Menu

What dog shampoo do you love?

Bensmom

I am looking for recommendations for doggie shampoo. We have an Australian Shepherd so a great conditioning product for long haired pooches would be ideal. He doesn’t have any allergies or skin conditions.  Also, how often do you bathe your dog?  Are there different bathing recommendations by breed?  We previously had outdoor only dogs who were not bathed often, but this fellow is our couch potato and I like to keep him smelling clean😉

We use baby shampoo, too.  We tried dog shampoos and none of them left the dog smelling good for as long as baby shampoo.  We have to bathe one of ours every two weeks if we don’t want her to get stinky, the other can go months without needing a bath.  Pics just because.    

C8706D69-F949-4C20-9321-496EF02CAB46.jpeg

2644B234-1045-46AA-9049-5CD4DA7655A2.jpeg

• Like 8

I use Pantene 2-n-1 on my dogs. Either the smooth or moisturizing variety--whichever I happen to pick up. I use baby shampoo around their eyes and faces. Pantene or Dove are what most of the show people with long coated dogs I know swear by and use on their own dogs. Various studies have shown that there is little to no difference in the pH of human shampoos versus dog shampoos, and therefore no need to use a product specifically made for pooches. As far as products specifically meant for dogs, I like Spectrum Ten and the other Chris Christensen products available from Cherrybrook (Amazon may have them; I don't know for sure). Anything that Cherrybrook sells will be good. For easier to find products Earthbath and Oster are pretty good. Most chain pet stores will have one or both of those, and the Walmarts around me usually have one or two Oster products.

I refuse to use any product on my dogs that smells very strong. IMO it's incredibly cruel, given how sensitive dogs' noses are. I don't want anything that lingers, either. So obviously my criteria is different than many, so take my recommendations with that in mind. To me smelling "clean" does NOT equate with smelling like perfume or any other artificial odor. I want . . . neutral.

If you need extra conditioning I'm a huge fan of Ice on Ice. It's fabulous at de-tangling and cutting down on static electricity. A bottle lasts literally forever. Be careful if using it on hard flooring. Any residue will make flooring very slippery! And it fits my own criteria of being low odor (so again--for anyone who wants more perfume I'd advise looking for a different product).

Mine are bathed every 10-12 days. I shoot for 10, but sometimes it's closer to 12. More often if needed. As long as you use a mild shampoo, lukewarm water and rinse thoroughly--and as long as your dog's skin is reasonably healthy--then you can bathe as often as you like. Every day is fine. The notion that dogs shouldn't be bathed until absolutely necessary arose decades ago when dog shampoos (and many human ones) were all harsh and drying. We've come a long way since then.

Edited by Pawz4me
update a recommendation
  • Like 2

HyLyt! I've had multiple vets comment on the softness and beauty of my dog's coat. It's very gentle and doesn't lead to over-drying, even though I bathe my dog weekly or every two weeks.

I wash her paws with baby shampoo after every time she goes out. We take off our shoes in the house; figure it's about the same thing! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MercyA said:

HyLyt! I've had multiple vets comment on the softness and beauty of my dog's coat. It's very gentle and doesn't lead to over-drying, even though I bathe my dog weekly or every two weeks.

I've meant to try that since I first saw you recommend it. I'm pretty sure I even put it on my Amazon wish list. Now I just need to remember to order it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I've meant to try that since I first saw you recommend it. I'm pretty sure I even put it on my Amazon wish list. Now I just need to remember to order it!

That's too funny, because I'm planning on picking up some Pantene 2-in-1 to try! My dog's hair is much longer than I usually keep it due to the pandemic, and I think a built-in conditioner would help! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MercyA said:

I wash her paws with baby shampoo after every time she goes out. We take off our shoes in the house; figure it's about the same thing! 

Ok, now I am curious. How do you wash her paws every time she come inside?  Is it a little paw-washing station with soap and rinse containers or are you wiping them with a soapy cloth? How do you get them rinsed?  

I am thinking this would take some extra effort, but probably less effort than mopping up dirty paw prints on the floor and trying to clean my sofa🤨

23 hours ago, MercyA said:

Oh wow, blast from the past! We used that a lot in house when I was a kennel tech a zillion years ago!  Love that shampoo! Smells lightly of coconut but no strong smell and very mild. 

• Like 1

My favorite is Bark2Basics Oatmeal. I've had tons of people comment on how soft my dogs are when I use it, and the smell isn't overwhelming. My dog with skin allergies does really well with it as well, although it is of course not a medicated product. I first used it at a DIY dog bathing station at Tractor Supply and LOVED it and when they stopped using it I tracked it down and ordered it by the gallon, lol. And I've used a LOT of shampoos. 

Oh, and it can and should be diluted...I keep a pitcher handy and put some shampoo in there, fill the pitcher up partway with water, swish it around, then pour that over the dog. Easier to spread around on the dog rather than getting "clumps" of shampoo in some areas and not enough in others. And it rinses easily. 

Edited by ktgrok

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Oh wow, blast from the past! We used that a lot in house when I was a kennel tech a zillion years ago!  Love that shampoo! Smells lightly of coconut but no strong smell and very mild. 

Sadly it has been reformulated since back in the day and the new scent is not quite as good...but you really only smell it when washing. There is very little if any lingering scent. Still the best shampoo I've found!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bensmom said:

Ok, now I am curious. How do you wash her paws every time she come inside?  Is it a little paw-washing station with soap and rinse containers or are you wiping them with a soapy cloth? How do you get them rinsed?  

I am thinking this would take some extra effort, but probably less effort than mopping up dirty paw prints on the floor and trying to clean my sofa🤨

We have a utility sink in the laundry room, right by the back door. We come in and she gets plopped straight in the sink. 🙂 The sink has a sprayer, so it's easy-peasy to wet her paws, soap them up, rinse them, and dry with a towel. She usually gets a quick wipe down with a damp washcloth, too. 

I wouldn't have it any other way! She's clean and our carpets and floors stay clean! Also, she has mild seasonal allergies and it helps her with those, too. 

I have seen paw-washing "cups" for sale as well, but I can't vouch for them: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=paw+washing&ref=nb_sb_noss

Can I say that knowing the pH really isn't different is mind blowing? I always felt guilty when I used people shampoo! Now I won't worry if that happens, and will feel good using tearless kid shampoo on the face. 

As for frequency, ideally I'd bathe them weekly - they roll in dirt/pollen/etc a lot but ugh....bathing 3 dogs, all 70lbs plus, two with long fur,  is such a freaking chore that it is more like monthly right now. Only short coated dogs from now on! The hound is SO much easier and faster!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 9:37 AM, Pawz4me said:

@Pawz4me, wait!!! I tried the Pantene 2-in-1 and it is superior to HyLyt! My dog's hair is silkier and easier to comb with the Pantene. I hope you didn't order the HyLyt yet. 

HyLyt is very good for sensitive skin and frequent washing, because it's soap free, and it leaves no scent. But I'm still going with Pantene from now on. Thank you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

@Pawz4me, wait!!! I tried the Pantene 2-in-1 and it is superior to HyLyt! My dog's hair is silkier and easier to comb with the Pantene. I hope you didn't order the HyLyt yet. 

HyLyt is very good for sensitive skin and frequent washing, because it's soap free, and it leaves no scent. But I'm still going with Pantene from now on. Thank you! 

Yay! I'm so glad it worked for your dog!

I haven't ordered the HyLyt yet. Not-Avatar-Dog has developed a tiny bit of allergy related seborrhea/flakiness that I want to nip in the bud, so I just ordered this to see if it will help. I figured with all those good reviews it was worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Yay! I'm so glad it worked for your dog!

I haven't ordered the HyLyt yet. Not-Avatar-Dog has developed a tiny bit of allergy related seborrhea/flakiness that I want to nip in the bud, so I just ordered this to see if it will help. I figured with all those good reviews it was worth a try.

Coal tar is good stuff! 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 7:49 AM, StillJessica said:

We use baby shampoo, too.  We tried dog shampoos and none of them left the dog smelling good for as long as baby shampoo.  We have to bathe one of ours every two weeks if we don’t want her to get stinky, the other can go months without needing a bath.  Pics just because.    

C8706D69-F949-4C20-9321-496EF02CAB46.jpeg

2644B234-1045-46AA-9049-5CD4DA7655A2.jpeg

So which is the stinky one?

9 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So which is the stinky one?

Zelda!  She’s a beagle bulldog mix.  Annie is the Boston Terrier and I’m pretty sure I could never bathe her and she wouldn’t stink. She usually ends up with a bath because of muddy feet.  

31 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

Zelda!  She’s a beagle bulldog mix.  Annie is the Boston Terrier and I’m pretty sure I could never bathe her and she wouldn’t stink. She usually ends up with a bath because of muddy feet.  

Hounds! They are just stinky dogs. At least they have short hair that is easy to bathe. Out of my 3, the hound mix is the one that gets an odor the fastest, but if I'm bathing him I feel I should do the others and between the arthritic, brain damaged border collie with an undercoat that resembles lambs wool and the big wolfadogadoodle with long, wiry hair that refuses to stay wet it's such an ordeal I let the hound go longer than I should. 

• Like 1