Menu

My hair stylist is ghosting me

teachermom2834

Maybe? I’m not sure. 

I haven’t had my hair done since before Covid. I get it cut and a basic color job (nothing fancy, no highlights). My stylist is a young twenty something and family friend/acquaintance. Not close friend but we will see them frequently and are friendly.  I text her directly to make appointments. There isn’t a receptionist at the salon I can call. 

So I am fully vaccinated and ready to go back. I texted her three days ago to no response. Now, she might be ghosting me but I tip well and never complain so that seems weird but I can accept if she doesn’t want to do my hair. However, if she didn’t get my text or forgot to respond, I would feel really bad taking my business elsewhere and if she didn’t want to lose my business, she and her family would be offended. I hate to move on from just one unanswered text but I don’t want to put her on the spot either and be pushy. 

I’m trying to plan my next move. I can text her again and hope that reminds her if she just forgot but if she doesn’t answer I’m no further along. I could message her on FB in case her number has changed but I hate to pester her on another platform if she doesn’t want to respond. I could ask the mom “hey does stylist have a new number?” But I really think it is inappropriate to involve her mom in her adult business and I really don’t want to do that. 

I really don’t want hurt feelings or drama with these folks so I am trying to figure out the best way to proceed. I am fine moving on but feel like I should give it one more shot before taking my business elsewhere. Can you tell I’m not a confrontational person? And that I both want to not be pushy and not hurt any feelings?  And I really really want my hair done! 

Thoughts? How many times do you reach out to a service provider like that before moving on? 

Mine is always super busy now that things have slowly opened up. I've known her for over 13years and the new norm is about three texts, then she'll respond.

Eta: I would stalk her though (not really) because I can sit in her chair and I know she'll make my hair look nice.

Edited by MooCow
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Maybe? I’m not sure. 

I haven’t had my hair done since before Covid. I get it cut and a basic color job (nothing fancy, no highlights). My stylist is a young twenty something and family friend/acquaintance. Not close friend but we will see them frequently and are friendly.  I text her directly to make appointments. There isn’t a receptionist at the salon I can call. 

So I am fully vaccinated and ready to go back. I texted her three days ago to no response. Now, she might be ghosting me but I tip well and never complain so that seems weird but I can accept if she doesn’t want to do my hair. However, if she didn’t get my text or forgot to respond, I would feel really bad taking my business elsewhere and if she didn’t want to lose my business, she and her family would be offended. I hate to move on from just one unanswered text but I don’t want to put her on the spot either and be pushy. 

I’m trying to plan my next move. I can text her again and hope that reminds her if she just forgot but if she doesn’t answer I’m no further along. I could message her on FB in case her number has changed but I hate to pester her on another platform if she doesn’t want to respond. I could ask the mom “hey does stylist have a new number?” But I really think it is inappropriate to involve her mom in her adult business and I really don’t want to do that. 

I really don’t want hurt feelings or drama with these folks so I am trying to figure out the best way to proceed. I am fine moving on but feel like I should give it one more shot before taking my business elsewhere. Can you tell I’m not a confrontational person? And that I both want to not be pushy and not hurt any feelings?  And I really really want my hair done! 

Thoughts? How many times do you reach out to a service provider like that before moving on? 

More than once for sure.  My hairdresser doesn’t answer me for days sometimes.  

If she wants to quit doing your hair she will just tell you.  Maybe she got too many customers since you were last there.  Or maybe she saw your text and forgot to respond later when she had time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After 3 days, I'd go ahead and text again. She may have read the text and forgot to respond when she had a chance to check her calendar. Let her know that you are willing to go elsewhere.

Hey Stylist, I texted on x date to make an appointment and haven't heard back yet. I would really like a haircut, so wanted to make sure you didn't miss the first text before I make an appointment elsewhere on Monday.

It gives her the courtesy of a follow-up because mistakes happen and things get forgotten, and also gives her a deadline to respond without being confrontational. If you don't hear from her by Monday, go ahead and book somewhere else. If her number did change, it is on her to advise clients of that change if she wishes to continue the business relationship. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

I love my stylist but it definitely takes a few tries to get her to text me back for an appt. I tend to end up saying something like "my hair is trying to kill me!" or for DS "he needs his shearing!" And that often does the trick.

• Like 1

I would text (if that is how you usually communicate) one more time and say that I was just double-checking to see if she got the message and hope that everything is OK since I hadn't heard anything and I would like to make an appointment.  If I didn't get some response after that, I would move one to a new hairdresser. 

I have increasingly run into this situation where there is not a receptionist to let you know that someone has even received a call or text.  Honest mistakes happen and people take vacations or get sick.  But, it is frustrating not to know if they didn't receive your message, forgot, are busy, are sick..  There are few service providers that I would check back with beyond one follow-up call.   

• Like 1

Normally I'd give it one more call. But in trying to navigate this new world of reconnecting when people have moved, lost housing, had to pick up different skills if their jobs were not allowed, etc I would probably try a few times.

• Like 1

I would text again, and then follow up with a voicemail.

I was really anxious when I made an appointment with my stylist, and then her furnace went so she had to delay. Then her pipes burst because of the furnace. And all of a sudden she was rebooking me for a week later. Then I took a deep breath and said, “Self, you haven’t been since September 2019, and NOW you’re worried about a couple of days?” And sure enough, she was able to fit me in earlier than expected, and all was well, lol.

• Like 1

Wow.  OP, we’re in the same boat!  I texted my stylist on Tuesday, no reply, and just followed up with a text today.  We have checked in a few times during Covid, but not since Thanksgiving.  

I’m going to give it a few days and then call.  

But I’m nervous.  Ours is older, she’s done our hair for 17 years.  Sold her salon but kept our family as clients and comes to our house.  Our kids adore her. I’m worried about her, honestly.

Fingers crossed that we both hear back soon!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Wow.  OP, we’re in the same boat!  I texted my stylist on Tuesday, no reply, and just followed up with a text today.  We have checked in a few times during Covid, but not since Thanksgiving.  

I’m going to give it a few days and then call.  

But I’m nervous.  Ours is older, she’s done our hair for 17 years.  Sold her salon but kept our family as clients and comes to our house.  Our kids adore her. I’m worried about her, honestly.

Fingers crossed that we both hear back soon!

Oh that is worrisome. 

I do know mine is just fine (according to FB at least). I would know if she was on vacation or had something major going on. I see that she is working. Haha. FB adds a layer of info and weirdness. 

I do hope you hear from yours soon!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Oh that is worrisome. 

I do know mine is just fine (according to FB at least). I would know if she was on vacation or had something major going on. I see that she is working. Haha. FB adds a layer of info and weirdness. 

I do hope you hear from yours soon!

Oh, I bet yours is just swamped and busy!

I don’t do FB, ugh, but I’ve been stalking ours online to no avail (other than finding a Good Reads account that she hasn’t used since 2017 🤣).

Hopefully we will both hear something soon.

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

OP, my beloved hairstylist had to stop working and retrain for something else because of lack of business. My hair is long and so I would not entrust it to just anyone. She would wash my hair with warm water, give me a head massage all before cut and coloring. She was a friend over the years. I miss her so much I do not have the heart to find another.

Either your stylist has decided to retrain or swamped. I hope for your sake she is swamped and is not getting back to you. I would encourage you if possible to find out more before giving up. 

Oh I know for certain she hasn’t retrained. And she could be swamped but I am in an area that people did not lockdown for Covid. I hardly know anyone else that has been vaccinated and people have just been living their lives. So she might be busy but it isn’t as though there is a big surge of people coming out of lockdowns with vaccination. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

After three days, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a phone call saying, “Hey, I texted you about making an appointment a few days ago, did you get that?” 

Yes!  I have at&t and miss a shocking amount of texts.  They just never show up on my phone.  I've heard other people with at&t say the same thing.  She may have legitimately not have gotten it.

If not the above then...

17 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I'd assume that hairdresser are absolutely swamped with work as more and more people emerge from "lockdown" thanks to vaccinations.

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If I urgently needed my hair cut, I would move on. A couple thoughts that come to mind:

She is no longer cutting hair

She has a full set of clients and doesn't think she can squeeze you back in the lineup

New phone/phone number (or lost phone)

No manners (lol)

Changed her rates, not sure if she should grandfather you in the old rate? 

Sick? 

There's no rule you can't go get it done, then return to her later. I have such bad experiences I hardly return to the same person! They screw up the hair. The most recently visit they told me after I got there that if I wanted to leave with dry hair it was an additional $35!! So I left with wet hair, it wasn't straight when I styled it later, I went back and they fixed it.... but I'm not going through that headache again! 

I’ll update my zombie thread 😂

My stylist just needs a receptionist or some kind of online scheduling app. She isn’t too busy. She still wanted to do my hair. But she is young and not good administratively. That’s all well and good but I don’t have the patience to chase her around. My hair isn’t that important to me. So I think there are some hard feelings but I just am not going to text her over and over to make an appointment. I wish we could still just call the receptionist at the salon. That would solve our problem. Cell phones made salon appointments worse not better. 

But I now color my own hair and walk into Great Clips at my own convenience. Problem solved!

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4