Menu

well..that was gross

ktgrok

Came home from dropping my lawn mower off to be fixed and DH says, "I have something to show you."

He'd gone to refill the dog's big water bowl thing (has a big bottle on it so it lasts a few days between refills...we have 5 pets and regular water bowl kept running dry). He found TADPOLES in it! 

He had no idea what it was (was panicking it was heart worms or some other dog parasite, bless him) but it was some kind of tadpole. Our best guess (and after some research) is that the goldendoodle mix with the furry beard must have gotten frog eggs in her beard fur when she went swimming in a pond on Friday. I washed off her body before putting her in the car to bring her home, but didn't wash her face. Just didn't think of it, and her face wasn't all muddy like her legs and belly. So then she came home, drank out of the bowl that had just been refilled, got frog eggs into the bowl, and today they hatched! ICK!

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

5 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Either that or you have a frog in your house somewhere....

That was my first thought, but I have a hard time believing it could hide out from all the animals. Any of them would make a fuss at a live frog in th house. 

My guess is an opportunistic Cuban tree frog. They're common where you are and will breed in any size of water container, and since they're tree frogs, can stay out of the way and be largely invisible. There are a few other species of small tree frog in central FL as well, but Cubans are the most likely. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

My guess is an opportunistic Cuban tree frog. They're common where you are and will breed in any size of water container, and since they're tree frogs, can stay out of the way and be largely invisible. There are a few other species of small tree frog in central FL as well, but Cubans are the most likely. 

yeah, we've had them in the yard before, but they are LOUD in my experience. But maybe they can be quiet if they need to be? We've had their eggs in the pool before as well, but they were pretty obvious. Of course, not sure I was looking in the dog bowl at all, lol. 

Ugh, I'm spring cleaning this week and now I'm going to be afraid a frog is going to jump out at me the whole time as I move things around!!! 

(not afraid of frogs, but I hate being startled. The time I was working at a summer camp and one jumped out of the toilet paper roll onto me as I was getting some to wipe was traumatic, lol)

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Cats would love them.

lol..good point, can't have been swimming in their long or the one cat would have been fishing, lol. 

They really were TINY. At first I thought they were some kind of bug larvae, like mosquito larvae, which would make sense, but they were not shaped like that (in Florida I've seen my share of mosquito larvae!), they were shaped like and moved like tadpoles. Black (or looked black in the grey bowl) and bigger head area, thinner tail, swimming not just squirming like larvae do. 

Some sort of pond creature for sure, lol. That dog park pond we only go to a few times a year, if that, because it really is gross, lol. Normally the dogs get hosed down at the park, then a full bath at home but it was cold out and I slacked. Thinking of shaving her face now, lol. 

54 minutes ago, MercyA said:

But what did you do with them??? 🙂 

This is the part I was waiting for. They're now happily swimming in a nice aquarium/pond/semi-permanent puddle outside, right...?

(Just tell me yes. Veteran tadpole rescuer here. 😉)

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2

I am not sure I understand. What was gross? 

Tadpoles are beautiful animals. Here frogs are in a massive decline, we have built a series of ponds just for tadpoles. Preservation of  this species is essential. 

Maybe you mean the dog was gross? I agree having dogs inside is very discusting. Much better having tadpoles inside. Way cleaner and very interesting to observe. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Melissa in Australia said:

Tadpoles are beautiful animals. Here frogs are in a massive decline, we have built a series of ponds just for tadpoles. Preservation of  this species is essential. 

Maybe you mean the dog was gross? I agree having dogs inside is very discusting. Much better having tadpoles inside. Way cleaner and very interesting to observe. 

I’m sure she was expecting some sort of maggots or parasitic worms.

14 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Maybe you mean the dog was gross? I agree having dogs inside is very disgusting. Much better having tadpoles inside. Way cleaner and very interesting to observe. 

Okay, Melissa, those are fighting words. 😉 

IMHO, dogs are cleaner, less germy, and less generally disgusting than toddlers. 🙂

p.s. Totally agree that tadpoles are very nice, however! 🐸

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Okay, Melissa, those are fighting words. 😉 

IMHO, dogs are cleaner, less germy, and less generally disgusting than toddlers. 🙂

p.s. Totally agree that tadpoles are very nice, however! 🐸

Not farm dogs!  And in my experience most dogs turn into farm dogs when they visit farms.  I truly have never seen a toddler retrieve the kind of things my dog does.  The smellier the better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not farm dogs!  And in my experience most dogs turn into farm dogs when they visit farms.  I truly have never seen a toddler retrieve the kind of things my dog does.  The smellier the better!

Or they, ummm, roll in the smelliest things they can find.  We had a dog that rolled in everything, absolutely everything, and when we visited my parents’ farm, man, that was the cleanest dog ever!  Sooo many baths!  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MercyA said:

But what did you do with them??? 🙂 

Well....I cleaned the bowl in the sink....so they went to the frog pond down the drain?

3 hours ago, Innisfree said:

This is the part I was waiting for. They're now happily swimming in a nice aquarium/pond/semi-permanent puddle outside, right...?

(Just tell me yes. Veteran tadpole rescuer here. 😉)

If it helps they were likely an invasive species we are supposed to kill on sight because they have taken over almost all the native from habitat?

I mean, yeah....nice pond outside.... 🙂

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Well, dog with pond creatures in her beard, for starters. And seeing things swimming in water meant for drinking...ew. Very likely my dogs drank tadpoles...yuck. 

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Well....I cleaned the bowl in the sink....so they went to the frog pond down the drain?

If it helps they were likely an invasive species we are supposed to kill on sight because they have taken over almost all the native from habitat?

Well, dog with pond creatures in her beard, for starters. And seeing things swimming in water meant for drinking...ew. Very likely my dogs drank tadpoles...yuck. 

I would think dog dri ki g tadpoles with water in a pond within the range of normal dog behaviour 

• Like 1

Just now, Melissa in Australia said:

I would think dog dri ki g tadpoles with water in a pond within the range of normal dog behaviour 

What's weird is her drinking them in the pond doesn't seem as gross as her drinking them out of the water bowl. 

Kind of like how I can acknowledge that a mouse or rat is cute if I see it outside (we don't have those big norway rats, the ones here are kind of cute), but if it is IN my house it is icky and gross. Context I guess, lol?

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Considering that my dogs eat calf poo all the freaking time...tadpoles are not that gross to me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Growing up we went to a friends house where they had a rain water tank for drinking water.  You had to check the water for wrigglers (mosquito larvae) before drinking.  I did find that gross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

likely an invasive species we are supposed to kill on sight because they have taken over almost all the native from habitat?

Yeah, this part definitely counts. 

We have plenty of invasive species here, but so far it gets too cold for tropical frogs or toads to survive. That does make a difference in one's attitude, I'm sure.