Menu

oven isn't working and I have a pan of cookie dough. Ideas?

cintinative

It's my Tuesday routine to make chocolate chip bar cookies and today the oven heating coil decided to retire.  Other than eating the cookie dough raw, do I have any stovetop or microwave options?  It's gluten free dough--it might freeze? 

My dinner plans also involved the oven, so I have to rework them.  We used the oven every day until today, so I had no idea it was busted.

Just now, MEmama said:

Do you have an air fryer? 

No. Sorry. I have an instapot, a crockpot, a belgian waffle maker (the waffle maker would be very food networky but I am a bit scared of doing that--I would think it would not go well since the dough is so thick) 

6 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Do you have a toaster oven? My oven died at the beginning of the pandemic and I have baked everything in my toaster oven.

That was why we bought the ninja foodi deluxe. We were not sure whether the oven will kaput first or the instant pot. In the end the instant pot died. We do toast bread and bake in the ninja foodi deluxe. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Do you have neighbors? Go outside, wait to see if a neighbor is in their yard, say "I know this is weird, but my oven died - can I borrow yours and share half these cookies with you?"

I thought about this but unfortunately I might have spread some germs into the dough. =(  

31 minutes ago, cintinative said:

No. Sorry. I have an instapot, a crockpot, a belgian waffle maker (the waffle maker would be very food networky but I am a bit scared of doing that--I would think it would not go well since the dough is so thick) 

Can you put premade cookie dough in a waffle maker?
Although your oven will still have its place for making large batches of cookies, using your waffle iron can bake up a cookie in just 90 seconds. It's the perfect solution for previously prepared dough when you just need a quick sugar fix instead of an entire pan hanging around the house to tempt you.Nov 6, 2009

Make Cookies in 90 Seconds with Your Waffle Iron - Lifehacker

I wonder since your dough is thick, can you thin it a bit? 

Also now I’m craving cookies, and waffles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MEmama said:
Although your oven will still have its place for making large batches of cookies, using your waffle iron can bake up a cookie in just 90 seconds. It's the perfect solution for previously prepared dough when you just need a quick sugar fix instead of an entire pan hanging around the house to tempt you.Nov 6, 2009

Make Cookies in 90 Seconds with Your Waffle Iron - Lifehacker

This recipe looks delicious!  https://www.marthastewart.com/353566/chocolate-waffle-cookies?autonomy_kw=cookies waffle iron

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Personally, the entire pan never hangs around to tempt me for long.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I gotta say that I just love how many people here know important life skills such as emergency alternative ways of making cookies.  😎

Cookies are comfort food and feels even more “essential” during power and/or gas outages 🙂

• Like 3

So . . . update.

As I suspected, the waffle maker method is above my skill level. The result was a catastrophic loss of cookie integrity and crumbs in every part of the waffle iron.  

I am going to put the dough back in the fridge for now, but I might freeze it. 

My energy level is super low today or I would try some other methods.  Hopefully we will have a new oven heating element by tomorrow night.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

So . . . update.

As I suspected, the waffle maker method is above my skill level. The result was a catastrophic loss of cookie integrity and crumbs in every part of the waffle iron.  

I am going to put the dough back in the fridge for now, but I might freeze it. 

My energy level is super low today or I would try some other methods.  Hopefully we will have a new oven heating element by tomorrow night.

I’m sorry for your loss! 😞 

Sending positive cookie making energy for you tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Sorry - raw cookie was my favorite, absolute favorite treat ever (dairy and gluten/rice free now so not happening but if I know the world is coming to an end - raw chocolate cookie dough is part of my end days plan) so I say eat it and if you don't mind clink your spoons (as if you were toasting) in my honor!

• Like 1