Jump to content

Menu

What are your kids doing for summer?


Recommended Posts

What are your kids doing for summer this year? 

What are you comfortable doing with Covid?  Indoor things?  Are outdoor things safe this summer?   

I keep hearing it is going to be so much better by summer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if I had kids of average risk we’d be basically back to normal as soon as both of us have fully immunity. But we have a child that’s high risk so we’re continuing as usual until toddlers can get vaccinated or enough people get vaccinated that the pandemic ends.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

My youngest is 16, and I've never been more grateful for that than this year. We've all 5 had both doses of the vaccine, so the countdown is on for full immunity, and then we will resume fairly regular activities. 

Oldest will be working at summer camp again, so I'm *very* glad he was able to get vaccinated. 

Youngest will (hopefully) resume in person fencing (and will even be able to go to his club's "stuck fencers" night, when fully vaccinated folks can fence w/o also wearing a covid face mask under their fencing mask) if he wants to. 

Middle will (hopefully) find something to do, because we need him to work through the covid anxiety he's built up this past year+. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My dancer is going to SFB for his summer intensive. He's fully vaccinated as of whenever it kicks in. So yes, definitely comfortable. I had a moment in between when we'd fully committed and when we just weren't sure if he'd get the shot. But then he was the first one of us to manage to get it, lol.

My other kid is doing summer youth employment. We are arguing about it. One of the jobs seems to be working in cybersecurity for the feds. I was like DUDE, do it! I think he's going to work for the theater camp instead. All the jobs are supposed to be virtual. Sigh. He'll also be fully vaxxed. 

Both of them are... I guess? Going to WDW with their friends in late August. Friend's grandparents had points that had to be used so they have a place on property for free. They're driving. They have wrangled a dad who will nap at the place and chill and leave them alone into going with them. In between lots of gaming, they've been making detailed budgets. So... we'll see how this pans out.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Farrar said:

My dancer is going to SFB for his summer intensive. He's fully vaccinated as of whenever it kicks in. So yes, definitely comfortable. I had a moment in between when we'd fully committed and when we just weren't sure if he'd get the shot. But then he was the first one of us to manage to get it, lol.

My other kid is doing summer youth employment. We are arguing about it. One of the jobs seems to be working in cybersecurity for the feds. I was like DUDE, do it! I think he's going to work for the theater camp instead. All the jobs are supposed to be virtual. Sigh. He'll also be fully vaxxed. 

Both of them are... I guess? Going to WDW with their friends in late August. Friend's grandparents had points that had to be used so they have a place on property for free. They're driving. They have wrangled a dad who will nap at the place and chill and leave them alone into going with them. In between lots of gaming, they've been making detailed budgets. So... we'll see how this pans out.

Aww, congrats to your dancer son.  I am glad he gets to redo last summer and go out to SFB.  

Wow working with the Feds.  That is crazy as a teen isn't it? Neat.

Awww WDW.  Fun.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My teens will continue with their weekly tennis lessons at the sports center and taking online classes at the community college. The classes they are taking at community college are low priority for being back on campus. 
 

Recreation centers, YMCAs, libraries are reopening so we are hoping summer would be better and that we could do a short road trip in August. 
 

ETA:

Also we hope to get some volunteer work done. My teens are introverts and so we are aiming to help sort goods at the food bank nearby.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to keep an eye on the numbers. Since my kids are little and won't be vaccinated, I expect we'll do outdoor playdates and that's it. But that's more than what we've done so far -- we've kept our socializing virtual this year. Thankfully, that has gone surprisingly well after a slow start during the first few months of the pandemic. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

My boys will be 16 in June.  We will continue to be overly cautious, but DH and I, and my dad, have had our 1st shot.  I signed them up for our summer swim team today and we will see how it goes.  They don't care if we are overly careful otherwise, but they want to swim.  I feel they gave up an entire year to help keep their grandparents safe and I don't want them to lose anymore time.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

DS would like to do some lifeguarding in July if the pond is open. In a regular year he would want to bank some serious cash, but this year it’s more important to spend time with friends and soak up as much fun as possible. 

I think he wants to keep the remainder of June after graduation open for just chilling and August will be spent getting ready to leave for university. If all goes well, we’ll spend some time exploring his new country and city before student housing opens. 

It’s likely that we’ll have family visit this summer, and we have friends coming in from out of state (none will be staying with us). I expect we will be busier than we want to be. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've planned a few summer family camping trips in nearby provincial parks.  I hope they will be open by then - they've all closed for camping now due to the third wave that's hitting us hard.

We'll probably meet with friends for outdoor days at the beach or hikes.  Assuming our third wave settles down.  Our stay-at-home order expires in early May, but who know if it will be extended.  Cases are still rising sharply, so I'm actually not hopeful.

The kids' usual summer camp is cancelled again this year.  Which is just as well.  It's very unlikely that my kids will be eligible to be vaxxed in time, so I wouldn't have sent them anyway.

No indoor anything.

We're lucky to be walking distance to our nearby lake for swimming, so that's nice even if we're still shut down.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

DS 17 will have had both shots, so he’d like to go back to his theater group.  I am debating.  It’s inside, studio probably not well ventilated.  
 

DD 9 won’t be vaxxed, so we will probably still be fairly cautious.
 

Other than possibly theater, I’m not planning anything indoors.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are planning to have a fairly normal summer.  Dd18 is going to be working to help pay for college expenses next year and is going to 1 week long camp.  Ds13 is going to 1 or 2 week long camps (one is just our church, so people that have been together a lot already).  He’s also taking a summer English class he needs.  Dd5 and I will be going to the church camp with ds.  We are hoping to take a family vacation before dd18 goes to college, probably late summer.

If you’re curious, we are not vaxxed.  Dh had an appointment to get it yesterday, but he has bronchitis, so his doctor told him to wait.  Dd18 plans to get it before going to college.  She only recently became eligible in our state.  Both wanted the J&J vax, but now that they have halted using it, I’m not sure what they will do.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty normal for us. Dh and I are vaccinated and Dd will be in June. Plans could change if the virus numbers go up, of course.

 Dd - intern at summer camp for 5 weeks, working at Publix or CfA, driving practice, personal finance course, beginning her AHG Stars and Stripes project.

Ds - church camp, Scout camp, youth group trip, football day camp, working at Publix, swimming and fishing. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of travel in our RV; we're supposed to go to Cape Cod in June and spend time with my in-laws who we haven't seen in well over a year, and from there we plan to stay gone until we have to come home so DH can go back to work in August. My oldest applied for some research things for summer but didn't get any; bummer for him, but we're very much looking on the bright side and appreciating that we'll have him with us for the whole trip--might be the last time that happens. Everyone will be vaccinated who can be vaccinated; my two youngest won't be, so we're still looking at a definite focus on outside stuff. But that's why I get out of the southeast in summer and go where there's a better chance of nice weather for being outside. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't restrict my kids from anything as far as Covid goes, except possibly things involving older people, depending on numbers.

My kids have aged out of most of the things they used to do in the summer, but I did find 3 specialty day camps to take up most of June.

I believe they will be pretty engaged with sports and marching band for much of July and August.

I'm thinking about adding some online math review / prep, but maybe I'll try to just do that at home.  Not sure.  It gets harder to get their cooperation on these things as they get older.  Hopefully I can find some good audiobooks for a literature boost.  I am hoping their honors English class will have summer homework, which is the norm here, but didn't happen last year due to Covid (probably because libraries were closed?).

Would love to find either or both of them a summer job or a good volunteer gig.  At 14 I'm not really sure what's out there that they would do.  It's not like when I was a kid, LOL.  I should probably start asking them to look around though.  Maybe there are things they hear about that I don't.

I should be looking into some dog training classes for my kids and their pup.

We are thinking about doing a road trip since air travel is out until masks are unneeded.

Maybe this will be the year my kids actually learn all those life skills I keep talking about?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kids will be home all summer.  We are vaccinated, they aren’t.  We will try to spread our wings a bit with outdoor outings, and visits to vaccinated grandparents.  (We have been very isolated this whole year when I was unvaccinated with LongCovid.)  They are young enough they don’t have summer expectations, which is nice.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be getting out more, still masked tho. Gonna see some campuses, maybe fly to visit my dad (aging, poor health). We’re leveraging our visit to make sure he gets the vax. The only one here who hasn’t had a first dose is DS.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully, all of us will be vaccinated by summer, except youngest who can't until fall.  However, he is a high risk category so we will still be being cautious.

DD20 is planning to continue her work from home job tutoring and getting ready to go away to college in the fall.

DS18 is planning to join the marines if we can ever get the medical paperwork straightened out.

DS15 is planning to hang out at home and play minecraft.  We are looking at possibly letting him go to scout camp, but there are a lot of things up in the air with that.  I have not been overly happy with how his troop is handling things or the council for that matter.

Likely the boys and DH will do some camping by themselves over the summer.  I am also hoping for some family hikes and things we can do socially distanced.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

We will be getting out more, still masked tho. Gonna see some campuses, maybe fly to visit my dad (aging, poor health). We’re leveraging our visit to make sure he gets the vax. The only one here who hasn’t had a first dose is DS.

We did this with my in laws too. They want to come out this summer, but we insisted they were vaxxed first. It took refusing access to all her grandkids (our DS and DH's brothers kids) to get her to agree to getting vaccinated. It worked. 🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Nada. DS will be 13 and isn't eligible for a vaccine yet. We will just be loafing around at home. 

Guys, I am so boooooored. I really want to travel and see people again. 

Can you and your DH or a friend get away for a weekend without your DS? I’m sure it’s not ideal, but nothing is right now and you’d get a little break, anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Nada. DS will be 13 and isn't eligible for a vaccine yet. We will just be loafing around at home. 

Guys, I am so boooooored. I really want to travel and see people again. 

I really hope the that 12-15 vaccine will be coming soon.  I think it is with all the news on it a few weeks ago.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Can you and your DH or a friend get away for a weekend without your DS? I’m sure it’s not ideal, but nothing is right now and you’d get a little break, anyway. 

DS would be really, really hurt if we went out and had fun while he couldn't. He has been an amazingly patient kid through this whole thing and hasn't complained once, so it feels wrong and selfish to go off and have fun without him.  And anyway, we don't have anyone available to stay with kiddo if we went away, (long story there, not worth getting into). 

I am just griping. I know this isn't forever, but some days it sure feels like it! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

DS would be really, really hurt if we went out and had fun while he couldn't. He has been an amazingly patient kid through this whole thing and hasn't complained once, so it feels wrong and selfish to go off and have fun without him.  And anyway, we don't have anyone available to stay with kiddo if we went away, (long story there, not worth getting into). 

I am just griping. I know this isn't forever, but some days it sure feels like it! 

I think the kids getting through all this are pretty amazing!   My kids have been home all this time too and I couldn't imagine leaving them home and us going and having fun after this year.  Can you rent an Airbnb some place for all of you?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

DS would be really, really hurt if we went out and had fun while he couldn't. He has been an amazingly patient kid through this whole thing and hasn't complained once, so it feels wrong and selfish to go off and have fun without him.  And anyway, we don't have anyone available to stay with kiddo if we went away, (long story there, not worth getting into). 

I am just griping. I know this isn't forever, but some days it sure feels like it! 

Yeah, fair enough. 
Gripe away—we all need to some days! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SKL said:

I won't restrict my kids from anything as far as Covid goes, except possibly things involving older people, depending on numbers.

My kids have aged out of most of the things they used to do in the summer, but I did find 3 specialty day camps to take up most of June.

I believe they will be pretty engaged with sports and marching band for much of July and August.

I'm thinking about adding some online math review / prep, but maybe I'll try to just do that at home.  Not sure.  It gets harder to get their cooperation on these things as they get older.  Hopefully I can find some good audiobooks for a literature boost.  I am hoping their honors English class will have summer homework, which is the norm here, but didn't happen last year due to Covid (probably because libraries were closed?).

Would love to find either or both of them a summer job or a good volunteer gig.  At 14 I'm not really sure what's out there that they would do.  It's not like when I was a kid, LOL.  I should probably start asking them to look around though.  Maybe there are things they hear about that I don't.

I should be looking into some dog training classes for my kids and their pup.

We are thinking about doing a road trip since air travel is out until masks are unneeded.

Maybe this will be the year my kids actually learn all those life skills I keep talking about?

Chick fil A will hire at 14. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I think the kids getting through all this are pretty amazing!   My kids have been home all this time too and I couldn't imagine leaving them home and us going and having fun after this year.  Can you rent an Airbnb some place for all of you?

Maybe. I should dig around and look into day trips that we could do. We have animals, so arranging for their care ads another layer of expense for travel. But there's got to be something around here we can do to break up the monotony.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

We joined a nearby country club so the kids could do tennis, golf, and swimming for the summer.  Since it's private it's not subject to the rules for public spaces, but in general it isn't crowded the way that a public pool often is, so I feel like it's safer overall.  Plus it's mostly outside and the demographics have a high vaccination rate here.

My youngest is playing baseball and I'm coaching, but we opted out of the summer playground program through the parks department that we would have done if it weren't for covid.  We will finally be letting them do playdates without worrying about the other family's level of isolation.  All the adults they will be in close contact with will be vaccinated.  Unfortunately, I still can't take my kids to visit their great grandparents until they (the kids) are vaccinated.  My oldest is 12 and dh is not wanting to vaccinate him, but the topic is still under discussion. The younger ones probably won't be eligible for vaccination before fall, but we might hold out for longer for them.  I'm hoping they can attend their great grandma's 98th birthday party in September.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In person driver's Ed (all participants vaccinated), participating in a small homeschool grad ceremony in June, hopefully with family present, writing a new dinosaur class for fall, getting ready to go away to college. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My older son (17) has applied for a 5 week park restoration gig.  That would be outdoors with other older teens.  He finds out in May if he’s been selected.  It pays $600/week so he’s pretty hopeful that it works out.  He’s also registered for a 10 day canoe trip/camp thing.  He’s also learning to drive.  
 

My younger son (12) is registered for 1 week of CYO day camp and 1 week of wilderness day camp with an archery focus.  I keep meaning to check if scouts will be having any camping opportunities here or not.  If they are and I can get him in, he’s going.  Soccer starts in August.  If I want him to, he can also do 4 weeks of therapeutic autism day camp but I think I am relinquishing that spot and not having  him do that.  I have until 5/1 to decide without losing the money we have paid for it.  It’s an in-demand program with a long waiting list so they can fill his spot immediately.  My concern is that it will be more focused on the needs of younger kids and there’s the opportunity cost of the CYO camp and a family trip.  He gets a lot of therapeutic support at school and I’m thinking it might be good to see how he can do with a less regimented summer.  

My older son is getting vaccinated this month.  My husband and I are getting our second doses this weekend.  I’m comfortable with the level of Covid related precautions in place at the programs we have registered for. 

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

DS10 and DS13 will do school in the mornings and then i expect they will spend most of their afternoons at the small, usually empty pool in my parents' apartment complex.  We usually join a big community pool but I'm hesitant to do that this summer.  They'll take care of the puppy, too.  We've been doing online dog training classes but as soon as DS13 is vaccinated I'm eager to sign us the two of us up for an in-person class.

DS15 will be eligible to get vaccinated in May.  He won't be done with this school year until mid-June and then will be doing a fair amount of school over the summer.  Also drivers ed/driving practice, SAT/ACT prep, and he needs some sort of job.  He would love to work in-person but I think he'll ultimately wind up just doing some web design work.  

We really want to go visit my inlaws, which would entail a 14-hour drive, but they don't want us to visit until DS10 is vaccinated.  

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...