Menu

Something useful to do at my desk?

I work at a university and I won't have enough on it to keep me busy 40 hours a week over the summer, but I'm required to be there. It's a stupid rule. We have some people who finish their projects by 4th of July and play a lot of computer chess until early August. I'd work on French or Russian, but it's hard to do the talking part of a language.

I'm debating working on my Comptia certifications, but is there something else I should consider? I like computers/ IT, but prepping for CompTia is super boring, lol.

Thoughts?

Edited by MamaSprout

I would do something like painting, drawing, embroidery or knitting. 

I work in IT, learn languages, but I need my brain to be present. I find arts relaxing and rejuvenating. I am terrible at most of it but getting better. There is an extraordinary sense of satisfaction in creating something however bad with my hands. 

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

I would do something like painting, drawing, embroidery or knitting. 

I work in IT, learn languages, but I need my brain to be present. I find arts relaxing and rejuvenating. I am terrible at most of it but getting better. There is an extraordinary sense of satisfaction in creating something however bad with my hands. 

I could take my spinning wheel in, lol. 

I was thinking of something maybe not quite so obvious to my boss... However if I'm up in my office with a spinning wheel/ paint set/ knitting needles, they might let me start negotiating time off in lieu of a raise next year. hmmm...

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I could take my spinning wheel in, lol. 

I was thinking of something maybe not quite so obvious to my boss... However if I'm up in my office with a spinning wheel/ paint set/ knitting needles, they might let me start negotiating time off in lieu of a raise next year. hmmm...

Hmmm...

Part of language learning for me especially speaking and understanding fluency is through music and movies. Will that help ? Though I am not sure listening 40 hours to something via headphones is a good thing.

Are you just supposed to sit there ? Monitor students ? I am not clear on what you are supposed to do ? 

We had study leave for a month in my country of origin before government exams and one day a week, we could to come to school for a few hours if we needed help. Our teachers used to sit in class as they waited and do handicrafts. Some with weave baskets with plastic wires ,do hand embroidery, knitting. Pardon me if I am completely misunderstanding your post, but if you are just required to be there why should you not do anything with your hands ? if all else fails, just bring a kindle or use your phone and just read.

• Like 1

Some possibilities ~

Writing fiction

Writing a family history

Compiling a collection of family recipes

Creating a digital photo album

Do you have access to a scanner? If yes, scanning photographs.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Pardon me if I am completely misunderstanding your post, but if you are just required to be there why should you not do anything with your hands ? 

Well, because I'm one of the bosses, lol. Because of covid and longer shut-downs I have already done all the projects that need done this year. I was adjuncting English, but they went and hired a full-time professor. 

I have maybe ten hours a week of things to do during the summer. There are classes going on, but they are 95% online. We might have ten students a day through our department. And I have two full-time staff people who work for me, too. I'm fine with the front desk person reading- she needs to do reader advisory and such- but I have the other full-timer doing archiving and scanning to keep him busy. Otherwise he just watches Manga all day.

I can see why so many people go back for their PhD. I just don't have a good reason to do that, though. That's why I was thinking some sort of credentialing. 

Edited by MamaSprout
36 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Well, because I'm one of the bosses, lol. Because of covid and longer shut-downs I have already done all the projects that need done this year. I was adjuncting English, but they went and hired a full-time professor. 

I have maybe ten hours a week of things to do during the summer. There are classes going on, but they are 95% online. We might have ten students a day through our department. And I have two full-time staff people who work for me, too. I'm fine with the front desk person reading- she needs to do reader advisory and such- but I have the other full-timer doing archiving and scanning to keep him busy. Otherwise he just watches Manga all day.

I can see why so many people go back for their PhD. I just don't have a good reason to do that, though. That's why I was thinking some sort of credentialing. 

Do you want to learn a language with a script of it's own ? Pick any Asian one ? I vote for Korean. You can practice understanding by listening to Kpop and Kdrama. It is a wonderful world to fall into. 

I will say Hindi but Bollywood has some terrible movies but good songs from the 90s. Current songs are junk again. 

But if you are an over achiever and think Phd..is beyond my scope of thought. 

• Like 1

I done some web design/ webpage building and I like doing it. I have two sites I maintain, but they are pretty easy. 

I do listen to audiobooks/ great courses when I'm doing what I call advanced clerical work.

I like the volunteering / citizen science ideas. I had no idea those things existed!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Citizen science online?  There are lots of opportunities.

2 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

I done some web design/ webpage building and I like doing it. I have two sites I maintain, but they are pretty easy. 

I do listen to audiobooks/ great courses when I'm doing what I call advanced clerical work.

I like the volunteering / citizen science ideas. I had no idea those things existed!

Please explain "Citizen Science"?  That sounds... amazing.  Currently one-armed so links appreciated....

• Like 1