Menu

How do you clean your kitchen window?

Carrie12345

I’m not a short person. And my arms seem to be proportional for my 5’8 height. So why is cleaning the window above my sink so difficult???  Even using a step stool, the angle to lean in over the counter depth is awkward and kinda scary! I’m not opposed to kneeling on counters, but my sink takes up all the frontage and there are upper cabinets on each side.

What’s the trick?!

• Like 1

I think I cleaned the top of the kitchen window in the last house twice, by standing on the edge of the sink. The rest of the time I just wiped the drops I could reach. 

Before we moved in & when we moved out I hired a professional. 

I'm super short. I use a foldout step stool and the one-knee-on-the-top-step-and-one-on-the-counter method. And then I contort myself as much as possible to clean the upper window. I don't have (much) trouble reaching height-wise, but considerable contortion is required because there's a valance board (don't know if that's the right term or not) linking the cabinets on either side, and a pendant light hanging between that board and the window to work around. Mostly I just clean the bottom window, since it's the one I look out. 😉 

3 hours ago, City Mouse said:

I will be honest and admit that when I did have kitchen windows I didn’t clean them much at all. 

Me too!  I'm so lazy.  My cat is indoor/outdoor and smudges the outside part so much that I rarely bother with it.  

I can reach mine, but at the cabin there was a huge window.  I had a window squeegee like they use on a car window. One side soft and squishy that you dip in water and the other side rubber to squish the water away. I put hand towels at the base of the window to catch the squeegeed liquid.  I used vinegar on it to make the window squeaky clean.  I think they sell them at Home Depot or an auto supply place. 

For my outside windows I use a sponge mop or Magic Eraser mop and a hose. On the inside, just a super cheap sponge mop may work. You could try a sponge mop, squeeze it out really well to wash. Then drape a dry cleaning towel over the mop to dry the window. 

If you have a cleaning supply place in your city, it might be a good place to look for a tool. The people at the counter are usually very knowledgeable about different tools to make jobs fast and easy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tap said:

I can reach mine, but at the cabin there was a huge window.  I had a window squeegee like they use on a car window. One side soft and squishy that you dip in water and the other side rubber to squish the water away. I put hand towels at the base of the window to catch the squeegeed liquid.  I used vinegar on it to make the window squeaky clean.  I think they sell them at Home Depot or an auto supply place. 

For my outside windows I use a sponge mop or Magic Eraser mop and a hose. On the inside, just a super cheap sponge mop may work. You could try a sponge mop, squeeze it out really well to wash. Then drape a dry cleaning towel over the mop to dry the window. 

If you have a cleaning supply place in your city, it might be a good place to look for a tool. The people at the counter are usually very knowledgeable about different tools to make jobs fast and easy. 

All good ideas!  
I was wondering about runoff from squeegeeing.

Most of our windows, including this one, are old aluminum frames and wood surrounds that weren’t well cared for before we moved in... or after. I’m trying to get them to look as clean as possible before a (hopefully) summer listing. I wonder if I can rig something to get in all the crevices.