Menu

Garage freezer....do I want wire or glass shelves?

Tap

We have had a chest freezer in the garage for 27 years. I think it is time to get a new one, so I am looking at uprights this time. We used to get half a beef at a time, so the chest freezer with bins was a better choice for long term storage. Now I find I would rather have the accessibility of an upright. I see the same freezer with wire shelves and with glass. Which is better?

I have glass shelving, and it's great. I'm on my second upright and I am thankful that it has an alarm. I can't tell you how many times I had problems with the old one because some persons in my household did not shut it properly. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, calbear said:

I have glass shelving, and it's great. I'm on my second upright and I am thankful that it has an alarm. I can't tell you how many times I had problems with the old one because some persons in my household did not shut it properly. 

That is a great reminder! We have never had that issue with a chest freezer, but I can see it happening easier with an upright.

If the shelves are able to slide out, then defrosting won't be a problem, but if they're built in, then defrosting might be easier with wire shelves.  If it has drawers, then the wire is sturdier than plastic.

• Like 1

I prefer wire, with a caveat. When you freeze something in a bag, make sure your bag doesn't sag through the wires. Not matter which you get, try to avoid rupture of contents, cleaning it out of a freezer, any freezer, is the pits. 

If you are tight on space around the freezer, think about making sure you can swing your door open far enough to pull out the shelves. 

• Like 1