Menu

Have you tried anything new lately???

mommyoffive

Have you tried anything new lately?  Anything at all? 

Thoughts and experiences? 

Food, classes, products, and on and on

I tried Coke with coffee yesterday.  I had no idea this existed.  I am not a coffee or pop fan at all.   I didn't love it or hate it and you could taste both of them for sure.  I don't know who thought of this.  I guess I don't ever mix any of my drinks and wouldn't even think to.  

Amazon.com : Coca-Cola with Coffee - Coffee Caramel | 12 fl oz. Slim Cans, 69 mg of caffeine | Pack of 12 : Grocery & Gourmet Food

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bi bim bap (Korean dish) at a gluten free restaurant (it usually has gluten in the sauce).  I might actually have had it before but not in a few years and couldn't really remember how it tastes.  I was quite happy with it especially because they gave us the spicy sauce on the side so that we could adjust the spiciness to our own taste.

This isn't super new but this last year I did new volunteering - passing out covid dry goods and groceries to seniors and other impacted in our community.  Once this volunteer gig is over (because it's winding down) it has motivated me to think of new volunteer opportunities.

I have started with a new personal trainer.  I was quite nervous about this but reminded myself that if it wasn't a good fit, I could just look for a different trainer.  I have actually been very pleased with her. 

I also tried a new vaccine 😉  but that might not be what you mean.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

I might have to try some new flavors of ice cream so I can participate in this thread.  🙂  

Other than that, I found out that Kohl's has a new return policy that I was unaware of and made me unable to return items I thought I could.  I am angry about it but they don't care.  

ETA - the return policy isn't really new - they said they changed it at the end of 2019, but I was unaware of it since I don't shop in the store and they didn't notify customers by email.  So new to me.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I tried Coke with coffee yesterday.  I had no idea this existed.  I am not a coffee or pop fan at all.   I didn't love it or hate it and you could taste both of them for sure.  I don't know who thought of this.  I guess I don't ever mix any of my drinks and wouldn't even think to.  

Funny! I bought this for a coworker of mine who does drink coke and coffee and she said the same thing- that she could taste both the coke and the coffee.

• Like 2

I try new recipes semi-regularly:
- Chocolate Orange Cake for Easter
- Carrot Cake Swirl Cheesecake for ds' birthday back in March
- Zucchini Oatmeal giant scone/cookies with pumpkin seeds for lunches. That was a winner, for sure.

I am not a puzzle person, so starting with a 1000-piece difficult one has not been progressing very quickly.

Trying not to kill my houseplants, does that count?

DH tries new things with seeds and gardening every year, can't even list all the things he's got on the go right now.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

My daughter made a variation on frose' (frozen rose') that surprised me. I don't like sweet wines, but she does. We froze the wine in ice cube trays, then she blended the drink, similar to this:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/frose-frozen-rose-wine

That was OK, but the next day I just threw some of the cubes in a glass and poured plain seltzer over, and I loved that. Not so sweet, and the feel of a cocktail while being very low alcohol. Could be a fun party drink if one ever has a party again!

I been working on amping up my bible study/prayer time using a journal that has been mostly helpful for making me better pay attention to my reading, etc. (https://dailykairos.com/ - I have no affiliation with them at all, just posting in case anyone is interested.) 

• Like 8

It was a couple of weeks ago, now, but I recently went camping by myself for the first time. It was lovely, and I am looking forward to doing it again as soon as I can come up with a plan and free up time from work.

I also try to find new hiking/walking trails to explore pretty regularly. 

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 22

I’ve tried some new makeup products lately, which is a bit weird for me since most days I only wear tinted sunscreen and colorless lip balm. I started by watching YouTube videos on how to (very simply!) up my makeup game for days that I want to. It has been fun! I mostly like Stephanie Marie, Lisa J, and Angie at Hot and Flashy. Probably the best purchase regarding skincare or makeup this year has been trying curology. It has been a game changer for me. Other stuff I’ve tried has just been fun stuff like new lip glosses and concealer.

oh, and I bought my first stand mixer! I’ve found a yummy and easy recipe for a classic white loaf of bread that my (picky) family actually likes, so that has been fun. I haven’t used it very much, but I never really thought I would so that’s ok. I’d like to try Ina Garten’s homemade chocolate cake next. I don’t think I’ve ever made a homemade cake and frosting before (other than pioneer woman’s sheet cake). 

Fun thread!

• Like 11

I signed up to do a virtual marathon, mostly because the completion medal is really heckin' cool: https://www.theconqueror.events/giza/

We tried a new recipe and made our own protein bars. They are surprisingly good! The texture is somewhere between rice pudding and cheesecake, so it feels like you are eating dessert. Even the 12 yo likes them. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I signed up to do a virtual marathon, mostly because the completion medal is really heckin' cool: https://www.theconqueror.events/giza/

We tried a new recipe and made our own protein bars. They are surprisingly good! The texture is somewhere between rice pudding and cheesecake, so it feels like you are eating dessert. Even the 12 yo likes them. 

Wanna share the recipe?  Sounds yummy.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I have done a bunch of those Conqueror challenges and enjoyed collecting the medals. That one is extremely cool!

I'm currently in a self-imposed prohibition on signing up for any more walking challenges, because I have enough to keep me busy for a while. But that medal is pretty tempting . . .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I have done a bunch of those Conqueror challenges and enjoyed collecting the medals. That one is extremely cool!

I'm currently in a self-imposed prohibition on signing up for any more walking challenges, because I have enough to keep me busy for a while. But that medal is pretty tempting . . .

I want to do this one next, from a different company. Hilarious! https://runsignup.com/Race/CA/Anywhere/SchruteFarms#

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I have been taking an undergraduate English module for the past ten weeks. I've been really enjoying the research and essay writing.

Is it for a degree or something you are doing for enjoyment? I've kind of wanted to do something like this but just for the sake of doing it and not for credit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Have you tried anything new lately?  Anything at all? 

Thoughts and experiences? 

Food, classes, products, and on and on

Amazon.com : Coca-Cola with Coffee - Coffee Caramel | 12 fl oz. Slim Cans, 69 mg of caffeine | Pack of 12 : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I did not know this existed and am looking forward to trying it. I’m a big fan of both Coke and coffee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Interesting!  I love both Coke and coffee...  I might try and make my own recipe with this sometime.  It sounds like it'd be good as an iced drink on hot days!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

That was OK, but the next day I just threw some of the cubes in a glass and poured plain seltzer over, and I loved that. Not so sweet, and the feel of a cocktail while being very low alcohol. Could be a fun party drink if one ever has a party again!

That's a great idea!  I'm going to try this sometime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Is it for a degree or something you are doing for enjoyment? I've kind of wanted to do something like this but just for the sake of doing it and not for credit.

The module is part of an evening degree, so I do the work and get the grade. It's up to me if I want to meet the requirements to complete the degree. I already have two other degrees so it's just for fun.

• Like 4

I just started Duolingo in French so that I can speak with my soon-to-be son-in-law's family someday. 🙂  

I also signed up for a water-painting class which I'm really excited about!  It's all online (live), not sure how that works exactly...    I pick up my supply kit at a local art store next week.  (This is something I've always wanted to do but never have.)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Bi bim bap (Korean dish)...

My latest thing has been cooking with a donabe (which, correct me if I'm wrong, translates from Japanese as "clay pot"). It is roughly like a covered casserole dish that can be used on the stovetop.

It was given to us as a gift many years ago by the parents of my brothers wife, who originally came from Korea. I've always kept in a special protected place as I didn't want to risk breakage. But a couple of weeks ago, I thought "what am I saving this for, better to use it."

When I did, I felt strong memories of my brother's FIL (who was such a sweet man, but now sadly passed) and his wife (who is fortunately still with us). I liked the whole experience so much that I've used it almost every night for the past weeks.

The donabe cooks food in a most interesting way. I've done Japanese and Korean inspired meals in it, but I've also been inventing many dishes that are culturally ambiguous.

Always fun to have a new cooking tool and especially true when there is a sentimental attachment.

Bill

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Did you get the flexi? Is it working without leakages? 

Extreme (the rigid one).  No leaks (once I got the knack, it did take a few tries).  The rigid plastic makes it easy to worm it into place with minimal need to move clothing.  I think the flexi would be harder to use.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I want to do this one next, from a different company. Hilarious! https://runsignup.com/Race/CA/Anywhere/SchruteFarms#

I'll admit I had to look up the reference. I always appreciate these kinds of subtle nods to fandoms, though!

I'm doing the Spring Start through this company, which is also benefitting Feeding America: https://nationwiderun.org/ 

An example of the reasons I am prohibiting myself from signing up for more challenges: I did the Holiday Hustle and enjoyed it, then apparently decided it would be fun to complete all four of the seasonal challenges for 2021, bought myself the annual package and then forgot I had done it. I then apparently decided it would be cool to this one and signed up.  I had committed to 250K for the first one and 202.0 miles for the second, which was okay, but a little bit of a stretch given that I was still working back up from some health stuff.

Meanwhile, at some point earlier, I had also thought it sounded cool to do a "how far can you go?" virtual challenge here and signed up . . . meaning I was tracking mileage for three separate events on different websites for two or three months. 

I have a general policy of not "double dipping" on these challenges, meaning I designate mileage from any one walk to only one challenge, but fortunately I had decided in advance to include all miles for the year in the across America one. 

Currently, in terms of ongoing stuff, I have just the Spring Start (500K) and the catch-all across America, but I am now struggling not to register for every 5K I see with a cute theme. 

• Like 1

We tried lots of new things at the start of Covid -- baked various things, made new foods, etc. Many of those stayed around as permanent additions to our recipe rotation, so that's been really good! 

We got a pizza oven, which isn't new exactly as we had one in Brazil, but has been fun getting back in the swing of things on doing that.  (that sounds so big and spendy, but please know it's a thing we've been planning for 7 years.....)

I did try the new cherry-vanilla coke, which was subtle but good. Not overly sweet, like I feared. 

We've been making our own ice cream off & on this past year, too, and tried some with all lactose free ingredients -- came out nicely. 

I have plans to learn knitting with a friend as soon as I am 2 wks past my last vaccine dose. I keep eyeing her lovely creations and drooling and so she's going to teach me. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

It was a couple of weeks ago, now, but I recently went camping by myself for the first time. It was lovely, and I am looking forward to doing it again as soon as I can come up with a plan and free up time from work.

I also try to find new hiking/walking trails to explore pretty regularly. 

Oh glad to hear you went and had a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

My latest thing has been cooking with a donabe (which, correct me if I'm wrong, translates from Japanese as "clay pot"). It is roughly like a covered casserole dish that can be used on the stovetop.

It was given to us as a gift many years ago by the parents of my brothers wife, who originally came from Korea. I've always kept in a special protected place as I didn't want to risk breakage. But a couple of weeks ago, I thought "what am I saving this for, better to use it."

When I did, I felt strong memories of my brother's FIL (who was such a sweet man, but now sadly passed) and his wife (who is fortunately still with us). I liked the whole experience so much that I've used it almost every night for the past weeks.

The donabe cooks food in a most interesting way. I've done Japanese and Korean inspired meals in it, but I've also been inventing many dishes that are culturally ambiguous.

Always fun to have a new cooking tool and especially true when there is a sentimental attachment.

Bill

Nice. Once we get a kitchen again (I have been without one since October because we gutted our old one and doing most of the remodel ourselves) I can do more ambitious cooking. 

• Like 2

I just tried magnetic lashes.  Because Angie at Hot n Flashy.  You put on this special liquid eye liner and the magnets on the lashes stick to that. I’m not usually a fake lash type. But those looked fun. I may wear them for date night when we ever get a date again!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Nice. Once we get a kitchen again (I have been without one since October because we gutted our old one and doing most of the remodel ourselves) I can do more ambitious cooking. 

Not sure how chose you are to the fruition of your kitchen overhaul, but when I was in the same boat decades back I got a dual burner Camp Chef that's very similar to this one so I could at least cook outdoors :

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-EX60LW-Explorer-Outdoor/dp/B0006VORDY/ref=asc_df_B0006VORDY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194884170462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2843300709912700335&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031190&hvtargid=pla-312838039347&psc=1

Only $125 (plus the cost of a propane tank). And I still have mine after all these years. Almost used it today to cook Japanese mackerel (which I love, but better to keep "the stink" outdoors), but I went in another direction. Feeling lazy/in need of rest today.

Have you tried cooking in a donabe? I'm finding it most interesting. Getting textures that are unique vs other methods.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wathe said:

Extreme (the rigid one).  No leaks (once I got the knack, it did take a few tries).  The rigid plastic makes it easy to worm it into place with minimal need to move clothing.  I think the flexi would be harder to use.

I have a similar one that I need to learn to use.....peeing standing up is hard.

Just now, wathe said:

Mind over matter, for sure.  Willing oneself to go while standing and clothed feels a little weird (OK, a lot weird).

I have been trying to practice here at home.   Backpacking is in my future....I hope.

• Like 2

Yes. I put the Truebill app on my phone and now I’m going around cancelling everything and extorting money from my YAs to pay for their Spotify and Netflix accounts, lol. I really love Truebill so far (although, the irony of subscribing to an app that alerts me to my subscriptions is not lost on me).  It even shows me small changes that could easily go unnoticed, like my subscription to The Economist just went up $3.30. 

The only thing that annoys me at the moment is that a check I wrote to put into our IRAs is showing as “spending,” at least until it turns up in my investment account. So it looks like my “spending” for this month is a bazillion dollars. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Not sure how chose you are to the fruition of your kitchen overhaul, but when I was in the same boat decades back I got a dual burner Camp Chef that's very similar to this one so I could at least cook outdoors :

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-EX60LW-Explorer-Outdoor/dp/B0006VORDY/ref=asc_df_B0006VORDY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194884170462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2843300709912700335&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031190&hvtargid=pla-312838039347&psc=1

Only $125 (plus the cost of a propane tank). And I still have mine after all these years. Almost used it today to cook Japanese mackerel (which I love, but better to keep "the stink" outdoors), but I went in another direction. Feeling lazy/in need of rest today.

Have you tried cooking in a donabe? I'm finding it most interesting. Getting textures that are unique vs other methods.

Bill

I have not cooked in a donabe. My brother probably has. 

I have an induction burner indoors for rainy day. A Traeger grill for nice days. 

I tried:

-Califia Dairy Free Mango yogurt (yes, will do that again!)

-Forager plant-based vanilla bean yogurt (nope, won't do that again.)

-Howard's Feed and Wax on my dulled furniture and it worked great and has a pleasant scent. I felt I accomplished a lot using this for my ignored and dulled furniture.   https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

-Went skiing a few times on my own and thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Like 4