Menu

Going to the dentist or ortho in the time of Covid?

mommyoffive

I've had two crowns since dec.   One ended up having to do the prep twice because the crown didn't fit- so all the molds had to be remade and started over.

they're masking.  they're wiping down surfaces (CDC has said isn't necessary anymore), they're already sterilizing equipment because they have to do that anyway. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the problems really require an urgent visit, then yes! I broke a tooth and had the pieces pulled out, and made a filling. After 15 years, I broke the tooth that I made in Greece when I was working. Now I had to do a covid test to make sure I didn't infect anyone. The doctor works in a mask. Everything is as it should be, and I think that before their work in quarantine, the workers also did a test for covid, there is sanitation and so on. I went to oaks cosmetic dentist thousand oaks, where it all happened. Although I am still afraid to visit private enterprises, it is unnecessary to postpone the problem because it is no less severe than covid.

Our dentist's office has taken all the precautions already mentioned, in addition to leaving each exam room empty and air filtering for an hour between patients.  No one comes in the building until their phone is texted, and staff does the temp etc check as soon as one enters the office.   We have continued our six month appointments - and an emergency filling for one son - during Covid.

My son got braces during Covid which required oral surgery to get his wisdom teeth out first.

I got regular (two cleanings) and restorative work (two fillings, one on a front tooth that was getting discolored and I therefore regarded it as a super high priority to fix!) at the dentist done.  I also had to go get a night guard made (I grind my teeth something crazy).  

My sons and husband have each been to the dentist twice for cleanings during Covid.  Plus the oral surgeon and ortho for my older son.  We live in an area where people are masking and most everyone I know who possibly can WFH is working from home.  Our adult dentist office is small, as is the ortho and the pediatric dentist office. You call from the parking lot to check in.  They meet you at the door when it’s your time to come in.  They are cleaning everything.  The only time the mask is off is when they are working on your mouth.  The dentist and hygienist are also in PPE.  There’s a mouthwash they have us use before they start working.  I have not noticed any extra charges on the bills.  

Edited by LucyStoner

On 4/8/2021 at 3:01 PM, Resilient said:

I went mid-COVID, pre-vaccine, and it was fine.  Everyone waits in their car, gets called in for their appointment.  All the staff wore the masks, goggles, shields, gowns, gloves.  I felt like they were in far more danger than I was, and I felt completely safe from them, so I guess it works both ways.  

This is what ours are doing. Our first dental appt. was cancelled by them. Then they opened back up with very good protocol, and we have been a couple of times for routine appointments. We do not see anyone besides our own family members and office personnel, who are taking it very seriously. It's probably one of the safest places we've been, actually. Now they and we are all vaccinated, so that increases the protection as well.

ETA: I forgot about the extra ventilation and mouth washes. They are doing those, too.

Edited by Jaybee