Menu

It's Getting Real

mom31257

Ds just had a Zoom session with his new advisor and registered for classes this fall! I really liked the guy and think he will be a good person to work with ds.  

Ds has just 5 weeks left until he's done (or earlier if he gets work turned in ahead of due dates). 

It's an exciting time! 

• Like 13

Yes, it is. My senior takes the last DE finals next week, and then we'll close out senior year and send final transcripts, order a diploma, etc. Since Agnes is on a later schedule than some schools, they are only now starting roommate matching, etc, but that is getting real, too. 

The small homeschool grad ceremony we signed up for isn't until June 12, so there's a pretty big gap.

• Like 5

DD#2 has four weeks left of her DE classes. She has orientation scheduled in late May (and will hopefully be 2+ weeks post 2nd vaccination shot then). Her graduation party won't be until mid to late July to correspond with when she will have a regional art display up for people to visit. Time's ticking.

• Like 7

Dd will finish her AP Latin the first week in May, take her DE finals by May 13, graduate with her AA on May 15, finish French 1 by the end of May and ship out June 2. She's got her USAA account and we got the first form verifying her home school enrollment for her clearance. All she has left to do for the Navy is her final fitness prescreening, reminding her clearance references that they'll be contacted and sending in her final transcript. It's coming up fast!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

Dd will finish her AP Latin the first week in May, take her DE finals by May 13, graduate with her AA on May 15, finish French 1 by the end of May and ship out June 2. She's got her USAA account and we got the first form verifying her home school enrollment for her clearance. All she has left to do for the Navy is her final fitness prescreening, reminding her clearance references that they'll be contacted and sending in her final transcript. It's coming up fast!

Is she still planning on the language school?

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Is she still planning on the language school?

No, she decided on IT because it's only 4 years, goes to sea and sets sailors up well to work in lots of clearance-required tech jobs. She's thinking that a three letter agency is her goal. That's her main career interest but she wants to try it out in the Navy before committing to it. Other options are getting out, finishing her degree and commissioning as an officer or deciding the whole military intelligence thing isn't for her and studying accounting.

• Like 6

My ds has two weeks of pretty easy de left. He was doing DO Calculus and Thinkwell micro as well and he finished those up beginning of March. He wrecked his car a while back which means I have been driving him back and forth from de. Not a huge deal but we’ll both be ready for it to be done. I had warned him it would be best to take an easy last semester because he would be so over it and that was accurate.

Like so many others his senior year was not what he planned. He is president of our state 4-H and that would, on a normal year, involve traveling the state for speaking engagements and presiding over conferences and events. He was able to do a couple things but nothing like what he anticipated. He went from the freedom of driving himself everywhere to being carted around after he wrecked his car. So those things were a bummer. 

He pretty much knew where he wanted to go all along and beyond the automatic scholarship he was knew he would get, nothing else really came through. So that has been pretty anticlimactic. 

However, it wasn’t all bad by any stretch. When everything got cancelled last spring he got a job at a grocery store. He went about that with the intensity he does everything and is now working full time as the frozen manager. So he is making money and ended up with some pretty significant job experience. I was a bit unsure how he would do in the real working world so it was good to see he did great. I think that experience and definitely the money he earned is a positive. 

He is my third ds, my best student, and has been the least strife as a teen, so I haven’t spent much time actually worrying about how he will do when he goes, but I did have the thought that it really is coming up fast and getting real. I am pretty excited for him to get to go be a college kid at the school he has always wanted to attend. I think he’ll appreciate it even more after working so hard this past year. 

Through the pandemic it did seem he would never get there but it finally seems like it is happening.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 6

On 4/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, chiguirre said:

Congrats!

as I read your post, I heard the U S A A jingle in my head! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 more weeks until graduation for DS, 4 weeks (I think) for his college math course. It’s going to go by fast, but so much is still up in the air.

He has committed to his International Dream School, but the country currently has the US on a mandatory quarantine list and we are unsure if DH and I will be able to accompany him. We hope to spend some time travelling around the country and getting him acquainted with his new city before move in date, but it’s all hanging on COVID mandates.

We also don’t know if the university will require all students to be vaccinated (we hope so!) or if first semester/year will be online. I’m a planner and this not-knowing is going to be very difficult for me! 

Tbh I’m struggling a bit with his decision to not attend his US Dream School—it’s such a perfect fit for him and we love everything about it (plus it’s only ~3 hours away instead of overseas, which simplifies a lot). I just need to trust him and get over it, but I admits it’s hard. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

7 more weeks until graduation for DS, 4 weeks (I think) for his college math course. It’s going to go by fast, but so much is still up in the air.

He has committed to his International Dream School, but the country currently has the US on a mandatory quarantine list and we are unsure if DH and I will be able to accompany him. We hope to spend some time travelling around the country and getting him acquainted with his new city before move in date, but it’s all hanging on COVID mandates.

We also don’t know if the university will require all students to be vaccinated (we hope so!) or if first semester/year will be online. I’m a planner and this not-knowing is going to be very difficult for me! 

Tbh I’m struggling a bit with his decision to not attend his US Dream School—it’s such a perfect fit for him and we love everything about it (plus it’s only ~3 hours away instead of overseas, which simplifies a lot). I just need to trust him and get over it, but I admits it’s hard. 

One of our friends just made the difficult decision to defer an international dream school and to spend next year at a close to home school instead, due to quarantine rules (she has family only a few hours away, but over an international boundary that currently requires a quarantine) . Mine took the international schools off the list due to COVID. It's just made things that much harder. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

One of our friends just made the difficult decision to defer an international dream school and to spend next year at a close to home school instead, due to quarantine rules (she has family only a few hours away, but over an international boundary that currently requires a quarantine) . Mine took the international schools off the list due to COVID. It's just made things that much harder. 

Yeah, it does make it harder. But realistically it’s likely to only disrupt first semester or year at most, and he doesn’t want to base this decision on a short term problem. He has long wanted to study in the EU and wants to keep the opportunities for staying there open. It’s the right choice for the long term I’m sure, he just had several really fantastic schools to choose from and of course it’s hard for me to send my only kid so far away. 😢

I should add that the university he will be attending is sight unseen. We’ve only spent a day in his new city, whereas the US dream school is familiar. He’s done tours there, taken a class there and has friends who are going, was a top running recruit so he’d start off knowing teammates... whereas the EU school is completely unknown. I guess it’s fair I’m no longer quite as adventurous as I was at 18, but I am truly thankful he has this opportunity and is taking this leap of faith. Maybe he was listening to us all along when we’ve talked about taking advantage of opportunities and creating his own life! 🙂 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Done. She's done. Done!

Took her last DE final on Thursday. Grades finally posted today on the college's transcript interface after her Zoology prof never posted her final exam grade or her grade on her research paper on the campus's learning management system.

I just mailed off her "final official" transcript to her college & she has orientation/registration in just over a week.

I haven't ordered her diploma yet, so I need to get that done this week!

My dd#1 pointed out that with dd#2's graduation, I'm 40% done with this home educating business. I could argue that I'm further along than that, but I'll take it. Dooooooone!! 

• Like 7

Add me to the Dd is attending her international dream school--in the country of her birth, she is a dual citizen.  Right now even vaccinated she will have to quarantine 2 weeks and we probably can't come.  I can't believe that that will last though, so am assuming we will go with her to get her settled and reintroduce her to the folks she knew when she was little.

She is done all class work and just has one live meeting and the AP for Environmental Science left.  She has 2 jobs and is taking extra babysitting and garden work--she is a very hard worker. 

I cannot believe I have 2 through!  I'm so happy for her because she would have graduated 2 years ago if she had her way--she is ready to fly!

• Like 4

Ds had a zoom meet and greet with his Honors LLC tonight. They did intros and then break out rooms and then they had roommate search time. Room selection is coming up next week. 

Ds was ready to just go with a random roommate but he met someone who reached out to him after the meeting and they talked on the phone for quite a while. Seems like a decent match. He is so excited. Excited to have a roommate and happy that pretty much everyone he met seemed reasonable. He is feeling comfortable about living on a floor with the people he met tonight. 

Tonight seemed to be a milestone in the “it’s getting real”. He got to see who would be in his LLC and he feels like he will have a lot in common with the others. 

• Like 5