Menu

Are anyone else's kids taking the test or already took it? DD10 took it today and DD8 takes it Thursday. We've never done it before but so far it's been a great experience. 

DD took it for the fourth year a couple weeks ago. She has always enjoyed this as a low key math contest. And she says this year’s t-shirt is the best one yet. 🙂

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MeaganS said:

Are anyone else's kids taking the test or already took it? DD10 took it today and DD8 takes it Thursday. We've never done it before but so far it's been a great experience. 

We'll take it on Thursday as well 🙂 . 

There were massive amounts of cheating last year, by the way -- so if you want to see how your kid did compared to other kids, you should compare to scores from other years, since I expect the same amount of cheating this year. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

We'll take it on Thursday as well 🙂 . 

There were massive amounts of cheating last year, by the way -- so if you want to see how your kid did compared to other kids, you should compare to scores from other years, since I expect the same amount of cheating this year.

Thanks for the heads up. She only missed 2 so she's pretty pumped. Since this is our first year, our expectations are pretty low. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

Thanks for the heads up. She only missed 2 so she's pretty pumped. Since this is our first year, our expectations are pretty low. 

Oh, very nice!! That's a good score 🙂 .

DD8 missed something like 3 last year, but her percentile actually dipped from the year before that, when she missed MANY more 😂. If you look at their high scorer lists, last year was the only year they had to upload files 😉

ETA: OK, I'm still bitter, I admit 😛 

Edited by Not_a_Number
Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Oh, very nice!! That's a good score 🙂 .

DD8 missed something like 3 last year, but her percentile actually dipped from the year before that, when she missed MANY more 😂. If you look at their high scorer lists, last year was the only year they had to upload files 😉

Where do they post previous lists and things? 

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

As purely random curiosity, how did you find out about the contest if not through their website? 😄 

Here. I mean, we used the website to sign up and get practice tests and things. I just didn't know they had results on there. 😊

• Like 1

My oldest did it a couple weeks ago (I don't remember exactly when). DD#2's window opens this Thursday but I'm not sure exactly which day we'll have her take it.

DS's window opens a week from Thursday. I have to figure out if he's really interested in doing it or not. He's in 1st grade, and when it was sign-up time, I had no idea where he would be (mathematically or maturity-wise) by this point in the year, so I just went ahead and signed him up. His attention span is not really strong enough to stay focused on a test that long without my help, especially on a computer. I have a feeling that if he does it, he will end up quitting halfway through or just picking random answers to be done. But he might say he wants to because it's a chance to do what his big sisters do.

• Like 1

Canadian Math Kangaroo ran about a month ago.  Both kids participated (this is their 3rd year).  We don't get results until May, I think.  No T-shirts here.

It's a nice, low-key, mathy fun thing to do. 

• Like 1

Dd8 just finished as well! She didn't do as well as she hoped but this was literally her first time with a standardized test besides the national mythology exam. She loves the t-shirt and tiny kangaroo though. 😊

• Like 1
Just now, MeaganS said:

Dd8 just finished as well! She didn't do as well as she hoped but this was literally her first time with a standardized test besides the national mythology exam. She loves the t-shirt and tiny kangaroo though. 😊

We’ve loved practicing for it as test prep!! They are fun 🙂