Menu

Books with broad overview of ancient empires?

I'm looking for books that are relatively short (can be read in 1-2 weeks during school time) that give broad overviews of ancient cultures like China, Rome, Egypt, Persia, and Greece. I'm going to have kids in each stage (grammar, logic, rhetoric), so any grade level is fine. My library has some books, but many of them look like the ghost written, not engaging style of non-fiction book that is all too common. 

Maybe??
https://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/w/the-world-in-ancient-times-wat/?cc=us&lang=en&

These are probably middle-school level.  Each about 180 pages maybe?

titles: 

The Ancient American World,

The Ancient Chinese World,     
The Ancient Egyptian World,      
The Ancient Greek World,     
The Ancient Near Eastern World,

The Ancient Roman World,     
The Ancient South Asian World

We used these in middle school but I read aloud. They are very readable. 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

For grammar stage, we liked the Newspaper series: The Roman News, The Greek Gazette, The Viking Invader..they don't have ones for all the civilizations, but we filled in gaps with the You Wouldn't Want To Be.. series.
For logic stage I second OUP, and then for rhetoric we have a series called What Life Was Like When.. each one covering a major civilization or time period.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, cintinative said:

Maybe??
https://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/w/the-world-in-ancient-times-wat/?cc=us&lang=en&

These are probably middle-school level.  Each about 180 pages maybe?

We used these in middle school but I read aloud. They are very readable. 

So do you think these could be read each in two weeks or so? It looks like I can get them via interlibrary loan, but that would mean we'd have to finish them quickly. 

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

For grammar stage, we liked the Newspaper series: The Roman News, The Greek Gazette, The Viking Invader..they don't have ones for all the civilizations, but we filled in gaps with the You Wouldn't Want To Be.. series.
For logic stage I second OUP, and then for rhetoric we have a series called What Life Was Like When.. each one covering a major civilization or time period.

Thanks! I'll check these out!

25 minutes ago, silver said:

So do you think these could be read each in two weeks or so? It looks like I can get them via interlibrary loan, but that would mean we'd have to finish them quickly. 

It depends on the student I think.  We covered maybe two chapters in a day, but at this point (middle school) we weren't doing history every day.  Maybe you could get one via interlibrary loan and look it over and see what you think?

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, silver said:

I just grabbed our copy of OUP's The European World 400-1450 off of the shelf.  There are 12 chapters, plus an introduction, and each chapter is about 13 pages long.  There are plenty of pictures, at least 1 on each page, so they're not dense in the least.  I think if I were doing it as a 2 week, I'd do 4 days of 1 chapter and 1 day of two chapters each week, or just schedule half the book each week and let the kids decide how to portion it out.

• Like 2