Jump to content

Menu

Recommended Posts

We've currently gotten into a pattern of doing a practice math contest as DD8's "math work" on Thursday. She gets a prize if she gets a good score (she had test anxiety before we started this, and this really fixed it for her), so I think she's going to be loathe to give up the time 😉. However, we've currently gone through all the Math Kangaroos for her grade level, and while I'd like her to practice for the AMC8, I'd rather not use all the contests in the archive just yet. 

Anyone know of any other fun contests in a similar format? I'd like something that wasn't super short and more "problem solving" than "fast calculating." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Is that more calculation? 

I think it depends on what level, school level is more calculations. We use State and National level for ds to prepare for AMC 10. He qualified for AIME first time he took AMC 10, in 6th grade. Perhaps Chapter level for AMC8

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SDMomof3 said:

I think it depends on what level, school level is more calculations. We use State and National level for ds to prepare for AMC 10. He qualified for AIME first time he took AMC 10, in 6th grade. Perhaps Chapter level for AMC8

Aaah, OK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SDMomof3 said:

I think it depends on what level, school level is more calculations. We use State and National level for ds to prepare for AMC 10. He qualified for AIME first time he took AMC 10, in 6th grade. Perhaps Chapter level for AMC8

Cool, thanks. How did you use them to practice for AMC 10? Did you time them? 

I looked at them, and you're right -- the Chapter and State level ones look good. Did you have to order the old ones?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Math League? I actually just learned about it. WE haven't tried it. DD attended a practice / info session for ARML and we heard about Math League there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Cool, thanks. How did you use them to practice for AMC 10? Did you time them? 

I looked at them, and you're right -- the Chapter and State level ones look good. Did you have to order the old ones?

He just did problems, we didn’t time them. Ds only did timed test a few weeks before the exam to get the pacing. 
our math club order old exams for the kids. 

Edited by SDMomof3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WTM said:

Math League? I actually just learned about it. WE haven't tried it. DD attended a practice / info session for ARML and we heard about Math League there.

Those look a bit more calculational... hmmm, maybe I should go check out the Canadian contests. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wathe said:

I remember writing these when I was in high school.  They were fun! 

I see that homeschools can participate.  I think that's newish?

Looks like registration for homeschools is pretty easy.  I'm going to sign us up.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SDMomof3 said:

The problems look interesting. 

I think they ought to work well -- it's a very similar format and timing, and the kinds of problems are similar. 

 

6 minutes ago, wathe said:

I remember writing these when I was in high school.  They were fun! 

I see that homeschools can participate.  I think that's newish?

Yeah, I wrote them in high school as well, so I'm a bit embarrassed I forgot about them! I was never as good at these as I was at slower contests, though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Not_a_Number said:

I think they ought to work well -- it's a very similar format and timing, and the kinds of problems are similar. 

Are the levels equivalent? What you say is AMC 8 level?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think they ought to work well -- it's a very similar format and timing, and the kinds of problems are similar. 

 

Yeah, I wrote them in high school as well, so I'm a bit embarrassed I forgot about them! I was never as good at these as I was at slower contests, though. 

I seem to remember that Waterloo tracked results and counted them as part of your application portfolio if you applied to attend university there.  I think there may have been scholarships attached to them too? 

ETA this was back in the late 80's and very early 90's.  I'm sure everything has changed since then.

Edited by wathe
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wathe said:

I seem to remember that Waterloo tracked results and counted them as part of your application portfolio if you applied to attend university there.  I think there may have been scholarships attached to them too? 

I bet there were, yes 🙂 . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SDMomof3 said:

Are the levels equivalent? What you say is AMC 8 level?

I was going to do the grade 8 Gauss, I think 🙂 . Not that it's a perfect match, but I bet it'll be good enough to practice and spot conceptual issues. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MOEMS. One year’s test is spread out over five shorter tests. Each of the shorter tests consists of five problems and a 30 minute time limit. Depending on speed and stamina, you could simply give her however many sets of five questions make sense for her in a sitting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jackie said:

MOEMS. One year’s test is spread out over five shorter tests. Each of the shorter tests consists of five problems and a 30 minute time limit. Depending on speed and stamina, you could simply give her however many sets of five questions make sense for her in a sitting.

I've been having trouble finding old contests other than in the books they sell... do you know if there's a compilation somewhere? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've been having trouble finding old contests other than in the books they sell... do you know if there's a compilation somewhere? 

I don’t think so. We bought one of the books.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I don’t think so. We bought one of the books.

Thanks! I may go that route. Would they be easy to copy out of there, do you think? I like them on separate pieces of paper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Thanks! I may go that route. Would they be easy to copy out of there, do you think? I like them on separate pieces of paper. 

That’s what I do. I used to staple a set of five together and put them on a clipboard in the car for DD to poke at when she got bored. She’d hand them to me to score when she finished a packet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jackie said:

That’s what I do. I used to staple a set of five together and put them on a clipboard in the car for DD to poke at when she got bored. She’d hand them to me to score when she finished a packet.

Cool. That sounds like that would work for us. Thank you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lulu said:

The Canadian contest look very good. 
What level do you think will be around AMC 10?

Probably the grade 10 contest, I'd guess 😄 . I don't think it's a perfect match, but it was the closest thing I found by far. (And I'm embarrassed that I forgot about them! I took them in high school myself. I took the AMCs, too, for that matter...) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, Not_a_Number said:

Probably the grade 10 contest, I'd guess 😄 . I don't think it's a perfect match, but it was the closest thing I found by far. (And I'm embarrassed that I forgot about them! I took them in high school myself. I took the AMCs, too, for that matter...) 

How did you study for these exams? I am trying to figure out how many hours my son should dictate to studying for AMC 10 next year. He almost made AIME, missed the cut off by 0.5 points. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Swimmer1112 said:

How did you study for these exams? I am trying to figure out how many hours my son should dictate to studying for AMC 10 next year. He almost made AIME, missed the cut off by 0.5 points. 

It depends on what kinds of questions he's missing! If there are missing concepts, I'd work on that. If he's having timing issues, I'd work on that. 

Right now, I'm going to prepare DD8 for the AMC 8, and for us, getting the concepts down would be the right route. But when we were prepping for the Math Kangaroo, we mostly just needed to work on her timing, since she had the concepts all down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...