Menu

Dd is signed up for CLRC, Russian 1, but a conflict has popped into the schedule. Are there any other options? We know about Julia Denne and Inga Gurevich. Are there other class options? She doesn't want to 1 on 1 instruction.

I saw the University of Toronto continuing ed course, but we cannot do Monday nights.

ETA- The Potter's School course overlaps one of the her DE courses on one day by 5-10 minutes, so I don't think that would work either. Who starts a class at 9:45am?

Thanks!

Edited by MamaSprout

Posted (edited)

Okay... talking to myself here. It does look like Tu-Th might work for Potter's school Russian. Can anyone share a review? PM is fine. I've heard really mixed reviews on TPS in general, but only one good review for the Russian class. @BookwormTo2?

Thanks!

ETA... now I'm wondering if she should maybe take CLRC's second level course.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Okay... talking to myself here. It does look like Tu-Th might work for Potter's school Russian. Can anyone share a review? PM is fine. I've heard really mixed reviews on TPS in general, but only one good review for the Russian class. @BookwormTo2?

Thanks!

ETA... now I'm wondering if she should maybe take CLRC's second level course.

I have no experience with any of these, but I keep seeing this post... is there anything I can help evaluate as a native Russian speaker? 

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I have no experience with any of these, but I keep seeing this post... is there anything I can help evaluate as a native Russian speaker? 

Thanks- it's nice of you to ask!

Dd had a really great experience with a group of students through the NSLI-Y program and wants to continue to learn with a group. We're just having a hard time finding a class that fits her schedule. I might try to put her into a second year class, though now that I looked at what CLRC's first year class covers. I ordered the book that they use for both years 1 & 2 and might have her fill the gaps between finishing French this summer and starting class in the fall.

With Covid vaccinations becoming more common, I might approach a local Russian grandma to see if she can help dd if she gets stuck.

• Like 1

https://pe.gatech.edu/courses/online-russian-elementary-russian-i ?

https://modlangs.gatech.edu/online-courses/enrollment

High School Students

Aspiring high school students may also enroll through Georgia Tech Professional Education with instructor's permission if spaces are available. On the professional education homepage, browse for "foreign languages” to find available courses. High school students cannot earn academic credit from Georgia Tech through this program. However, if you successfully complete the course, the professional education office can send a letter stating your grade for the course (not an official transcript) to your high school upon request.  For the course schedule and cost of the program, please see Frequently Asked Questions page. 

By the Onion Sea only offers one on one instruction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stripe said:

By the Onion Sea only offers one on one instruction.

I emailed Inga, and she just got back to me a little bit ago. She will do a small group if I put it together. I might have dd reach out to her NSLI-Y friends to see if anyone wants to join her.

• Like 1

My DD did Russian 1 & 2 via TPS and absolutely loved it. Mrs. Pledger is a great teacher and made customized Quizlets for the Russian vocab etc. From what my DD told me, as long as you put in the work you'll do well. In Russian 1 they spent a while learning the alphabet and the sounds. DD finished Russian 2 in 2020, and at that time they used the same textbook for Russian 1 & 2. She also got mid to high A averages for Russian 1 & 2. She loved the language and was much more dedicated than most learning a foreign language (comparing her to me in high school learning a foreign language). But that said, I think there were maybe 3 students in Russian 1 that chose not to go on to Russian 2, and I think it was because they weren't studying the right way for them. I can't recall if your DD has already learned a different foreign language, but if she has, even a little, that will likely give her a leg up with Russian. Knowing how to study for a foreign language is half the battle. HTH!

Edited by BookwormTo2
added more details
  • Like 1

Another reason I loved the TPS Russian class is that there were so many things that were graded during the semesters. That meant if you didn't do as well on a homework, audio recording or quiz etc. it wasn't the end of the world if you really wanted an A in the class. A few universities that DD applied to wanted her grade report for Russian 1 & 2 mid-year her senior year. I printed it out back and front because it was something like 14 pages back and front. And no, there wasn't busy work. Everything assigned had the goal of helping the student learn/retain the Russian being taught in class.

• Like 1

I'm glad you are thrilled with the class, but a grade report is simply their grade.  You didn't need to submit anything other than the grade reported for Russian 1 and her grade as of whenever the deadline was for Russian 2. 

@MamaSprout Do any of those providers participate in regional olympiadas?  Or the Russian essay contest? https://www.actr.org/olympiada-of-spoken-russian.html I would try to find a provider familiar with these programs.  Once they reach a certain level (I can't remember off the top of my head), their essays are sent to Moscow and graded there (prior to that they are graded by Russian teachers here.)  Dd was able to earn multiple gold level awards, was a Russian Scholar Laureate, etc.   I know you said you don't want 1-on-1 and I don't think that Julia is even taking on new students right now, but the teacher you named is who Julia is referring people to right now, so I suspect that she might be involved in the ACTRL.   

• Like 2

My pt is that a grade report is not a 14 page list of all grades assigned in a course.  If you feel like it helped your dd in admissions, great, but grade books are not what admissions offices mean by grade report or mid-yr report.  Those terms have a defined meaning and they are final/mid-term grades. Course descriptions provide how courses are taught, materials used, and how grades are assessed.  That is what most Us want to see and is sufficient for understanding a course's content. Being able to print out pages of graded assignments is not how I would go about assessing the quality of the course. 

1 hour ago, BookwormTo2 said:

And for UF, I actually had to as they have a different way homeschool applicants are handled; you can take a look at their site. It says foreign language classes in high school must be regionally accredited. The alternative is a 63 or higher on a CLEP foreign language test or a high enough AP foreign language score, now that there are no SAT Subject tests.

Wow. I just wouldn’t apply anywhere like that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stripe said:

Wow. I just wouldn’t apply anywhere like that. 

Stripe, you can talk to admissions offices.  They are people.  There is no such thing as a CLEP or an AP exam for Russian.   My dd, for example, had multiple high level awards in Russian..  I have absolutely zero qualms that in having a conversation with them that they would accept her course as being more than sufficient for their admissions criteria.  Admissions criteria are for meeting the generic norm.  They can't address the outside of the norm on their website.  It doesn't mean that the outside of the norm is automatically dismissed.   If a formula ends up being the only criteria that meets their admissions standards, then I would dismiss the school.  But, not based simply on their website.

I have had a child who applied to a school that we didn't realize required a GED for homeschool applicants.  I contacted them after I realized it to tell them she wouldn't be taking it and to please withdraw her application.   They reviewed her application and told her that they were waiving the requirement.  She ended up being invited for their top competitive scholarship.   Not all homeschools are equal.  Sometimes listed criteria are simply there to act as a simple filter.

• Like 4

Yes, I did notice they say about the Student Self-Reported Academic Record, which is a self-generated transcript substitute:

Do home-educated students complete a SSAR?

Yes, if you have followed an educational curriculum patterned after the traditional U.S. system. If the curriculum followed cannot be represented on the SSAR, call the Office of Admissions at 352-392-1365 or contact us via our Contact Us page for further instruction.

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if what I wrote was misunderstood, but there was no issue w/ my dd filling out the SSAR. Further, I did contact an admissions officer (at a few diff. colleges) w/ questions a few years before she applied and it was quite helpful. DD applied to 6 competitive universities and got into them all. I was just trying to make the point that I followed my gut after doing research, and that is, for some things I gave more information than was demanded.  Was it worth it? Yes, dd is attending a top 10 public university and we are only having to pay for housing (100% free tuition). 

• Like 1

It does look like the Russian 2 class is real possibility for her between what she already knows and the review Mrs. Turscak has planned. They are switching from the Russian Face to Face book to the Beginner's Russian, so there will be a natural amount of filling in the gaps. Dd is excited and I am pleased with our interactions with CLRC so far.

• Like 2