Menu

Crash course in grammar for German and Spanish

I learned German as a child (primary language until age 12) and Spanish in my teen years (C1), but stopped both for a while. I’m now speaking German again with my kiddos, but realizing that my grammar is a bit rusty. We also have Spanish speaking family moving nearer to us this year, and our most recent trip to visit them left me realizing how rusty my Spanish grammar is.

Duolingo doesn’t seem to be a good fit because there’s so much repetition, and I don’t really need that. I have the vocabulary, once I get speaking it daily, I just need something to “jog” my memory and help me remember the grammar and structure that I already know somewhere deep down.  😂 I can read books and watch shows in each language, but I’m wondering if anyone is familiar with some kind of crash course in grammar in either of these languages that will lay things out explicitly and without fluff?

37 minutes ago, 4KookieKids said:

I learned German as a child (primary language until age 12) and Spanish in my teen years (C1), but stopped both for a while. I’m now speaking German again with my kiddos, but realizing that my grammar is a bit rusty. We also have Spanish speaking family moving nearer to us this year, and our most recent trip to visit them left me realizing how rusty my Spanish grammar is.

Duolingo doesn’t seem to be a good fit because there’s so much repetition, and I don’t really need that. I have the vocabulary, once I get speaking it daily, I just need something to “jog” my memory and help me remember the grammar and structure that I already know somewhere deep down.  😂 I can read books and watch shows in each language, but I’m wondering if anyone is familiar with some kind of crash course in grammar in either of these languages that will lay things out explicitly and without fluff?

Practice Makes Perfect workbooks.  They have complete grammars, and also have targeted books (like in German there's a Sentence Builder book, in Spanish they have one just on verbs, another just on prepositions and pronouns).  Not good as a complete course to teach a kid, but they're pretty much designed exactly for your purpose - an adult who's brushing up and wants things put succinctly with detailed explanations but without fluff.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

I really love Lawless Spanish for that. It's online, bite-sized grammar lessons with frequent adaptive quizzing. There's a free trial but the cost seems really reasonable to me. Not sure if it'd be great for younger kids but for an adult with familiarity with the language and a good understanding of grammar in general, it's perfect.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...