Menu

Solve this mystery:

Calizzy

Tuesday morning we noticed a rabbit about 50 yards from the house in the backyard. He was very still and nibbling. Being the good homeschoolers that we are, we broke out the binoculars and watched him. We watched for 30 minutes, then an hour, than hour and a half and he never moved. Ok, something is up. Why was he totally not moving? A little later I noticed that he was no longer in the normal hunched rabbit position, but laying on his side. I thought maybe he had eaten a poisonous plant and was sick. We went to co-op and came home around 6pm. He was still there, but now sitting back upright. Right at nightfall, he was gone. I thought maybe he had recovered and was on his way. Yesterday- no rabbit. Today, the rabbit is back! In the exact same spot, totally not moving. I’m attaching a picture, you can’t see him, but he is down along the shrubs.

image.jpg

Edited by Calizzy

8 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

Would that mean that the babies are already born, or that she’s getting ready to give birth?

If she’s lying in the same spot multiple times a day I’d guess there’s already babies there. She dug a little hole, lined it with grass, had the babies, and covered them with grass. If you walk past it will just look like a tiny dead spot in the grass. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

If she’s lying in the same spot multiple times a day I’d guess there’s already babies there. She dug a little hole, lined it with grass, had the babies, and covered them with grass. If you walk past it will just look like a tiny dead spot in the grass. 

Yes, this is exactly what is going on.  Babies have been born and she is covering the nest with her body.  They nurse from that position.  

Our cat has brought in 3 baby rabbits in a weeks time.  Grrrrrr.  2 we saved for sure.  One was kinda iffy.  

• Like 2