Menu

The end of homeschooling is nigh...

Dmmetler

For me, anyway. My senior takes finals next week, and then that’s it. The only things left will be paperwork. I’m expecting that the transition to college and moving in will keep me busy this summer, but I’m really worried about next year. Especially since I have had almost No contact with my local homeschooling friends during COVID, so I’m guessing I won’t be seeing them much once my teen graduates, either. 

I’m trying to increase my teaching hours next year, and just ordered some new instruments to try out (for a new program that is supposed to expand the access to band instruments the way Suzuki has done for strings, etc-the company making them has been making adapted flutes for Suzuki flute classes for years and has moved into saxophone and clarinet, which is my area of instrumental expertise)-but am feeling it is unlikely that anyone will want wind lessons for their elementary age child for some time, since COVID is around. 

As my senior gets more excited about the end in sight, I am finding myself more and more down. Maybe if we’d actually had a normal last year of homeschooling, it would have been easier?

• Like 12
  • Sad 20

I haven't gotten down yet but it's a real possibility once dd ships out. This week is the Model UN online conference (8 hours a day of zoom meetings, ugghhh) and I've got a grumpy teen so I'm not feeling the empty nest just now. She'll be done with her all her classes except French 1 by the middle of May so we'll have two weeks to do fun things before she leaves. That might be bittersweet. OTOH, once she's done with Boot Camp, she'll be able to video chat and text so we'll get an update on how the forging by the sea is going. 

• Like 5

Sending lots of hugs.  I am sure it is extra hard last year and this year.  All those end of the year milestones are gone or different.  I think no matter what it is going to be hard for me.  I get sad every time my kids have a birthday or move up a grade.  You can see the end of the road.  

• Like 2

We finished homeschooling last year shortly after the lockdown hit. We exited our coop with no fanfare or celebration, due to covid, and I had to figure out my life after homeschooling. I did love homeschooling very much. It is definitely a transition to end this stage and launch your last child. I gave myself lots of grace and time (well, covid gave me time) and started to figure out what the next stage looks like for me. Take your time and realize you're grieving some parts of your life that will never be the same. But, there's also a new part opening up. I wish you well, and I'm sorry our final years had to be during a pandemic. No one saw that coming or knew how it would impact every aspect of our lives. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

For me, anyway. My senior takes finals next week, and then that’s it. The only things left will be paperwork. I’m expecting that the transition to college and moving in will keep me busy this summer, but I’m really worried about next year. Especially since I have had almost No contact with my local homeschooling friends during COVID, so I’m guessing I won’t be seeing them much once my teen graduates, either. 

I’m trying to increase my teaching hours next year, and just ordered some new instruments to try out (for a new program that is supposed to expand the access to band instruments the way Suzuki has done for strings, etc-the company making them has been making adapted flutes for Suzuki flute classes for years and has moved into saxophone and clarinet, which is my area of instrumental expertise)-but am feeling it is unlikely that anyone will want wind lessons for their elementary age child for some time, since COVID is around. 

As my senior gets more excited about the end in sight, I am finding myself more and more down. Maybe if we’d actually had a normal last year of homeschooling, it would have been easier?

For many of us nothing makes it easier. You can be excited for them and miss them terribly in the same painful breath. A new normal will set in, in time. Many hugs.

• Like 6

When my second daughter graduated in 2016 after 15+ years of homeschooling (starting with her older sister), it was so strange. The homeschooling was such a significant part of my adult identity, especially after I left nursing.
I did end up homeschooling again. My third daughter, who had left homeschooling for 5th grade public ed, decided to return to her roots in the midst of Covid for junior year. And now it looks like senior year too 🙂 

• Like 3

It's a tough moment.  I did as you are doing and took on more paid work at that point - my children were still at home, however, as they went from home education to school, so I was probably busier.

After a while, my mood started to lift as I realised what an enormous burden of responsibility I had been carrying that I could now partially lay aside.  I really didn't notice it until it was gone.  Without it, I had space to start thinking about my own life: I took up more exercise, read more, worked towards a sustainable career, and finally embarked on university courses simply for fun.

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry this has come during such a hard time. I hope your transition is smooth and you find new meaningful relationships. 

I think the end of anything significant has its sadness, no matter what is going on in the rest of our lives. Change is never easy even if the end result is good. 

My last senior is weeks away from graduating, too. I took on more hours of teaching this year to help the transition to him not being home and the possibility of me going to work. I teach math classes online and a couple students in person. I have been involved in our local co-op, though. We meet every other week, and most of the families have limited exposure elsewhere. It helps that our local counties never had huge spikes in cases, too. I started this co-op nine years ago, so I'm really going to miss it. I'm so glad it is thriving and will continue on after I've left. 

I am considering continuing online teaching. Dh is looking for a job closer to where my dad and dd live. It's also closer to where ds will be in school. I'm excited about the possibility of being so much closer to them but will miss all my friends here. We've lived here 17 years. 

Good luck with your new normal! 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 2

I'm sad that the journey you've so graciously shared with us here is over, too! 😢 It's been so interesting to follow all the fascinating adventures your daughter and you have experienced over the years.

It would be wonderful to have a photographic reminder of all you both have done over the years to enjoy now and in the future. I wish I'd done this with my gang. There are bits here and there, but to have visuals to go back to when you are really missing her (and she's missing you) might be nice.

I'm sure this next stage of the journey will be exciting, too, just in a different way! 

• Like 2

We spent today planning and shopping (online) for our graduation gathering next month. I think it's keeping both of us busy to focus on things like lollipop bouquets featuring lollipops in shapes like legos, dinosaur fossils, cats, the globe, and ones with snake and dragon stickers on.  

• Like 3