Menu

The Source for Executive Function Disorders by Suzanne Keeley => anyone familiar with it?

Or any knowledge about what "cancellation activities" are?

My dad had a stroke last Oct, and his speech therapist gave him homework from this book, only she didn't give any instructions and what to do is non-obvious from the pages themselves.  They're "Cancellation Activities", on pages 101-115, under the "Attention" section.  Each page looks like a word search - a 30x30 letter grid - and the page headings just say "Cancellation Activity - Letter 1" and "Cancellation Activity - Letter 2" and such.  Earlier this therapist gave him word searches where she'd had him circle all the H's, say, and cross out all the O's, for example.  If all else fails, Mom's going to pick a few random letters and have him do the same thing on these sheets, but first I'd thought I'd see if anyone here had a better idea of what he's meant to do.

TIA

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I skimmed it over a couple hours when I was in an SLP's office. It was pretty interesting. I don't have a copy. So you're saying you have it? Yes, I think you're probably on track with what you're supposed to be doing. 

No, we don't have a copy, but the speech therapist has a copy.  She gave Dad some of the reproducible worksheets from it, only she forgot to give the directions.  Since they won't see the speech therapist till Wed and Mom doesn't want to delay the at-home practice so long, I'm trying to see if anyone here happens to know what the directions might be, either because they know the book or because they know what "cancellation activities" are.

In my googling, it seems that the basic directions they followed for previous activities - circle all the H's, say, and cross out all the O's, for example - are basically how these sorts of activities work, and you can start looking for pairs to increase the difficulty.  The therapist gave them no particular letters to look for with these worksheets, but I suppose just picking random ones and going for it - Mom's fallback plan - sounds decent enough.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You could also text/email the SLP.

I'm assuming without proof that's not an option - that they don't have the number or whatever, because otherwise it's the obvious option - but I'll check when I talk with them, just in case we're all overlooking the obvious, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I think you're probably on track with what you're supposed to be doing.

That's good.  Boy, this is *not* what Dad planned to spend his retirement doing <sigh>.  You know how some people retire and realize they have no idea how to spend their days?  Not Dad.  He's been working on and off on a research project my whole life, and he was looking forward to doing it full time.  And he was, too - he'd been really pleased with how much work he was getting done.  And he only got 5 months of it before this stroke came out of nowhere <sigh>.  But on the good news side, they're setting him up a workbench in his home office where he can work at it in his wheelchair, as they don't think he's up to standing for long periods in the hot garage where his current set-up is, at least not right now (though they're hoping that'll change in the next few months - he's definitely making good progress at relearning to walk, which was his major stated goal).  I was really worried he'd never be able to get back to his experiment - I know Mom was too, and undoubtedly Dad as well.  So it's encouraging that they're taking steps to get him going at it again.  I suppose none of us know how well he'll be able to do with just one functioning arm, but at least it's his dominant one.  Here's hoping, anyway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, forty-two said:

I'm assuming without proof that's not an option - that they don't have the number or whatever, because otherwise it's the obvious option - but I'll check when I talk with them, just in case we're all overlooking the obvious, lol.

I've used scads of SLPs and been able to email all of them. They should have some kind of contact.

I hope your dad's therapy gets him where he wants to be! 

• Like 1