Menu

What kind of student for Lightening Lit?

Janeway

Someone mentioned Lightening Lit and it looks fascinating! My two middle children are quite opposite. One loves to read a ton and needs things more open ended. The other is more of a "check the box" kind of guy. The open ended one does not like to do school work and can get emotional when she has to do things, but loves to read. The older one just wants me to hand him what he needs and let him get it over with.

• 2 weeks later...

Which levels are you considering? Would you use the curriculum in full? We have not done the composition portion, only because my kids need a different approach for that. The reading comprehension and grammar pages are pretty short and sweet on their own. And from what I can tell, the compositions are broken up into bite-size pieces during the week. So in general, I would not call it an “overwhelming” sort of curriculum.

The student books do have weekly checklists, so that can be handy for list-checkers.

For my more reluctant reader, we have used a grade “down” and I’ve read aloud a couple of the longest books.