Menu

DD was admitted to the local Catholic school for the next school year (6th grade). I'm sad about it. HSing has been challenging but I've enjoyed it. If the choice had been mine only, we would have kept homeschooling but this was DD's decision. 

DD is very excited about getting to see her friends in school every day. I anticipate girl drama next year. 

I know there will be things that I won't like about school but I think DD is now old enough to take the good with the bad. This was her decision and I think she made a mature decision. 

I think we would have continued homeschooling if the social situation had been better. Some of this is due to COVID but I think that it is very hard to break into HSing social circles without a church connection. 

I think it will be good for DD to spend more time with kids her age instead of at home with me. 

I think it will also be good to move from a mother-teacher/child relationship to just a mother/child relationship again. 

If you stopped homeschooling, how did it work out for you and your DC? Did they miss homeschooling? 

• Like 1

I hope it's a great experience for her and I understand why you're sad that this part of your life if over (at least for now).

My dd did enroll in ps during high school, but she never attended classes there - we did it for the funding for full time DE enrollment. 

Good luck to your dd!  

• Like 1

I hope it goes well for you and for her.  We just registered our youngest for Catholic school next year as well (3rd grade), and I'm feeling sad about it too.  It is a mediocre school on all accounts, but we are hopeful that everyone in the family will have a better quality of life.  (Hugs)

• Like 1

I was in your place a couple years ago, and then covid came and I went back to homeschooling my son.   But he will be going back again next year (7th grade).

I had such intense mixed feelings about it.  Worry over how he would do, not knowing what I would do once I stopped homeschooling.   Even sadness over leaving the homeschool community (we had moved recently so I hadn't had a chance to really build a support system, and I was hoping to do that through homeschooling groups).  

It went much better than expected--most of my fears weren't realized (one fear that was was that he would start fighting me about doing educational stuff after school. )

But I'm really glad I did it, even though a year and a half later we were back homeschooling due to covid.  (Really glad we homeschooled too...it was both the right choices for the right times.)

Anyways, I started up a club on here for former homeschoolers...it's pretty dead, but eventually I'm gonna start up a facebook group and share it there, so it might be worth joining just to see when I do that.  

• Like 1

Yes, my Ds is now in a tiny private middle school. He and I just could not find a good way forward together on the homeschooling path. His desire for independence is fierce and he is massively extroverted. 

So he went  to school beginning January 2020. It was the right choice. It definitely has downsides and sometimes I am sad. But he is growing and learning and happy in school. 

I still have a homeschooler for  another two years, but she will be 100% outsourced and is spreading her wings even now.

• Like 1

We stopped homeschooling at dh's insistence.  The children and I were sad.  

Oldest was given the choice of schools, he chose a STEM charter school.  Son was apprehensive about attending.  He loved it from day one.  Son said his school courses were easier than his previous homeschooled classes.  At the parent-teacher conference teachers told us that he had been well-prepared and that if we had not told them he had been homeschooled, they would not have known.    

Youngest was placed in public school 6th grade by default.  The school was a poor fit and he was miserable.  He said the coursework was two to three years behind what he had been doing at home.  After his first in-school standardized tests, some teachers gave him more advanced work.  That helped.   Then COVID sent them home.  The public school's online school was remedial at best.  If son had not already been accepted at his brother's charter school for this school year, we would have pulled him.  Dh agrees that putting youngest in public school was a mistake.  

Fast forward to this year - both sons are thriving at the charter school.  Oldest has no desire to homeschool again.  He loves having multiple teachers and regular peer interaction.  Youngest says he would prefer virtual school but only if it were asynchronous.  For synchronous learning he prefers in-person.  

I still miss teaching them.  I was just starting to figure out what to do with my days when COVID hit.  

• Like 3
On 4/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, Sherry in OH said:

I still miss teaching them.  I was just starting to figure out what to do with my days when COVID hit.  

I get this so much.   With mine, we had been struggling with a fear of learning/fear of failure that made everything so hard for years, and we were just starting to pull out of it when we decided to put him back (largely because my DH wanted it to, though in retrospect I think it was the right time).  It was frustrating to me because he was just getting to the point where he was loving learning, and wanting to learn so many things, and willing to try, and it wasn't such a struggle anymore.   It was one of the reasons he COULD go back.   But man it hurt to send him back when I was just getting to where it was easier. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, goldenecho said:

I get this so much.   With mine, we had been struggling with a fear of learning/fear of failure that made everything so hard for years, and we were just starting to pull out of it when we decided to put him back (largely because my DH wanted it to, though in retrospect I think it was the right time).  It was frustrating to me because he was just getting to the point where he was loving learning, and wanting to learn so many things, and willing to try, and it wasn't such a struggle anymore.   It was one of the reasons he COULD go back.   But man it hurt to send him back when I was just getting to where it was easier. 

I know what you mean. This is our 2nd year of official homeschooling and I feel like we've finally found our groove and now we're ending it. I think it's for the best because this is what DD wants but it's hard for me. 

• Like 1

Aww. I get it. There are mixed feelings. It's so hard sometimes to know how things will work out when we decide to stop homeschooling. I hope your daughter loves her new school. You may find yourself looking for a new purpose now. 

My oldest homeschooled all the way through. We tried Catholic school once (9th grade) because he was just a pain at home, but that only lasted about 6 weeks.

Second son did a whole year at public school for freshman year and did ok. He might have stuck with it for his second year of high school but we moved and he said it put him right back at the bottom of the pecking order again, and if I kept him there he would have to turn into someone he (and I) wouldn't like. I pulled him out and we finished up homeschooling.

Third child insisted she wanted to try public school to be with her friends when she was starting 5th grade. That lasted about 10 days. Yup. Back to homeschooling. Though she is not my youngest, she was the last one to homeschool since her younger sister was in public school full-time then. It was a special time with just the two of us. I did slowly start going back to work in her last two years. It was a good transition cuz otherwise I really would have lacked purpose.

Youngest really wanted to go to public school. She attended from 7th to 12th grades and did really well there, socially and academically. 

I hope everything goes smoothly for both you and your daughter!