Menu

Today is my last day of homeschooling

Dmmetler

L has the last final for the last CC/DE class, and after that it's just paperwork. M and C are doing online school next fall. It's the end of an era, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. (I know that I don't want to go back to teaching in a K-12 school, nor to teaching college ed/mued/child development classes).  I'm just not sure teaching and tutoring will fill the days. 

• Like 32

I'm close!  Just a few more weeks.  I have been juggling homeschooling and working full time for a few years now so it is more a relief than bittersweet.  And we have been FAR from the cozy days of playing with wood blocks to work on spelling and doing "sun days" when the weather is nice for years now.  At this point, I am more and administrator than educator.  But it will still be the end of an era.

• Like 5

Agreeing with what everyone else said.

I went through this a year ago.   It's a weird place to be.    Particularly if you have homeschooled for a long time.   For me, the pandemic has sort of kept me on hold for the past year too.

If you can, I highly suggest you just let the situation be what it is.   Don't fight it and panic that you don't have the next thing planned.   I think many people rush right into the next thing, without taking the time to be still and enjoy the mountain-top.

I liked homeschooling, and I miss it in some ways.    But it is really nice to have accomplished something like this.   And it's also very nice to not have the burden hanging over me any more.

So congrats!    Give yourself a big pat on the back, and take a deep breath and enjoy it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

It's the end of an era, 

Yes, it is. You have been my constant companion on these boards for close to a decade.  I have absolutely loved your stories of snakes and lizards and other scaly critters. It has been a joy to read about the passion your daughter has had for her education and all the opportunities you have fought to give her. Thanks for sharing a part of your life with me and others on this board. 

Ruth in NZ

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

L has the last final for the last CC/DE class, and after that it's just paperwork. M and C are doing online school next fall. It's the end of an era, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. (I know that I don't want to go back to teaching in a K-12 school, nor to teaching college ed/mued/child development classes).  I'm just not sure teaching and tutoring will fill the days. 

((((Dmmetler)))) I'm so glad I was able to meet you. 🙂 I'm sure you'll figure something out, and you'll be extraordinary.

I had a dream last night where a bunch of my homeschool and cheer parent friends were trying to create an elaborate mini-gold course to teach...something. I figure it was an "your life is changing and your primary reason for being in contact with these folks is going to be in Atlanta, so even after COVID it won't be normal again" dream....sigh...

L was crying on leaving campus yesterday and commented "I should be happy, but it just points out that it will never be normal again. And that's exactly right. There will never be another day of the cafeteria ladies starting a grilled cheese for her when they see her coming, nor another class in person, nor of time spent sitting by the campus lake with the watersnakes. COVID took those this year, and next year will be a different campus, different cafeteria, different lake, and we don't know if it has water snakes or not (it's a lot smaller...). COVID took the in person science club meetings and regular homeschool activities and sleepovers and birthday parties. COVID took the chance to have a senior prom. The chance to have a last cheer season. The last conferences as a pre-baccalaureate in person. The last high school summer trip to Reno.

And when it comes back, L won't be part of it. And neither will I. That last year at home, with the homeschool and local friends, is just plain gone. 

• Sad 3