT spreading and transmission after full vaccination I don't feel the need to keep the same level of concern. I'm still not going to be going to any big busy indoor events right up next to people but feel ok with occasional indoor things staying away from people.

Read the information and decide for yourself what you feel comfortable with, don't let people on here dictate your life. Risks are going to be different for everyone depending on their personal risk factors and the rates where they live.

I've been very cautious this whole time, and will likely not return to full 'normal' for quite a while.  No plans anytime soon for indoor dining, movie theaters, other large public indoor events.  I think I'll be okay with outdoor dining, though (haven't sat down at a restaurant, in or out, since February last year!)  And in a couple of months when most people are vaxed (most people here want it), I do think I'll even be comfy going to church when it's back in person (we're still Zooming!).

But also with all the really good news about especially the mRNA vaccines, I think I'll feel fairly comfortable getting together even indoors unmasked (gasp!) with friends and family that are also fully vaccinated.  Because at that point it's not only unlikely we'd get or spread it, but also if in the tiny likelihood someone did get it, it wouldn't likely make them that sick, and wouldn't kill them.  That actually does seem more like the flu.  I'm happy at least in my circles everyone is more than happy to shout their vax status from the rooftops - I'd admittedly be squirrely about meeting in close indoor contact with don't-ask-don't-tell types - and that's different than someone who's up front about it - I'd likely be okay meeting masked and outdoors with someone who had good reasons for not being vaxed and was open about it.

In one of my book groups sounds like we'll all be fully vaccinated by mid-May and we've been talking resuming IRL meetings after that...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, regentrude said:

Once we are fully vaccinated, we will see our adult kids indoors unmasked, will get together with vaccinated friends indoors, will attend outdoor concerts. Will teach in normal occupancy classroom. May attend the theater, masked. I will continue to mask in public indoor spaces like stores.

We won't be dining indoors or attending large indoor events for the foreseeable future. No overseas travel until most humans have been vaccinated or the infection numbers are way down. 

This. My teen will get a second shot Monday, DH got his Friday. I'm fully vaccinated, since I qualified in an earlier category. So, in two weeks, we'll all be fully vaccinated. We'll be able to see friends who are vaccinated, my parents and brother/SIL will be able to come to celebrate L's graduation, since they will all be fully vaccinated as well. We are holding an outdoor open house for L's grad, where friends will be able to drop by, masked, chat, pick up a cupcake boxed to go, with some activities and games for kids. Our homeschool field trip group is doing a small, outdoor grad in June with an outdoor dance following, where all participants over 16 have to show proof of vaccination and families will sit in pods for graduation. I feel comfortable with my vaccinated teen attending even the dance part. 

I've started doing my own grocery shopping in person. again. 

In August, my teen will move into a dorm on a campus that is requesting vaccination proof (possibly required, depending on approval status) and will be providing vaccination on campus for students who have been unable to get it.  Classes will be at regular enrollment. Hopefully the cafeteria, etc will be back to normal as well, and the students will be able to have a normal life. 

I plan to continue teaching in my studio, spaced out and with extra filtration and with masks required until my students can be vaccinated. But honestly, that's been pretty close to normal this year, and the kids don't seem to mind the masks. I am going to wait on anything for wind instruments and group classes except for back to back sibling lessons where one kid works on theory while the other does their lesson and we occasionally play a game together. 

I do not imagine we will be going to large indoor events, movies, or indoor dining for some time yet, since vaccine uptake here is pretty low. And, to be honest, I have really loved being able to attend school plays for students, church services, and other events that are very remote from me. In many ways I have been able to be MORE involved in lives of friends and family this year than before. I'm reluctant to give that up. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 1

Something that makes this hard is that numbers are different.  I saw Facebook photos of an event that in my county would be ridiculously risky.  I looked up their county and they have zero new cases.

The problem, imo, is that people see things on Facebook etc. and think they can do the same things without considering their own area.  Or people travel to other counties with more cases and aren't careful enough.

So many are acting like the global pandemic is currently ending and it just isn't true.

• Like 9
18 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Something that makes this hard is that numbers are different.  I saw Facebook photos of an event that in my county would be ridiculously risky.  I looked up their county and they have zero new cases.

The problem, imo, is that people see things on Facebook etc. and think they can do the same things without considering their own area.  Or people travel to other counties with more cases and aren't careful enough.

So many are acting like the global pandemic is currently ending and it just isn't true.

I agree, and so many people never even consider the possibility of variants — or if they do, they assume their vaccines will protect them 100%.

I also worry about the elderly, because vaccines don’t always work as well in that population, and I hate to think that many people have the feeling that they are bulletproof because they’re vaccinated, when that may not be the case at all. 

I think most people can loosen up a little bit once they are fully vaccinated, but I don’t think it’s necessarily safe to immediately go all the way back to normal and stop taking precautions like wearing a mask and social distancing. Hopefully, in time things will get back to normal, but I don’t believe that time is now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Just an update from my friend that is front line covid ICU doctor .  Despite her hospital system being at 110% capacity, she has ZERO covid patients that were fully vaccinated.  She says the vaccines are working.

This is so reassuring! 

• Like 2

We aren't making any changes even though we are now all fully vaxxed (still waiting for our 2 week post second dose time periods to be up though).   It just doesn't feel safe to let our guards down yet.   

• Like 3

That is good news about the vaccines being effective.

Thank you very much for your input.

I went to the shower, but didn't really enjoy myself. They prepared for 30, so did not have it in the fellowship hall, but a smaller area. I would guess there were 75 people or so in this small area. I was the only one wearing a mask until one of the hostesses saw me, and said, "Oh good. I will put mine on. I haven't been out and then this." I stayed for maybe 30 minutes.  I know that all of the older people that were there were fully vaccinated, as well as some middle aged teachers that I knew. However, the bride and groom's family, nor all of the international students that were there, I have no idea. I tried to stay in the hall sort of, watched them open up my gift and then left.  I feel so incredibly anti-social and like life has just completely gone on without me.  Just the way it is I suppose.  But I am ready to live life and enjoy myself. Sounds petty and selfish, I know.  But I miss laughing ( I am one of those ladies that you can hear laughing across the room. I get teased about it...or used to.)  Anyway, I am ok today. I am better able to cope with it some days more than others. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I was the only one wearing a mask until one of the hostesses saw me, and said, "Oh good. I will put mine on. I haven't been out and then this."

I'm glad you went, and sorry it wasn't entirely enjoyable. 

The quote above makes me wonder if there might be other people feeling the same tensions you do about taking precautions in an area which generally is more oblivious. It sounds like she appreciated having someone wear a mask. You gave her courage to do what she felt she should: that's great!

Any chance she'd be someone you could hang out with in safe ways, as you both feel out the new situation?

• Like 4
On 4/17/2021 at 11:33 PM, Catwoman said:

I'm glad to hear he is doing well! I understand that tendency to go overboard. 

• Like 1