Menu

If you had carpenter ants how were they treated?

ksr5377

I know we have carpenter ants.  They're in our south wall.  It's probably bad as there is wood debris in the windowsills.  We should have called last year, we hesitated, then we stopped seeing them....out of sight, out of mind.  So here we are again. 

I am wondering from anyone who has dealt with this in the past how many treatments were necessary from their exterminator?  I called two and they are offering different plans at different prices so I'm trying to figure out the best option.

They swarm/mate in the spring.

We did our own treatment--I had two baits--one was protein based and the other sweet based. In different parts of their life cycle, they will eat different things. Often you will have more than one colony, so I found I needed to continue to bait longer than I expected (ie--I saw the dead colony and thought I was done...well,  was with that one). 

I successfully treated carpenter ants here 5? years ago. This spring I see a new batch, which is disappointing. So I just started treating again. Killed one set I think, but I'm going to keep treating for a while in case there are more. 

It might be easier to just do extermination. I would just ask how much experience they have. I'm super curious about the different plans you were offered? 

I have a friend who did.  first off - you have to find ALL the nests, they often have more than one.  She had a professional exterminator, and there were two nests.  One of them was on a telephone poll across the street from her house.

I also used the protein bait/sweet bait thing. Turns out they were in a sweet bait mood at the time. I put the bait out and then followed several as they carried it away so I could find the nest. Then I put a bunch of bait around that. Seemed to do the trick. One year some did some damage to a doorframe and we had that professionally treated once.