Menu

windows- cellular shades and curtains?

Tina

We have two big windows in the corner of our bedroom, and we just installed cellular window shades.  Thinking I should have some kind of curtain.  Thinking about this type of sheer.  Yes?  No?  Something else?

IMG_0579.jpg

Edited by Tina

4 minutes ago, Harpymom said:

No advice, but thank you for posting this picture - I've just been researching cellular blinds and these look great.

These were ordered at the Menards store.  Dh had no problem putting them up!  They were 25% off on sale.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never seen cellular blinds with curtains.

I think these curtains would be pretty — especially when you have the blinds raised 🙂

Edit:  I looked back at the picture — I think the curtains would add in a good way.

I think I have seen cellular blinds more on a more unobtrusive window.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I have cellular shades in a bay window (2 sides with one large picture window).

I have valances across the top and floor length panels on each end. They are sheer with some light embroidery on them. They wash easily and I hang them up wet. They are purely for decoration. 

• Like 2

We have similar windows and cellular shades.  We started with valences, but switched to full-length grommet curtains to help block more light while we sleep; they add a polished look to the room, as well.  I think the type of valence you linked might look a little too airy with the darker shades and wall color.  It's your room, though; pick something you love!

• Like 2

We have cellular blinds on all the upstairs windows (bedrooms and bathrooms).  For some of them, I put up valences just to sort of soften the room / match the furniture; and others I just left alone.  Privacy-wise they do fine on their own, and I think they look "finished" as they are.

The one drawback about them is that they're not very good insulation, so for one bedroom that's over the garage and because of how the roofline slopes doesn't have attic space above it either, which was therefore by far the coldest room in the house, I did this whole double-insulated carpet pad thing for the floor and felt-lined drapery thing for the windows, so my son could fully close the curtains in addition to the blinds on cold nights.

But for regular circumstances they're awesome on their own.  Nothing more is needed; and just a bit of fabric is fine to pull other parts of the room together.

• Like 1

I agree. If you have to hang curtains, hang full length curtains, and push the rods to the ceiling as in the photo above. The above picture also has them hanging wider....the edge of the curtain is at the outer edge of the frame. The way they are hung makes this area seem less cramped. 

That said, I still prefer the minimal shades only look. It's actually a trending look right now---bare windows or shades only.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I also like the look of just shades. Very clean. 

My mom has a valance over her cellular blinds. 

If you like the sheers, I'd go with something in this set up:

IMG_7821.thumb.PNG.a1c6fe1627034e148c5fc93134b850c1.PNG

I love this.  I like it better than shades only but I like shades only better than just the scarf.

• Like 1