Menu

Are your local homeschool groups disproportionately anti-vax?

Syllieann

On 4/9/2021 at 7:36 AM, Halftime Hope said:

Golly, I have to raise a hand here.  The anti-science thing is a hasty generalization. There are many anti-vaxxers/vaccine hesitant people who are very much into the science, me included.  Some of my favorite vaccine hesitant, vaccine questioning people are pediatricians. In fact, it was my midwife and my pediatrician (chief of staff at a large metroplex hospital) who looked at our vaccine reaction and shook their heads, with the pediatrician saying, "We probably shouldn't do that with X again." The ped went on to a much more vaccine hesitant stance over the years, and no, you wouldn't know him. (He's not a national name.) 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this label.  In a case where vaccines aren't advised because a patient has had a bad reaction, would that pediatrician be considered anti-vax for proceeding with caution with that patient? I'd only consider them anti-vax if they were telling all of their patients that vaccines were dangerous and they shouldn't take any of them.  I doubt pediatricians like that exist.  I also wouldn't think of someone who delayed or spaced out vaccines as an anti-vaxer.  

• Like 9

I actually don't know. Remember that discussion we had where I said at co op I'd put on my noise canceling headphones and tune everyone out? Yeah my only real friend in that group was a former biologist who I know was pro vax but honestly I never had any discussion on this topic with anyone else there.  

But I'm a homeschooling, homebirthing, baby wearing, extended breastfeeding, cosleeping... etc etc who would laugh to be called crunchy. 

Edited by theelfqueen

I would definitely be surprised if the no-vaccination homeschool overlap is the same or lower percentage than other populations here. Most homeschoolers that I've come in contact with, and I ran a co-op for 6 years, are vaccine hesitant or resistant.

Funny story: My middle DD has POTS and faints often. At our last co-op, she fainted one time while I was sitting in a group of moms. I left to attend to her, and when I came back, I found that while I was absent from the group they had decided that the Gardasil vaccine was probably the reason she faints. Yep, I came back to take my seat at the table to the question, which wasn't, "How is she?", but "Has she had the HPV vaccine?".  

Two of those same people unfriended me from FB a few months ago when I posted positive news about the Covid vaccine on my page. They may have just been cleaning up their friend list and as I no longer go to co-op for covid reasons I didn't make the cut, but I noticed they were gone shortly after a pro-vaccine post, so I'm guessing it was that.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

I would definitely be surprised if the no-vaccination homeschool overlap is the same or lower percentage than other populations here. Most homeschoolers that I've come in contact with, and I ran a co-op for 6 years, are vaccine hesitant or resistant.

Funny story: My middle DD has POTS and faints often. At our last co-op, she fainted one time while I was sitting in a group of moms. I left to attend to her, and when I came back, I found that while I was absent from the group they had decided that the Gardasil vaccine was probably the reason she faints. Yep, I came back to take my seat at the table to the question, which wasn't, "How is she?", but "Has she had the HPV vaccine?".  

Two of those same people unfriended me from FB a few months ago when I posted positive news about the Covid vaccine on my page. They may have just been cleaning up their friend list and as I no longer go to co-op for covid reasons I didn't make the cut, but I noticed they were gone shortly after a pro-vaccine post, so I'm guessing it was that.

That's not such a funny story. I am very pro-vax, but I have not given my dd the Gardisil vaccine yet for that very reason. We personally know a family whose daughter got the vaccine and within hours started fainting. She faints many times a day, hundreds of times every month. Since the day she got the vaccine she has had many side effects, but apparently fainting is one of the more common ones.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but just chiming in.  I'm not currently in a co-op in CA, but in the local homeschooling forums I was in, right before the pandemic, our state cracked down on people getting fake medical exemptions for vaccines, and we saw a large influx of anit-vaxxers asking about how to homeschool.   The influx of new homeschoolers after the pandemic was largely mixed.   It included some people who did not want their kids having to wear masks at school (don't know about their vaccine beliefs, but sadly I've found anti-vaxxing and anit-masking to go hand in hand with people I know better, though not my more liberal anti-vaxxer friend).  But it also included a lot of people homeschooling because they both didn't like distance learning but didn't feel safe sending their children to school (even when schools opened up for in person learning).  So, I'm guessing a lot of those people would be pro-vax.  Still, I feel like there's more anti-vaxxers in the homeschooling community than outside of it just because often their beliefs about vaccination keep their children from attending in person schools.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:05 PM, mom2scouts said:

That's not such a funny story. I am very pro-vax, but I have not given my dd the Gardisil vaccine yet for that very reason. We personally know a family whose daughter got the vaccine and within hours started fainting. She faints many times a day, hundreds of times every month. Since the day she got the vaccine she has had many side effects, but apparently fainting is one of the more common ones.

Since this topic popped back up, this response to me hit me. 

I am sorry for your acquaintance's daughter. It's a hard situation.

Funny as in not funny story. People should not be discussing other people's medical issues and deciding the causes of said issue while said person is not in room. FWIW, DD also fainted multiple times per day for a year and a half prior to finding meds that have reduced that number. It had 0 to do with Gardasil though. But people discussing DD's medical issues and not asking at all how she was (really chapped me in that these are the "good Christian homeschool ladies", but too focused on their own biases to care about DD's wellbeing), but deciding it had to be the vaccine. If she had had the vaccine, I am 100% sure it would've been validation for every person discussing it while we were out of the room. She hadn't had the vaccine at all; she's had it now, and she doesn't faint nearly as often (due to aforementioned meds).

Edit: I re-read what I wrote here, and I don't mean to sound harsh. It's such a hard situation. But this is one of those "laugh so you don't cry" things. We left that co-op shortly after that, and those attitudes were part of it. It's hard to have a teen who has a mostly invisible, but sometimes extremely visible, disease. It's exceptionally hard when other people make assumptions about you and your teen. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 2