Menu

Plain workbooks for 2.5 year old.

Clarita

My 4 year old is starting to do Rod and Staff math level 1. Which is a very bland "black and white" workbook as writing/book work. My 2.5 year old is jealous. She wants a bland "black and white" workbook just like her big brother. I have a Singapore PreK-A Dimensions workbook and she was unhappy because it was too "fun" (I think she meant colorful?) and not "workbook" enough for her. 

A coloring book, or even printed coloring pages with a large format letter and a bunch of related pictures?

If it must be a "school" book, you could look at the Explode the Code primers - Get Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, Go for the Code.  They're not aimed at this age group, and some activities will not be age appropriate.  They slowly teach kids to recognize consonants, and as long as the child is developmentally ready (or becomes so over the course of the three books).  I have an almost 4 year old who similarly asks to "do school" like her brothers and this has satisfied her.

I do encourage you to keep it fun and strictly optional at this age.  Don't make her "finish the lesson" or do it when she'd rather paint or build a tower.  That early excitement to learn is real, but if you burn it out by doing too much too soon it's very hard to reignite.  Far better that you insist on putting it away after one page when she really, really wants to do more than drag her through "five more minutes" when her interest is waning.

1 hour ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I do encourage you to keep it fun and strictly optional at this age.

Oh yes, even older brother's bookwork is optional. I think they learn much more through self-directed play and hands-on/practical activities than either of my kids do doing bookwork. I use the Rod and Staff book loosely to know what I should cover sequentially, because I have very little teaching experience and have a tendency to cover things beyond what my kids could comprehend.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I would just buy up a few of those activity books they sell with coloring books in the grocery store. She won't have a clue what they are all about, but she won't care, either! If she asks what to do, just make something up. Have her circle all the As with a red crayon or whatever! 

Actually funny enough she ended up with big brother's hand me down work. Big brother realized she likes coloring so whenever his work has a coloring component he'd give that part to her and he would call it teamwork. She's thrilled and he's thrilled.

• Like 3

On 3/12/2022 at 7:29 PM, Brittany1116 said:

Rod and Staff makes a set of 4 preschool workbooks. After that, they do ABC series. 

That 4 workbook series is actually not made by R&S. It's by Study Time which I believe is an Amish curriculum. You can tell by the pictures of the old fashioned table lamps and wood fired cooking stove. They are adorable. I made that mistake, too, when I saw the samples on Milestone Books but then couldn't find them on my R&S order form. 

• Like 1