Menu

2 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Well, our tax refund finally came, over two months after we filed.  We paid off the sprinter van and had the inside detailed to get it ready to sell, but before we even cleaned the outside or took pictures to list it, some acquaintances heard we were going to sell it and said they want to buy it at what we were hoping to get out of it.  We are just waiting on the title arriving in the mail to finish the transaction.

Once that is done, we will pay off the rest of the loan my parents gave us last year during our family’s crisis, and have $8500 remaining.  We are taking care of all the paperwork now to refinance our house with some of that.  This will lower our interest rate by .5% and eliminate our PMI.  In a very pleasant surprise, the loan person from the bank told me that their system says our house is worth $70K more now than when we bought it almost two years ago.  I knew home values were going crazy, but that was way beyond what I had thought.

Enough will be left from that to pay off the last non-mortgage/law school debt item early: $1500 on a zero-interest loan to replace our furnace.  The last of the tax return will go into the bed fund, as dh and I really need a new mattress.

I am so excited to hit these goals!  We will be in a strong position to start knocking out law school debt even faster and putting more towards savings, as these things will clear $850+ from the monthly budget all told.

Tons of AWESOME news!!!  Congrats.  Great way to use your refund and van money for so much good.  That $900 extra a month is huge!

• Like 1
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, we heard about the job last Thursday but I couldn't share it here until the official announcement went out at his work, which was today.   He got the promotion!! He starts May 1st. 20%

It did! Thanks for thinking of me. Today, I entered all my info into ADP, paid and filed a few bills, and toured their very messy file and storage rooms. I think it will be a good job, although I

How is everyone's Friday going?  We are doing well for the month.  Dh's paycheck last week paid all of our bills so the next two paychecks this month will go towards savings and food. It is still real

In other financial news:

My ds got into the clinical trial for the medicine we felt would be best for him!  A side affect of him getting it through the trial is that it is all covered by the study, and we won’t have to deal with the insurance at all concerning the chemo costs.  This is the medicine that, when we asked if paying for it out of pocket was an option if he didn’t get into the trial as insurance can be very resistant to covering it, they said, “only if you are literally millionaires”.

I am very morning sick with this pregnancy, and not managing to eat much.  At first this meant our food bills were climbing, as I was not feeling like cooking and we were eating out or cooking from convenience items much more, but I saw this and knuckled down to cook simple stuff from scratch more like normal, even if I can’t eat it myself.  So this past week our bills have been lower than normal.

Ri has a couple appointments in the city today, and if his rehab doctor signs off today, he is supposed to go to having all his physical therapy near home next week, and only need to drive in to the city for several days on one week per month, instead of weekly.  That would make a big difference in time and in gas money, too.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Well, our tax refund finally came, over two months after we filed.  We paid off the sprinter van and had the inside detailed to get it ready to sell, but before we even cleaned the outside or took pictures to list it, some acquaintances heard we were going to sell it and said they want to buy it at what we were hoping to get out of it.  We are just waiting on the title arriving in the mail to finish the transaction.

Once that is done, we will pay off the rest of the loan my parents gave us last year during our family’s crisis, and have $8500 remaining.  We are taking care of all the paperwork now to refinance our house with some of that.  This will lower our interest rate by .5% and eliminate our PMI.  In a very pleasant surprise, the loan person from the bank told me that their system says our house is worth $70K more now than when we bought it almost two years ago.  I knew home values were going crazy, but that was way beyond what I had thought.

Enough will be left from that to pay off the last non-mortgage/law school debt item early: $1500 on a zero-interest loan to replace our furnace.  The last of the tax return will go into the bed fund, as dh and I really need a new mattress.

I am so excited to hit these goals!  We will be in a strong position to start knocking out law school debt even faster and putting more towards savings, as these things will clear $850+ from the monthly budget all told.

That is awesome and very exciting! Congrats!

__________________-

I went grocery shopping last night. Only $30 as that is what was left of the grocery budget. 

Dh is inquiring again at work about them paying for college. They did do this but it was cut last year. This would be a huge help. Dh has a small scholarship and grants but it doesn't cover everything. 

They started on our concrete pad yesterday. We'll pay for that when it is finished, probably next week. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Condessa said:

In other financial news:

My ds got into the clinical trial for the medicine we felt would be best for him!  A side affect of him getting it through the trial is that it is all covered by the study, and we won’t have to deal with the insurance at all concerning the chemo costs.  This is the medicine that, when we asked if paying for it out of pocket was an option if he didn’t get into the trial as insurance can be very resistant to covering it, they said, “only if you are literally millionaires”.

I am very morning sick with this pregnancy, and not managing to eat much.  At first this meant our food bills were climbing, as I was not feeling like cooking and we were eating out or cooking from convenience items much more, but I saw this and knuckled down to cook simple stuff from scratch more like normal, even if I can’t eat it myself.  So this past week our bills have been lower than normal.

Ri has a couple appointments in the city today, and if his rehab doctor signs off today, he is supposed to go to having all his physical therapy near home next week, and only need to drive in to the city for several days on one week per month, instead of weekly.  That would make a big difference in time and in gas money, too.

YAY!!!!  That is amazing news about getting into the trial!!   You have so much great news today.  Yayyy!

I am sorry you are so sick.  I was so sick with each pg with HG everyone was on their own. 

I hope that the one week a month works out.   

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Soror said:

That is awesome and very exciting! Congrats!

__________________-

I went grocery shopping last night. Only $30 as that is what was left of the grocery budget. 

Dh is inquiring again at work about them paying for college. They did do this but it was cut last year. This would be a huge help. Dh has a small scholarship and grants but it doesn't cover everything. 

They started on our concrete pad yesterday. We'll pay for that when it is finished, probably next week. 

Fingers crossed for work to pay for his school. That would be great.  

Yay on starting the workshop.  

2 hours ago, Condessa said:

Well, our tax refund finally came, over two months after we filed.

Lucky!!  They accepted out feb 17th and still nothing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Condessa said:

In other financial news:

That is even better news, ya!!!!

• Like 1

Dh said that his company is advertising on the radio that they have reimbursement for college. Sure as heck better mean he gets it again too. This would mean we could use our money we've saved for college next semester for our little beach vaca since our tax refund that was going to finance it is still MIA so I won't have to shuffle money around from other funds to cover it until it comes in. The amount we'll have saved by the end of May when we are scheduled to go is nearly exactly the same as I planned on us spending.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Condessa said:

Wow, that’s awesome!!!

• Like 1

Was given an extra food box this time. They each had 

1 gallon milk 

1 package hot dogs 

1 lb bologna

3 lbs yogurt

2 lbs sour cream

5 lbs potatoes 

3 lbs onions 

3 lbs apples

1 lb cheddar cheese

• Like 3
1 minute ago, saraha said:

Was given an extra food box this time. They each had 

1 gallon milk 

1 package hot dogs 

1 lb bologna

3 lbs yogurt

2 lbs sour cream

5 lbs potatoes 

3 lbs onions 

3 lbs apples

1 lb cheddar cheese

Yay, glad you got it.  

Holy cow on the yogurt and sour cream!

50 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay, glad you got it.  

Holy cow on the yogurt and sour cream!

There wasn’t as much meat in this box as there have been, but gift horses, right? Definitely going to try out a naan bread recipe this weekend that calls for yogurt, but honestly, our family is so big it won’t be a problem to finish it all off. Chips and potatoes are just the vehicle that gets the sour cream to their face, haha. They would just eat it with a spoon.

• Haha 2

The $1.8 trillion plan would create universal pre-K for 3- and 4-year-olds, and fund two years of free universal community college. The plan would cap how much low and middle-income Americans must spend on child care, extend Affordable Care Act tax credits and expand paid leave. Spending on the new programs account for $1 trillion of the price tag, while $800 billion would go to tax cuts for middle and lower-income Americans.

Biden speech: Key takeaways from his $1.8 trillion 'American Families Plan' (msn.com)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Lucky!!  They accepted out feb 17th and still nothing.

I read tax forums regularly and I have heard that any return that claims the Recovery Rebate Credit (2020 stimulus $) has to be manually reviewed if it does not match with their records. Am I correct that you had a baby in 2020? If so, that would explain the delay. You are unfortunately waiting for an actual IRS human to review your return 😞

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I read tax forums regularly and I have heard that any return that claims the Recovery Rebate Credit (2020 stimulus $) has to be manually reviewed if it does not match with their records. Am I correct that you had a baby in 2020? If so, that would explain the delay. You are unfortunately waiting for an actual IRS human to review your return 😞

yeah, sadly I heard the same.  I actually got in touch with someone from the IRS and they said it was sent to a different department and the claim for the recovery rebate credit was likely the reason why.  It is now on a 10 week timeline.  I think there are 4 more weeks of that 10 weeks 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Budgeted dh's second check of the month today towards June's budget.

Dh heard back yesterday that they are reimbursing for college and started when the new company took over. That was in fall yet he was told no when he asked last time. He is looking into that more today. 

I need to start planning what exactly we are going to do on our little vaca to the beach. We are bringing most of our own food and snacks with us but will get some food out. I want to do a few things that cost money but need to price things and look at the schedule. I also have to plan ds' Eagle Scout ceremony that is in May. I've done nothing yet. I hate HATE hate planning things like this and am a nervous wreck thinking of it.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Soror said:

Dh heard back yesterday that they are reimbursing for college and started when the new company took over. That was in fall yet he was told no when he asked last time. He is looking into that more today. 

I need to start planning what exactly we are going to do on our little vaca to the beach. We are bringing most of our own food and snacks with us but will get some food out. I want to do a few things that cost money but need to price things and look at the schedule. I also have to plan ds' Eagle Scout ceremony that is in May. I've done nothing yet. I hate HATE hate planning things like this and am a nervous wreck thinking of it.

Oh how annoying.  Is there a way that they can reimburse him for all the classes since the new company took over? 

Congrats on your son getting to Eagle Scout!! Can he plan it? 

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh how annoying.  Is there a way that they can reimburse him for all the classes since the new company took over? 

Congrats on your son getting to Eagle Scout!! Can he plan it? 

He is looking into it today. I'd have to add it up to even see how much it was in all. 

LOL. My son is a typical nearly 17 yr old boy. He'd be even more clueless than me at such things. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Soror said:

He is looking into it today. I'd have to add it up to even see how much it was in all. 

LOL. My son is a typical nearly 17 yr old boy. He'd be even more clueless than me at such things. 

I hope it works out that your dh can get that money back.

We are not a scouting family, so I don't know what is involved, but maybe a good time to do some adulting training?  Maybe you can outline the things he needs to do to plan and he does the action work?  Take some off your plate?  Some families I know have their kids plan their own birthday parties and such if they want to have one.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Soror said:

Congrats to your DS! I hate planning things like that. Maybe you can give DS an outline: would this one help? https://scoutsmarts.com/eagle-scout-court-of-honor-planning-and-prep/ or this? https://www.eaglecourtofhonor.com/2017/08/09/planning-an-eagle-court-ceremony/

Maybe you do part of it/he does part of it/sibling does part. Would that work? You find the venue, sister makes invites, he writes up the program? 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope it works out that your dh can get that money back.

We are not a scouting family, so I don't know what is involved, but maybe a good time to do some adulting training?  Maybe you can outline the things he needs to do to plan and he does the action work?  Take some off your plate?  Some families I know have their kids plan their own birthday parties and such if they want to have one.  

10 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Congrats to your DS! I hate planning things like that. Maybe you can give DS an outline: would this one help? https://scoutsmarts.com/eagle-scout-court-of-honor-planning-and-prep/ or this? https://www.eaglecourtofhonor.com/2017/08/09/planning-an-eagle-court-ceremony/

Maybe you do part of it/he does part of it/sibling does part. Would that work? You find the venue, sister makes invites, he writes up the program? 

You guys are sweet. Thank you for the links. We already have the place reserved. It is done at the same place as Scouts. I think what we need to do is make a digital invitation, figure out table settings, any extra food, and a display to show pictures of him over the years of scouting. Just thinking about it stresses me out. He'll be helping but it is still a stress to me as someone has to coordinate it and it is expected to be Mom and if not done right it will be on me.

• Like 3

And looks like my washer is leaking. Dh will look at it tonight when he gets home. As I mentioned before we are expecting to replace it this year but my fund is not yet complete. So, we'll have to pull from other funds to buy if it is toast already.  I'm hoping to hold out until Memorial Day when there will be nice sales.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, Soror said:

And looks like my washer is leaking. Dh will look at it tonight when he gets home. As I mentioned before we are expecting to replace it this year but my fund is not yet complete. So, we'll have to pull from other funds to buy if it is toast already.  I'm hoping to hold out until Memorial Day when there will be nice sales.

Oh no.  I hope it isn't that serious and there isn't any damage.  We had to replace our washer due to a leak too. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh no.  I hope it isn't that serious and there isn't any damage.  We had to replace our washer due to a leak too. 

No, no damage to the house, it leaked under the washer and I caught it early. Dh says it is time for a new one. I really want to wait until I can catch a sale. I hate to pay full price. Dh says maybe he can rig a temp fix to limp along a little while longer. I'm going to stop in the local Speed Queen dealer tomorrow and have a look. We have had a current washer 14 yrs. That is a pretty darn good run these days. We've had various little repairs over the years and have had to deal with some annoying glitches but I feel we got our money's worth. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Soror said:

No, no damage to the house, it leaked under the washer and I caught it early. Dh says it is time for a new one. I really want to wait until I can catch a sale. I hate to pay full price. Dh says maybe he can rig a temp fix to limp along a little while longer. I'm going to stop in the local Speed Queen dealer tomorrow and have a look. We have had a current washer 14 yrs. That is a pretty darn good run these days. We've had various little repairs over the years and have had to deal with some annoying glitches but I feel we got our money's worth. 

Awww, sorry you have to replace it. You did get a good run with it, but ugh! I hate buying appliances. 

• Like 1

IT"S PAYDAY!!!!  My first "big" paycheck in 16 years, y'all! 

Picked up school lunches yesterday.

Planning on ordering groceries after work today for pickup tomorrow.

DH heads to Alabama this evening to pick up oldest this evening. 

We're going to have to hire someone to deal with voles that are tearing up our yard. DH tried to poison them, and I have cleared all the leaves, debris and mulch from the beds, and they're still running around like crazy out there. Our neighbors have offered to split the cost with us since they've set up housekeeping in the yard between. 

Nothing else new - just keep trucking along here. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Soror said:

Do you have a Speed Queen now?   I have heard that is what you should get if you have a big family.  Yeah 14 years is an awesome run these days.  I am glad there wasn't any damage.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

IT"S PAYDAY!!!!  My first "big" paycheck in 16 years, y'all! 

Picked up school lunches yesterday.

Planning on ordering groceries after work today for pickup tomorrow.

DH heads to Alabama this evening to pick up oldest this evening. 

We're going to have to hire someone to deal with voles that are tearing up our yard. DH tried to poison them, and I have cleared all the leaves, debris and mulch from the beds, and they're still running around like crazy out there. Our neighbors have offered to split the cost with us since they've set up housekeeping in the yard between. 

Nothing else new - just keep trucking along here. 

Yay for payday!!!  

Ugh I hope you get the voles under control.  I have ground squirrels that tunnel all over my yard leaving holes.  Try to go into the siding.  We have tried a lot of things.  The only thing that worked was a live trap.  But we catch a ton of them and then there are just more. 

• Like 1