Menu

Anyone watching Prince Philip's funeral?

I watched it on a British site - no commentary.   

There was an article about a carriage driver he was supposed to race against back in the 80s. He broke his neck in a swimming accident the night before the race.  His sister shared how Prince Philip reached out to the family and helped him afterwards.  (the sister eventually married Prince Philip's chauffer.) 

• Like 1

I watched. It was beautiful and majestic at the same time. I loved the pageantry of it, the music and the service. What I loved most was unlike most royal funerals, it was intimate. 

I could not help crying when the Queen shed a tear. She is famous for not showing emotions in public, yet she cried when her sister died and now her husband of 73 years. A lot of things have been said over the years about their marriage and even  the 30 people chosen for the funeral, well it is interesting. It was however a master class in what a marriage is to me, how one supports a spouse through the ups and downs. How an alpha man with accomplishments chose to stand behind his wife and support her for a lifetime. A woman who inherited an empire when she was naive and grew to become strong over the years. She could not have done what she did without him. They had to make their marriage their own for it to work, which may not look like what a normal person thinks a marriage should be, but it was supportive and loving. He was a royal prince who was a little more than a refugee, even his family name of Mountbatten was not what he was born with. She gave him a country, a home, a purpose and together they built something. Will it stand without them ? I am not so sure.

Prince Philip is a man who is an example of how one must judge the whole person. A man of formidable accomplishments and legacy, yet also documented instances of racism. He also had immense privilege and he used much of it for good. He set up things like Duke of Edinburg awards and worked for conservation long before any of it was known all which will outlast him. He was an original. 

I have mixed feelings about the Royals, but I have always respected the Queen and the Duke because they were like twin pillars to me. It was sad for me to see the Queen sitting alone without him, walking stooped. This funeral is but a dress rehearsal for hers. I hope she lives a little longer for I know things will certainly change after her. Elizabeth Regina would not be the same without her Consort, her liege man of life and limb. RIP Sir. 

The Queen released this picture of them yesterday, relaxing together in Balmoral. They look so happy. It is my hope to grow old with DH like this if we are given the privilege of living long lives.

[Picture removed by moderator because board rules...]

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

My dh wants a funeral like his.  With the Land Rover.  😉

Loved the music, done by such a small group of musicians.
And the processional, done by such a large group of military personnel.

38 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

yet also documented instances of racism.  

The person who was the "victim" of the most oft repeated basis for this claim - has this week, again, come out and said "it wasn't racism, and he wasn't offended."

• Like 5
2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

The person who was the "victim" of the most oft repeated basis for this claim - has this week, again, come out and said "it wasn't racism, and he wasn't offended."

Prince Philip has a long history of service and a long, documented history of saying things which cannot be swept under gaffes as the British media uses as euphemisms. It is a part of his legacy as his service and his accomplishments. It has been there long before the "woke" brigade came or Meghan Markle or the Oprah interview. It cannot be swept away as a "man of his time".

His legacy has been dissected by people more qualified than me and that is the general consensus. 

I say this as someone who recognized that my own grandparents had a complicated legacy as well when it came to caste. That does not mean they were evil or bad people, but they had problematic views.

I say all this with as much humility as I can with the full knowledge that someday some future generation of mine will judge me because something that I do or say today may be found problematic as society evolves. 

In my view, we must judge the legacy of a person completely, with the good and bad. Learn from the good and refute the bad. That does not make them evil or us superior. It is a part of evolution of a more equal society to me.

• Like 7

image.png.c685fc424dbed244185588f3b42f4f48.png

The Queen's last note for Prince Philip on his coffin with the flowers from her personal stationary. According to social media it is "your loving Lilibet" which is the childhood name for her.

• Like 5

This is a lovely short video about Philip's final portrait, which is really extraordinary. The artist said that Philip gasped when he saw it and I can understand why. And the setting the artist chose, and the way he had Philip pose, as if he's glancing back one last time before turning and walking down the long hall into eternity, is really quite touching. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I think we would all do well to study their example. Two imperfect people standing together to the end.  

I’m confused. What does that mean? Should people stay with spouses for a lifetime if they don’t get along? Not saying these two didn’t - I know virtually nothing about them. I’m just trying to figure out what you mean.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, bibiche said:

I’m confused. What does that mean? Should people stay with spouses for a lifetime if they don’t get along? Not saying these two didn’t - I know virtually nothing about them. I’m just trying to figure out what you mean.

Well, I know little about them too.  But my comment stands.  Just in general, with imperfect people who love each other.  And yes I believe in staying together absent abuse. 

28 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Well, I know little about them too.  But my comment stands.  Just in general, with imperfect people who love each other.  And yes I believe in staying together absent abuse. 

Aren’t you on your second husband? 😉 

1 minute ago, bibiche said:

Just ribbing you, Scarlett. Your statement amused me. 

Lol.  Ok.  I am generally impressed by people who manage to stay together.  I don’t think I was wrong to divorce, but nor do I think women are necessarily wrong to forgive and stay together.  Staying together has great benefits.  Everyone has to decide  if it is worth it. And sometimes we don’t know the answer until many years later. 

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 9:16 PM, Corraleno said:

This is a lovely short video about Philip's final portrait, which is really extraordinary. The artist said that Philip gasped when he saw it and I can understand why. And the setting the artist chose, and the way he had Philip pose, as if he's glancing back one last time before turning and walking down the long hall into eternity, is really quite touching. 

Thanks, that was really interesting. I was also a bit surprised to see Harry's grin in the Duke's face at 2:01, lol.

I haven't watched clips of the funeral yet, though I plan to. The photos of the Queen sitting alone, though, brought me to tears.

Edited by Jaybee
13 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Lol.  Ok.  I am generally impressed by people who manage to stay together.  I don’t think I was wrong to divorce, but nor do I think women are necessarily wrong to forgive and stay together.  Staying together has great benefits.  Everyone has to decide  if it is worth it. And sometimes we don’t know the answer until many years later. 

They had to stay together, could not divorce. The very existence of the monarchy depended on the stability of this marriage at that time from what I have read since the Queen's father became King after his brother abdicated to marry a twice divorced woman.

They have gone through rocky patches, famously when Prince Philip could not give his surname of Mountbatten to his children and the surname had to be Windsor because it was the dynasty name. The name Windsor itself had to be changed from Sax Coburg Gotha to make it more English because it was German sounding which was not a good thing during WWI. Churchill, Queen Mary and the Queen Mother ganged up against Prince Philip and the Queen was caught in the middle. Prince Philip was quoted to say he was" just a bloody amoeba". Yet the Queen changed the surname to Mountbatten-Windsor some years later and it endures even today in all those who do not have a title or a HRH, an example being Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

So many instances of making compromises both ways. They worked towards a common goal, supported each other and yet gave each other space. It took them many years certainly to find out what works for them. Some of the decisions that have been allegedly made may seem rather odd, but it was their marriage and they made it work. There was love and absolute support.

The moderator deleted a photo I linked last time due to board rules and as I am unsure of the rules, so I am linking an article that shows one of my favorite pictures of them.

https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/prince-philip-duke-edinburgh-funeral-gbr-intl/h_53d3e9e61bd920141ba4e6267c24ba22

It is an aerial view of them returning from somewhere, he is two steps behind her, one arm behind him, looming over her as usual but their shadows merge together and they are the same height. Though it is just a photo, it is metaphorically a picture of their marriage to me.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

They had to stay together, could not divorce. The very existence of the monarchy depended on the stability of this marriage at that time from what I have read since the Queen's father became King after his brother abdicated to marry a twice divorced woman.

They have gone through rocky patches, famously when Prince Philip could not give his surname of Mountbatten to his children and the surname had to be Windsor because it was the dynasty name. The name Windsor itself had to be changed from Sax Coburg Gotha to make it more English because it was German sounding which was not a good thing during WWI. Churchill, Queen Mary and the Queen Mother ganged up against Prince Philip and the Queen was caught in the middle. Prince Philip was quoted to say he was" just a bloody amoeba". Yet the Queen changed the surname to Mountbatten-Windsor some years later and it endures even today in all those who do not have a title or a HRH, an example being Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

So many instances of making compromises both ways. They worked towards a common goal, supported each other and yet gave each other space. It took them many years certainly to find out what works for them. Some of the decisions that have been allegedly made may seem rather odd, but it was their marriage and they made it work. There was love and absolute support.

The moderator deleted a photo I linked last time due to board rules and as I am unsure of the rules, so I am linking an article that shows one of my favorite pictures of them.

https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/prince-philip-duke-edinburgh-funeral-gbr-intl/h_53d3e9e61bd920141ba4e6267c24ba22

It is an aerial view of them returning from somewhere, he is two steps behind her, one arm behind him, looming over her as usual but their shadows merge together and they are the same height. Though it is just a photo, it is metaphorically a picture of their marriage to me.  

That is a really cool photo.  Thanks for linking it.  I missed it when you posted the pic before.  And I do realize they 'had' to stay together more than the average couple of their time.....but they did seem to love each other.

5 hours ago, stripe said:

It has always amused me that it was supposed to be a scandal to divorce when Henry VIII was hardly a husband for life!

Technically I'm not sure that he actually divorced any wives, despite what the rhyme says. I think the marriages were annulled.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Technically I'm not sure that he actually divorced any wives, despite what the rhyme says. I think the marriages were annulled.

I thought she was thinking more about the whole beheading thing...  That would seem a lot more scandalous than a divorce! 

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

Well, yes, beheading is hardly preferable to divorce, but also Henry VIII certainly wanted to divorce, so I don’t understand why divorce among the monarchs is a scandal when I thought it’s what led to the creation of the Church of  England.

8 hours ago, stripe said:

Well, yes, beheading is hardly preferable to divorce, but also Henry VIII certainly wanted to divorce, so I don’t understand why divorce among the monarchs is a scandal when I thought it’s what led to the creation of the Church of  England.

He wanted an annulment due to his convenient belief that his marriage to Katherine of Aragon was illicit. The narrative for the first annulment that led to the CofE was that Henry became convinced that his lack of a son was due to God's wrath. He had married his dead brother's wife.  The Pope had allowed the marriage and wouldn't allow the annulment.

Once the monarch, rather than the king, became head of the Church, it became a nonsense for the monarch to get a divorce,  rather than an annulment,  as the Church did not allow remarriage.  ETA: the marriage to Anne of Cleves was annulled due to non-consumation.

Edited by Laura Corin

I think it’s preposterous that the Church of England was created to allow the king to divorce, but then the idea of a divorce in the monarchy is judged unsuitable, no matter what complex arguments or excuses can be conjured to justify the idea that Henry VIIII is a worthy role model in the marriage department. This one wasn’t consummated, this one wasn’t technically a divorce, etc etc. The point is, he ran through a series of women and invented a religion to permit him to do so. I couldn’t care less what the royal family does. They are not a paragon of moral excellence or sexual propriety to me. With that being said, I do think a 73 year long marriage is impressive.

17 minutes ago, stripe said:

I think it’s preposterous that the Church of England was created to allow the king to divorce, but then the idea of a divorce in the monarchy is judged unsuitable, no matter what complex arguments or excuses can be conjured to justify the idea that Henry VIIII is a worthy role model in the marriage department. This one wasn’t consummated, this one wasn’t technically a divorce, etc etc. The point is, he ran through a series of women and invented a religion to permit him to do so. I couldn’t care less what the royal family does. They are not a paragon of moral excellence or sexual propriety to me. With that being said, I do think a 73 year long marriage is impressive.

I don't think anyone would defend Henry VIII.  The historical details are interesting to me, however.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2