Menu

DDPY....my one year update

Ottakee

10 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

oday marks one year since I have started my DDPY and weight loss journey.   Despite a torn meniscus in July, I have made good progress.

I am down 53 pounds and 47 inches (over 10 body measurements).  I am down from a 18w/2x to a 14/16 and large shirts.

Even more important, I can walk and hike longer.  I am stronger and more flexible.  I went from the chair and stand strong level to beginner level and now can even do many intermediate level workouts with only minor modifications.

Congratulations!  After your initial DDPY post, I looked into it and others and while DDPY didn't match what I needed, I *did* find a series (HASfit) from that thread that did!  So, I just wanted to say thanks and congrats again!  You are an inspiration for all of us!

• Like 7

Just now, VickiMNE said:

Congratulations!  After your initial DDPY post, I looked into it and others and while DDPY didn't match what I needed, I *did* find a series (HASfit) from that thread that did!  So, I just wanted to say thanks and congrats again!  You are an inspiration for all of us!

Yes, DDPY is not for everyone.  I love that it is so easy to modify and has some many workout options.   My friend tried it and it didn't click for her .

The key is to find something that works for you and you can do consistently.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don’t know what DDPY is, but that’s amazing and I’m happy for you!

It is a yoga type program   www.ddpy.com that features a former professional wrestler.  It is not your typical yoga at all but combines yoga moves with strength and flexibility and cardio.   It is super easy to modify to your fitness level....there are programs for people to who can't even get out of bed to those that are elite athletes....and everything in between.

I started in October, and recently have slacked a bit..sigh. But it helps my depression/anxiety, my flexibility increase was amazing, and it helps keep my back pain/SI joint pain at bay. Plus lost 12 pounds (all fat I'm sure...I'v gained a TON of muscle/strength). Dropped a clothing size. My doctors are thrilled. 

• Like 11

I started DDPY on March 17, based on your and ktgrok's recommendation. So far, I am down 10 lbs. I don't see a big difference yet in how I look, but I've noticed some subtle changes. My back muscles are starting to look different, and my back pain is much improved. My hip pain is better, thanks to the stretches I learned in Hip Opener (that one is tough, but has done great things for me)

I am surprised at how much I really like this program. I do one of the workouts every day now, plus a 1 mile walk. It's something I look forward to, and I am not the least bit "sporty" or athletic. 

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, kand said:

I Remember looking at this back when the other thread was going, but this comment is enough to make me think I need to go look at it again. My SI joint isn’t bad right now, but it flares up and I have other back pain issues more often than not right now. I’m not actually looking to lose weight, though. Do you think the improvement is due more to the weight loss or to the flexibility and strengthening you gained?

A lot of the movements in the workouts are actually physical therapy exercises used for back pain patients. I know, because I've been doing PT off and on and yeah, most of what we do in PT we also do in DDPY. I go to the PT now mainly to have someone able to pick specific stuff for where I am at that day, plus some extra stretches, etc. 

He developed the program by incorporating power yoga with the physical therapy moves he learned when he broke his back in the wrestling ring,  and then added in some calisthenics and dynamic resistance (isometric exercises). It really does hit strength, flexibility, and cardio all in one. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I started DDPY on March 17, based on your and ktgrok's recommendation. So far, I am down 10 lbs. I don't see a big difference yet in how I look, but I've noticed some subtle changes. My back muscles are starting to look different, and my back pain is much improved. My hip pain is better, thanks to the stretches I learned in Hip Opener (that one is tough, but has done great things for me)

I am surprised at how much I really like this program. I do one of the workouts every day now, plus a 1 mile walk. It's something I look forward to, and I am not the least bit "sporty" or athletic. 

It took me 25 pounds to even notice any difference and almost 40 for others to start noticing 

I am surprised too and how much I actually like the program.  I have done it 5-6 days a week for a year now....ok, a few weeks only 3 times a week.  I find it doable and beneficial.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

A lot of the movements in the workouts are actually physical therapy exercises used for back pain patients. I know, because I've been doing PT off and on and yeah, most of what we do in PT we also do in DDPY. I go to the PT now mainly to have someone able to pick specific stuff for where I am at that day, plus some extra stretches, etc. 

He developed the program by incorporating power yoga with the physical therapy moves he learned when he broke his back in the wrestling ring,  and then added in some calisthenics and dynamic resistance (isometric exercises). It really does hit strength, flexibility, and cardio all in one. 

Yep.....I was in physical therapy for months for my torn meniscus in my knee.   So often my PT exercises were ones I also did in DDPY.

Today I got a cardio workout just doing the balance workout.....Stand Up with Big G.   Amazing how my heart rate was way up there just trying to balance .

I am not athletic at all so the wide range of exercises have been good for me.   I still can't do a push up and due to my knees the catcher squats are hard but I see improvement in so many areas.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 1

These threads convinced me to encourage DH to sign up at the beginning of the year. He hasn't used it yet, but it's there waiting for him (I had him do the 1-yr plan for the app).

I know he'll benefit; he wants to do it. He just has to get past that sticking point of getting started. (He is overweight and has some back issues. He also has chronic neuropathy in his feet and balance issues from chemo 5 years ago.) He's wrapping up his busiest work time so maybe he'll be able to add it in soon!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

These threads convinced me to encourage DH to sign up at the beginning of the year. He hasn't used it yet, but it's there waiting for him (I had him do the 1-yr plan for the app).

I know he'll benefit; he wants to do it. He just has to get past that sticking point of getting started. (He is overweight and has some back issues. He also has chronic neuropathy in his feet and balance issues from chemo 5 years ago.) He's wrapping up his busiest work time so maybe he'll be able to add it in soon!

Get him a sturdy folding chair and have him start with the chair force level.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I entered, because why not? But I'm not good about blogging or posting videos of myself, so I doubt I'll catch anyone's eye. 

Same - I entered mainly to have the extra support of the facebook group for the contest. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kand said:

I Remember looking at this back when the other thread was going, but this comment is enough to make me think I need to go look at it again. My SI joint isn’t bad right now, but it flares up and I have other back pain issues more often than not right now. I’m not actually looking to lose weight, though. Do you think the improvement is due more to the weight loss or to the flexibility and strengthening you gained?

I assume flexibility because the I had pain when I was thin.  

My mom and I have talked about doing it together but I just kept putting it off.  I’ve recently started walking a few miles a day and I feel so much better mentally and physically.  Then the last two days hit; rain and 40 degree weather, and I’m not up for walking in it.  I am so depressed again.  I think I need to find something I love as much as walking.  I’m very likely to need modifications at least at first, and my 68yo mom definitely will, so this seems like a good program for us.  But....I went to buy and the shipping was $18.50!  Yikes.  I think since I’m a yoga newbie I will start with Yoga with Adriene and see if I like it before I spend a lot of money on it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

My mom and I have talked about doing it together but I just kept putting it off.  I’ve recently started walking a few miles a day and I feel so much better mentally and physically.  Then the last two days hit; rain and 40 degree weather, and I’m not up for walking in it.  I am so depressed again.  I think I need to find something I love as much as walking.  I’m very likely to need modifications at least at first, and my 68yo mom definitely will, so this seems like a good program for us.  But....I went to buy and the shipping was $18.50!  Yikes.  I think since I’m a yoga newbie I will start with Yoga with Adriene and see if I like it before I spend a lot of money on it.  

The app is way better than the DVDS, way more workouts, tracking, etc. Or there is an on demand verson using a Roku channel that is basically the same as the DVDs but a monthly fee. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

The app is way better than the DVDS, way more workouts, tracking, etc. Or there is an on demand verson using a Roku channel that is basically the same as the DVDs but a monthly fee. 

Thanks!  I’ll try Yoga with Adriene first before I spend any money, but I’ll look into the app if I decide to buy!

9 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

Thanks!  I’ll try Yoga with Adriene first before I spend any money, but I’ll look into the app if I decide to buy!

That makes sense. Oh, and if you want to try (or even just watch) a free DDPY class, Dr. Marcel Dore, an MD who specializes in back pain, teaches  a free DDPY Fundamentals class every thursday night at 6pm EST on zoom.https://transitioncoachonlineclasses.as.me/schedule.php

• Like 2

I looked at the website, and for the life of me I can’t figure out what to do.  It’s SO BIG and there is so much stuff in it.

Where did you start and how did you know to start that way?  What comes after that?

Also, is it indoor exercise?  Because that is what I need.  I can walk outside, but don’t do it as often as I should because it is crowded here and not completely safe.  I need something I can do inside.  

Also,  if it’s inside, what equipment (if any) is most helpful early on?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I looked at the website, and for the life of me I can’t figure out what to do.  It’s SO BIG and there is so much stuff in it.

Where did you start and how did you know to start that way?  What comes after that?

Also, is it indoor exercise?  Because that is what I need.  I can walk outside, but don’t do it as often as I should because it is crowded here and not completely safe.  I need something I can do inside.  

Also,  if it’s inside, what equipment (if any) is most helpful early on?

Ok, so, yes it is indoors (although once I did it on my patio. Dirt and mosquitoes mean I won't do that again, lol). 

Equipment - only absolutely needed thing is a yoga mat. Beneficial for some are yoga blocks. Or, if you are starting with the chair program you need a folding chair - you can get one at walmart for $10. Oh, an maybe a dish towel sized towel for wiping sweat or to use to do a stretch if you can't reach otherwise. But to start, a mat (and a chair if doing chair level). 

Then, you have 3 options. DVDs, he DDP On Demand roku channel, or the DDPY Now App. The On Demand has all the content from all the DVDs for a monthly price - or you can do longer intervals for less per month or whatever. The App has all the content on the DVDs PLUS TONS of other workouts in the "live" section and they continue to add new ones regularly. So on the app, I can look for just 20 minute workouts or 30 minute workouts, or workouts by a particular instructor, etc. And all the workouts are color coded by difficulty (although there are a few I'd quibble with, lol). 

For the DVDs you need a DVD player. 

For the DDPY On Demand you need a Roku box. (maybe it is an Amazon Fire channel too?)

For the app you need a smart phone or tablet, and then you can cast it from your phone to a smart TV, or to a Roku or whatever, or some people connect to their TV with a cable. It's not hard, don't let that part steer you away from the app! The app makes it really easy to do. 

The app will also track your weight, workouts, measurements, pain levels, etc. (well, I mean, you do that, but it has places to record it). Even blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. 

On the app you get points per minute of workout, and you can hit "custom" workout if you are walking or whatever, and it will give you points and track that as well (enter the name of the workout, like walking, whatever, before saving the workout). You can also get bonus points for logging your weight, taking progress photos, etc. 

As for where to start, if you struggle to get up and down from the ground, you can start with Bed Flex or Chair Force. Then move on from there. Otherwise, start with Beginner. For each of those there is a tutorial called "The Diamond Dozen" that will teach you the various moves. Then you move on to workouts. It will set a program for you, with about 3 workouts a week, or you can do a custom program (again, this is all with the app) and do your own thing...I did that because I'm that way, lol. 

So, pick HOW you want to do it first, and then you can go from there as far as what level, but no matter what level you will start with a Diamond Dozen tutorial. 

There is also a hugely helpful Facebook group. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to say that a heart rate monitor is encouraged, but not required. Really, I only wear it now because I get more "points" for it, lol. IT can be a PIA to get positioned, etc, especially chest ones. I switched to a Wahoo brand forearm one and am MUCH happier with it. The "girls" tend to knock the chest one out of position, plus when you are on your belly it would lose connection etc. None of that happens with the forearm one, but it can become a distraction/obsession for some. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

I kind of wish I had bought the arm band hrm. The chest one is kind of fiddly. 😕

Yup, I ended up buying myself the arm one as a gift for something..I forget what. I think for doing it for 100 days or something. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I’m really interested in this too but haven’t tried it- how is it different from something like Yoga with Adrienne (that I have done).

thanks

@ktgrok?

Well, it's more a mix of yoga poses, physical therapy exercises, and calisthenics. So, in the regular levels (not chair/bed levels) there are push ups (which you can modify and do on your knees, or just stay in plank pose and not do at all if that is where you are at), "exploding knees" which are knee lifts, etc. Also, you will be doing bicep curls, tricep kick backs, rows, overhead push/pull movements, etc all using your own resistance (from tightening your muscles..pretending you are moving through sand/water/etc). So you can make those as easy or hard as you need to, and not every workout has all those things, but most have at least one or two of those things. So it definitely isn't "just" yoga. 

And the emphasis on isometric muscle contractions, dynamic resistance, etc is not something I usually see as much in typical yoga. Don't get me wrong, all yoga will build muscle, but this is a bit different emphasis. 

Oh, and he gives different names to the moves, which was originally to make it more man friendly. I think that part is kind of silly, but it doesn't bother me. So, instead of child's pose, he calls it safety zone. 

There is also a heavy emphasis on "making it your own" aka modification based on your own skill/fitness/flexibility/pain/etc. More than in any other workout I've ever tried. 

And there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE emphasis on positive mindset, motivation, etc. He's very much about the mental aspect of health, not just the physical. 

I did find this, which is sort of a preview/overview of a beginner workout. This guy is not one of the main instructors though, not anymore. The actual workouts are a bit more high energy - not speed/workout wise but motivation wise. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have been hit or miss with DDPY. I only did it twice this week. I haven’t lost any weight, but that’s my fault for not eating better. It’s so hard being post menopause. If I want to lose, I can’t eat more than 1200 calories a day. I use Chronometer to track when I’m feeling disciplined. 

33 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

Thanks for posting this update, OP. Congratulations!!!!!!!! I'd never heard of this program and I've been searching for something like this to try. So thank you!!

It isn't for everyone, but I really like it.  Just finished a 30 minute one that combined some cardio with balance and flexibility.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Ok, I tried that little sample. Seemed super cheesy at first but I do think it has promise.

I’ll have to figure out how to make the app work with my not so smart TV, lol.

It is different and there are many different instructors.  The benefit with the app is you have over 300 workouts to pick from so if you dont like one instructor or workout, you just chose others.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Ok, I tried that little sample. Seemed super cheesy at first but I do think it has promise.

I’ll have to figure out how to make the app work with my not so smart TV, lol.

It can be a bit cheesy...but then you realize how much these instructors MEAN the things they are saying as far as encouragement. That made the difference for me. 

If you want some encouragement, and insight into the guy that is behind this, the movie Relentless on Amazon Prime is really great. My husband actually finished watching with me and started telling people about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ktgrok said:

It can be a bit cheesy...but then you realize how much these instructors MEAN the things they are saying as far as encouragement. That made the difference for me. 

If you want some encouragement, and insight into the guy that is behind this, the movie Relentless on Amazon Prime is really great. My husband actually finished watching with me and started telling people about it. 

This is what hooked me, too. When I was checking the program out, I dug around a little to "get to know" DDP. I knew that if he was a jerk or totally phony that I wouldn't stick with it. I saw a video where he was helping an older lady try modify moves so she could get mobile again, (I think she'd had knee replacement surgery). The video showed DDP and the lady working through the issues she was having, with him just really *thinking* it all through, and saying "Ok, try this...now put your hand here, and your leg here, and then move like this...No? Ok, let's try this instead". That's when I realized "Oh wow, he actually really cares! This isn't just talk to sell a product.  He really wants to help this lady!"

I still don't really understand the draw of professional wrestling, though, lol.  Luckily, that is not necessary to be successful with the workouts!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

That's when I realized "Oh wow, he actually really cares! This isn't just talk to sell a product.  He really wants to help this lady!"

I still don't really understand the draw of professional wrestling, though, lol.  Luckily, that is not necessary to be successful with the workouts!

I don't like WWE either....but love DDPY.  I will say their FB pages are ALL encouragement and no drama.   So refreshing.

• Like 4