Menu

Why are my kitchen scissors never in the kitchen?

Terabith

My mom handled this by using string tied to the handle and taped to the inside of the kitchen drawer.

I handled it by buying multiple pairs of extra scissors until I figured out which were my favorites, then I bought 6 pairs and gave a pair to each of the people who most commonly walked off with mine, plus a few extras to hide in MY spots (one for the kitchen, one for the nightstand for clothing tags, one in the craft spot).  The crappy scissors no one liked are also in the craft spot.

Edited by Katy
why would autocorrect change by to buy?
  • Like 7

Because they are: 

by the front door

On the bedroom dresser

Under a bed

On the patio (and now rusty)

Under a pile of mail

Dropped on the floor of the basement (and now rusty)

There is no sense in asking anyone in your household, however, because they never ever used them. Promise. Pinky swear. There is no way for them to know why they are missing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I only have a pair of kitchen scissors and they are primarily for cutting meat so no one else in my family wants to touch them. Besides the normal scissors for cutting packages is in the living room near to my teens’ study table. 

My teens are picky about scissors and have their own pair of scissors in their pencil boxes. 

44 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Because you think of them as kitchen scissors and the universe has a twisted sense of humor.  

If you were looking for your bathroom scissors (nail scissors) I’d suggest looking in the freezer.

Ironically, we have both nail scissors and bathroom scissors.  They are, somewhat miraculously, still in the bathroom.  

I have gotten to the point where I throw a tantrum EVERY TIME they're not there. The first time I did it, I literally stomped my feet and let out a very long, unending whine until someone found them and returned them.

This is the dramatic thing I had to do. No one found it amusing. Mushroom had a lot of choice words for me.

But after doing it like four times, I haven't seen them lost in like six months. So, I'm just saying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have literally 4 pair of scissors in the kitchen drawer, lying there side-by-side.

And one day, I went and cleared out ALL of the scissors at the Dollar Store and deposited them throughout the house. 

It’s rare that I don’t have scissors when I need them now. 🙂

I say, buy yourself 3 more pair.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I have gotten to the point where I throw a tantrum EVERY TIME they're not there.

DS16 would go “Asian moms and their kitchen scissors” 😂 My husband knows not to argue about the cost of kitchen scissors and about me buying spares. 

9 minutes ago, wathe said:

Because you didn't have the good fortune to bear only left-handed children who struggle with righty scissors and therefore only ever use their own scissors. 

Or be the only left hander in the family 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I used to have a second pair and they fell behind the stove. I have been meaning to get them, but... sigh. There used to be mice. I don't want to find a dead one.

That is a chore I would willingly pay my kids to do even though we don’t have a mice problem but a silverfish problem. 

ETA: I would be more worried about the plastic handles of the scissors melting when I bake.

Edited by Arcadia

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

That is a chore I would willingly pay my kids to do even though we don’t have a mice problem but a silverfish problem. 

ETA: I would be more worried about the plastic handles of the scissors melting when I bake.

I've dropped things back there before. It gets warm (which I think is why the mice like it as a spot to hang out when they find a way into the house) but nothing's ever damaged.

I couldn't pay my kids enough to do that. Like, not in a million years. This is a dh task for sure.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I just placed an order for three pairs of scissors from amazon.  We will see if that helps.  

One day I had *absolutely had it* with the Case of the Missing Scissors, and I got in my fine fancy minivan, drove straight to Dollar Tree, and bought TWELVE pairs of the surprisingly-decent yellow-handled scissors. 

Aaahhhhh, scissor bliss.

May your future be similarly glorious. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

Seriously.  These aren't shears for cutting meat, but just my opening packages scissors, but I can never freaking find them, and it's driving me crazy.  Kitchen scissors are supposed to stay IN THE KITCHEN!  

What small things annoy you?  

Are we related?

Bill

• Haha 1

Because I am a seamstress and using my sewing shears would have been ..well, not good thing to happen, I bought dollar store scissors and gave one to each of my kids when they were old enough to keep track of it.

Several years I found a very nice set of three at Costco. They  go on sale for $7.50 several times a year. My kids have married and moved on and I  ow have scissors in my kitchen, my office and my sewing room.

I miss my kids. 😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

I just placed an order for three pairs of scissors from amazon.  We will see if that helps.  

8 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

One day I had *absolutely had it* with the Case of the Missing Scissors, and I got in my fine fancy minivan, drove straight to Dollar Tree, and bought TWELVE pairs of the surprisingly-decent yellow-handled scissors. 

Aaahhhhh, scissor bliss.

May your future be similarly glorious. 😉

That’s the ticket!

My scissor horde isn’t quite as extensive as I want it to be yet, but it’s getting there. There are 3 pairs in my office/school/craft area, with the fabric scissors hidden underneath things. The kitchen has mostly kiddie scissors in it, since they work for many things in a pinch and I don’t care if they get lost, tossed, or broken.  If someone asks for scissors (because how could they possibly find them where they live?) I usually hand them those and they make do. There are also multiple box cutters scattered around because no one ever feels a need to steal those.

• Like 2

This is why I keep around 4 scissors in every room.  (And of course in the kitchen, the scissors are specifically kitchen scissors.)

It's also why I keep 2 nail clippers in every room, and 2 chapsticks in every room.  And lots of pens, everywhere!  

We've finally reached the point that we can reliably find all-purpose scissors. But we have a lot of pairs around the house.  I can see 3 pairs right now at my desk. There are two pairs in a kitchen drawer and probably my daughter has 3 or 4 in her room. We buy the packs at Costco when they are "on sale" (coupon deal). I've never tried dollar store scissors - are they good? We have been trying to avoid buying cheap tools so we don't have to rebuy so often. 

And though I don't sew very  much, my sewing scissors are hidden in the sewing box that no one ever opens. Even if someone wanted something else out of that box, they know the scissors are not to be touched. 

10 minutes ago, marbel said:

I've never tried dollar store scissors - are they good? We have been trying to avoid buying cheap tools so we don't have to rebuy so often. 

I bought Westcott scissors at Dollar Tree yesterday.  They cut just fine, but the blades are too flexible and allow the handle to be pushed a bit too far over while cutting, allowing the thumb loop to slide past the finger loop and pinch my fingers.  As long as I don't apply too much pressure while cutting, they work fine, but I don't want to have to think about how much pressure I'm applying, KWIM?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klmama said:

I bought Westcott scissors at Dollar Tree yesterday.  They cut just fine, but the blades are too flexible and allow the handle to be pushed a bit too far over while cutting, allowing the thumb loop to slide past the finger loop and pinch my fingers.  As long as I don't apply too much pressure while cutting, they work fine, but I don't want to have to think about how much pressure I'm applying, KWIM?  

I totally get that. I hate things I have to fiddle with. Call me a scissors/tool snob, or privileged, or whatever... at this point in my life I just can't have fiddly stuff that I can't just use for the purpose without worrying about it malfunctioning.  

I have like three pairs of scissors in my kitchen that are worthless. No idea why I own them but in various caddies and organizers I have multiple pairs of scissors. Yet I reach for them to open a package and they are worthless. This morning I actually went looking for a pair of little kid size scissors that actually worked.

So I have scissors in my kitchen but only because they are so worthless no one would bother swipe them.