Menu

SWB's History of The World for middle grades?

Slache

Specifically 6th grade through 9th. I want to use this curriculum but my high school plans are very language and literature intensive and I don't want to limit him. I'm perfectly comfortable either calling it quits for a few years or more likely reading ahead and modifying output requirements. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

I haven't used it as a curriculum and only listened to the first volume, so take this with a grain of salt. I think it would take the right kind of motivated student to enjoy those books at that age. I really like ancient history in general but found the first History of World book to be rather dry.  I think the level of detail could feel like a slog at that age. 

My 8th grader tends to be a lot more motivated to dive into an adult level history text if it is a book focusing on a topic of interest.  I'm not sure if he is at all typical of somewhat-accelerated middle schoolers (and he tends to be more accelerated in STEM areas), but he much preferred the idea of a "lighter" textbook for history in middle school with plenty of time left for history reads he chose on topics like the Hundred Years War, the black plague, and early Roman history. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm. I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean you don't expect to have time for history in high school? Or are you wondering if this would match his abilities at that point? Output requirements are determined by you, so that part probably isn't an issue, the material is fairly dense and also blunt about more adult topics. There is also just a lot of information.

Oh, sorry, accelerated learner board, I have not been following his abilities, so maybe none of this applies.

I see Kristen's response and would add that we enjoyed the bits of humor in the first book (mostly in the footnotes, not sure how those are handled in audiobooks). The next two books have less of that.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Hmm. I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean you don't expect to have time for history in high school?

I had planed to continue logic stage history as a family and assign independent work for my high schoolers. This child in particular, my only advanced learner, is studying Greek, Latin, Spanish and Japanese. I plan to have him read in all 4 languages in high school, and we're using 2 writing programs. His abilities are abundant, but I'm concerned about time management, energy levels and burnout. I'm looking for balance.

Ah, yes, I can really relate to that need for balance! I can also relate to the difficulty of balancing the time demands of multiple languages. Have you considered using a middle grades history book in a target language for his high school studies (Spanish, I guess)? I think Nan in Mass did that with her ds. It wouldn't help you squeeze in the excellent History of the *** World books, but it might help you find the ever-elusive balance.

As much as we like the Hot*W books, unless your ds is a history buff, I would recommend setting them aside.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would not used SWB's books for the middle grades.  Instead, you might want to look at the Human Odyssey series.

Alternatively, you might want to look at something other than SWB for high school.  Ways of the World is truly excellent and not nearly as long.

ETA: I just realized this was on the accelerated board.  Please disregard my comments about the middle grades.  However, Ways of the World might still be something to consider.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...