Menu

Healthy bread suggestions needed

Amethyst

I'm looking for a healthier bread option. This would be not for sandwiches, but for toasting and maybe adding some peanut butter. I'm looking for whole grain. I've never found a whole grain bread that I like the taste of. But I know that I should eat that rather than other non-whole wheat options. I'm looking for something that is not just plain old whole wheat; I'd rather it had seeds and nuts to break up the monotony. Is there anything like that out there that you can recommend?

I’m not going to speak to slight (or more) variations in nutrition, but one of my kids and I are now hooked on the Dave’s Killer Bread stuff. I find the seed and nut one perfect for some pb and a touch of jam.  Ds is in love with the everything bagels and says they’re better than our bagel shop. (I wouldn’t go THAT far in praise, but it is a PA bagel shop, not a NY or NJ one, so there’s that.)

It’s more than I typically spend, but WM was out of other grain breads and substituted that, so now there’s no going back.

• Like 5

We eat and like Dave’s, although I’ll sometimes get the Brownberry Organic bread, too. We get the kinds with all sorts of seeds and nuts in them. However, I think the healthiest bread is probably the Ezekiel kind. It’s sprouted and contains really healthy ingredients. Unfortunately, my kids don’t like it. 😉 They prefer bigger and softer slices. It’s good toasted, though!! (I agree with them that it isn’t super great untoasted.)

Or you could make your own! We don’t do it as often as I’d like, but my family looooves homemade bread. The reason I don’t do it as often is because the kids will devour an entire loaf in minutes flat. But you can control the ingredients, and it’s easy. Takes a little time, but most of that time is inactive.

• Like 2

Ok...now I am so jealous...I've never had Dave's but everyone raves about it....it became a big thing after my son was diagnosed with Celiac so we haven't been able to buy it. (we keep a gluten free kitchen except for some premade tortillas my husband stashes on top of the fridge). 

That said, homemade whole wheat bread, or part whole wheat, is so yummy. A cheap bread machine makes it easy. Use WHITE whole wheat, not red. Makes all the difference in the flavor. That taste that you don't like is the flavor of the red wheat - which is more common. White whole wheat (called winter white) is totally different. I used the recipe for whole wheat bread machine bread from King Arthur flour - that's the best one. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

Does your store have fresh-baked bread?  I find local options much better than packaged/shelved whole wheat and seeded breads.  The taste is much fresher, richer, and more complex.  We find much of the mass marketed bread tastes like eating dry cardboard with some seeds thrown on.  

• Like 1

I have seen both Dave's and Ezekiel but so far have not have the nerve to try either. I guess I'll have to buy them both and see which I prefer. Is Ezekiel's gluten-free? If it is, I think I'll skip that. To me, gluten defines bread. Without gluten, is it even bread?? (I have no digestive issues. I understand why some people might be forced to go gluten-free)

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

Does your store have fresh-baked bread?  I find local options much better than packaged/shelved whole wheat and seeded breads.  The taste is much fresher, richer, and more complex.  We find much of the mass marketed bread tastes like eating dry cardboard with some seeds thrown on.  

Yes, it does. That's a good suggestion. I'll give that a try too.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

That said, homemade whole wheat bread, or part whole wheat, is so yummy. A cheap bread machine makes it easy. Use WHITE whole wheat, not red. Makes all the difference in the flavor. That taste that you don't like is the flavor of the red wheat - which is more common. White whole wheat (called winter white) is totally different. I used the recipe for whole wheat bread machine bread from King Arthur flour - that's the best one. 

I do make homemade bread from time to time. But I feel like homemade bread is best when eaten within a day. I've never tried freezing it which I guess is what I would have to do. I'm only looking to eat one slice at a time, and it would be only me eating it since the kids are mostly gone now and I doubt dh would eat it. Maybe I could give it a try though. I was not aware of the different types of whole wheat flour, thanks for the tip.

I bought a loaf of Dave's Killer White Bread last week, after it was highly recommended in another thread. And yes, it is very good! But I can't eat it. It has multiple ingredients that aren't low FODMAP and that I can't tolerate. But even though I can't tolerate it I highly recommend it to those who can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

I have seen both Dave's and Ezekiel but so far have not have the nerve to try either. I guess I'll have to buy them both and see which I prefer. Is Ezekiel's gluten-free? If it is, I think I'll skip that. To me, gluten defines bread. Without gluten, is it even bread?? (I have no digestive issues. I understand why some people might be forced to go gluten-free)

Not gluten free, but it is flourless. It uses a variety of sprouted seeds and grains. Like I said...not great plain. Pretty good toasted and with a healthy dose of butter/PB/jam, etc. 😉

you can freeze homemade bread! Agreed it lasts better that way. 

and yes, the white whole wheat flour is yummier than standard...basically 5astes like white bread. Sourdough is another delicious option that is healthier than regular bread, though doubtful that packaged sourdough bread actually contains the beneficial sourdough starter, unlike homemade bread. 

6 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m not going to speak to slight (or more) variations in nutrition, but one of my kids and I are now hooked on the Dave’s Killer Bread stuff. I find the seed and nut one perfect for some pb and a touch of jam.  Ds is in love with the everything bagels and says they’re better than our bagel shop. (I wouldn’t go THAT far in praise, but it is a PA bagel shop, not a NY or NJ one, so there’s that.)

It’s more than I typically spend, but WM was out of other grain breads and substituted that, so now there’s no going back.

We really like the Dave's Killer Bread. Probably the Good Seed is our favorite followed by the 21 Whole Grain flavor.  Their bagels are good too - but we've only tried the Blooming Blueberry. 

It is pricey, but when I find it on sale, I buy an extra few loaves and stick in the freezer. You can't tell (or I can't) that it has been frozen. It runs about $5.49/loaf, but I've found it on sale (and one store when it has it but it sells out quickly) for $3.99. 

• Like 2

While I love Dave's Killer bread too, since you are looking for something specifically to toast and spread, you might give this some consideration:

https://www.leftyspoon.com/2015/04/17/sarah-brittons-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

I've made it before and I like it quite a bit.  It is VERY dense, so you slice it thin and toast it.  It would be very nice spread with peanut butter or jam or whatever strikes your fancy. 

ETA: you probably wanted a commercial option, so the recipe may not appeal, but it was easy to make as I remember it. 

Edited by Kebo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok...now I am so jealous...I've never had Dave's but everyone raves about it....it became a big thing after my son was diagnosed with Celiac so we haven't been able to buy it. (we keep a gluten free kitchen except for some premade tortillas my husband stashes on top of the fridge). 

Now my favorite is half white and half red wheat!  Tastes kind of blah without the red.  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kebo said:

While I love Dave's Killer bread too, since you are looking for something specifically to toast and spread, you might give this some consideration:

https://www.leftyspoon.com/2015/04/17/sarah-brittons-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

I've made it before and I like it quite a bit.  It is VERY dense, so you slice it thin and toast it.  It would be very nice spread with peanut butter or jam or whatever strikes your fancy. 

ETA: you probably wanted a commercial option, so the recipe may not appeal, but it was easy to make as I remember it. 

I tried making that and it did NOT come out right. At all, lol. Might be me, but I followed the directions well, I thought. 

12 hours ago, Tina said:

Ezekiel bread is made from sprouted grains and can be found in the freezer.

Seconding this. My husband often has this variety (orange wrapper) for breakfast toasted with cream cheese and jam. We started buying it after being diagnosed with high blood pressure as it is relatively low in sodium compared to many other brands.

We buy it at Trader Joe's where it is kept on the shelf. I have seen it in other stores in their freezer sections. 

Regards,

Kareni