Menu

April Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

34 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

UGH that subdivision that we wanted to build in that honestly was in a great location, has a ton of HOA rules that I don't think we would want to deal with.   Poop.

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

well then that is a gamble.  But it is possible to dissolve an HOA once the developer is out of the picture. 

I'm not sure how things are set up by you @mommyoffive but when we built, our subdivision had rules set by the developer.  (things like how many trees you had to have planted, how many foundation shrubs, we were required to have at least some brick on the front of the house, no boats, RV, or car maintenance in the driveways, no sheds, fences had to be vinyl or wood only and on they went, I thought they were pretty restrictive) However, once the subdivision was complete the governing was turned over to the neighborhood association.  I have no idea how the neighborhood association was formed because I honestly never cared about it but I will say that all the "rules" set by the developer are pretty much nonexistent in real life.  I can't think of a single property that doesn't have a least one violation of the "rules" set up by the developer.  I think the developer was stringent because they want everything to look great for potential new buyers but once it's all sold and they move on, the real people who live there aren't nearly as fussy. But again this is a neighborhood association and I'm not sure how that differs or if it differs from a HOA.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It is an entirely new subdivision built by one builder.  There are not that many houses there currently

I would see if you can get a full copy of the rules and see what the plan for governing is once the development is filled.  That might tell you if there is likely to be leeway in the future.

• Like 1

Just now, cjzimmer1 said:

I would see if you can get a full copy of the rules and see what the plan for governing is once the development is filled.  That might tell you if there is likely to be leeway in the future.

Yeah they sent me the copy of the rules and I was just going through that today.   I will ask about what their governing route is in the future. 

Soror

I just watched this segment on the news 

How to lower the cost of prescription drugs (today.com)

Zach Zeller and Mark McCormick are co-founders of ScriptCo, a new membership-based online pharmacy that sells generic meds to consumers at wholesale cost. Their revenue comes solely from the cost of membership — $140 a year or $50 for three months — and not off the drugs that they sell to you. Before joining you can see exactly how much you might save by entering your prescriptions on their website to see the wholesale costs. It's free to check and the site won't ask for any personal information unless you join.

Wanted to pass it on to you incase it helps.

• Like 1

My work week is over - I worked M-Th. I really don't have enough work yet, so I am planning on annexing other people's work as I go if I find there still isn't enough LOL! It's a pretty good job - I like everyone there so far, and there were birthday snacks in the break room today, which is always good.

Today I picked up school lunches. I also paid our property taxes (which are minimal due to mobile home living). I won a sweepstakes with a few random things - a sweatshirt, some gum, a blanket & a pillow. It was payday today, so I paid the regular bills - it was a nice check because DH worked last Saturday morning as well. 

Tomorrow, I'm getting the AC refreshed in the van prior to DH picking up oldest in Alabama. I will be taking the random winnings to a local homeless shelter (I'm keeping the gum though) tomorrow as well.

yDD made Earth Day cookies today - super yummy and very pretty.   https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a52657/earth-day-cookies-recipe/ 

• Like 4

Picked up free meals for the rest of the week. 

Got my second covid shot today.

Dh got some cash for his B-day.  Some of it was pretty unexpected.  

Selling a few things from around the house.

Hjffkj, did your dh hear about the job? 

Historically Accurate, how is the new job going? 

Saraha, how is your dh doing? 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

So far saving myself $1500 ish dollars today.  I am seeing $200 flights to Tokyo all the way  until March 2022.  I was about to buy them and then checked and saw that Tokyo is closed to American Tourists.  I was hoping if we got tickets for next spring we would all be vaccinated and things would be better.  Not sure I want to risk it. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, historically accurate said:

My work week is over - I worked M-Th. I really don't have enough work yet, so I am planning on annexing other people's work as I go if I find there still isn't enough LOL! It's a pretty good job - I like everyone there so far, and there were birthday snacks in the break room today, which is always good.

Today I picked up school lunches. I also paid our property taxes (which are minimal due to mobile home living). I won a sweepstakes with a few random things - a sweatshirt, some gum, a blanket & a pillow. It was payday today, so I paid the regular bills - it was a nice check because DH worked last Saturday morning as well. 

Tomorrow, I'm getting the AC refreshed in the van prior to DH picking up oldest in Alabama. I will be taking the random winnings to a local homeless shelter (I'm keeping the gum though) tomorrow as well.

yDD made Earth Day cookies today - super yummy and very pretty.   https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a52657/earth-day-cookies-recipe/ 

Congrats on your first work week.

I had a dream I went over on the grocery budget!

Concrete guy might start today or maybe Monday. That will be a big outlay but planned for- also need to call termite guy next week for the new pad.

I returned clothes on Tues and bought myself a few flowers (outside) yesterday and 2 raspberry bushes (very small). Also got some paint to spruce up a hand me down plant stand for the front porch with new flowers. Got $20 for ds to add to his lunch account. Got a medical bill from last year. I was under the understanding that the provider wrote off any extra charges above negotiated rates but they do not, but it is only $40 total. 

• Like 3

Yes, we heard about the job last Thursday but I couldn't share it here until the official announcement went out at his work, which was today.

He got the promotion!! He starts May 1st. 20% raise, m-f 10 to 7. Hours could be better but we're not picky 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Yes, we heard about the job last Thursday but I couldn't share it here until the official announcement went out at his work, which was today.

He got the promotion!! He starts May 1st. 20% raise, m-f 10 to 7. Hours could be better but we're not picky 

Yay!!!  Congrats to him.  That is a HUGE raise.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Super excited for y'all! That's a great promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Hurray!!!

• Like 2

My weekend is about to be spent 1. Budgeting for dd’s “super senior” year. It’s been a rough school year. And 2. Trying to finalize every detail of our dang house budget.

I still don’t fully understand how we’re supposed to plan everything. There’s supposed to be two separate meetings for “building” and “finishing”. But elements of my budget are dependent on one another. Like, I might want extra plumbing and electric on one wall, but it depends on how much the extra cabinetry and countertop would cost. I might want an extra basement exit, but I’ll give it up if it means solid core doors will push me over my numbers. And we’re supposed to be rearranging the master bath, but I don’t know the numbers for switching out a soaking tub for a glass door shower. And I’ve been asking for these costs for weeks.

I normally enjoy making budgets, but I do not enjoy if-then budgets. At all.

Also, bank back ups are flirting dangerously close with our contracting closing deadline. So that’s fun.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, saraha said:

We were able to get the Farmers to Families box this time, yay! I made sure I went earlier this time.

• package of five face masks 
  • 1 gallon milk
  • 3 lb bag of onions
  • 5 lb bag of potatoes
  • 3 lb bag of apples
  • 1 lb bologna
  • 1 lb smoky cheddar cheese
  • 16 ounces of sour cream
  • 4 lb bag of chicken patties
  •  2- 24 ounce cartons of vanilla yogurt

I saw that this great program ends on May 31st. Are there food pantries that give out boxes in your area? I know there are two places that do that in our small town.

11 minutes ago, Ethel Mertz said:

I saw that this great program ends on May 31st. Are there food pantries that give out boxes in your area? I know there are two places that do that in our small town.

Thank you for thinking of us! They do, but when the program is done, people will have a lot less options in our area and I will probably save it for those worse off than us. The Farmers to Families program is paid for by the federal government, where our local food pantries rely on donations.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

My weekend is about to be spent 1. Budgeting for dd’s “super senior” year. It’s been a rough school year. And 2. Trying to finalize every detail of our dang house budget.

I still don’t fully understand how we’re supposed to plan everything. There’s supposed to be two separate meetings for “building” and “finishing”. But elements of my budget are dependent on one another. Like, I might want extra plumbing and electric on one wall, but it depends on how much the extra cabinetry and countertop would cost. I might want an extra basement exit, but I’ll give it up if it means solid core doors will push me over my numbers. And we’re supposed to be rearranging the master bath, but I don’t know the numbers for switching out a soaking tub for a glass door shower. And I’ve been asking for these costs for weeks.

I normally enjoy making budgets, but I do not enjoy if-then budgets. At all.

Also, bank back ups are flirting dangerously close with our contracting closing deadline. So that’s fun.

Is it your dd's senior year this coming school year?  What are you planning?  I feel like trying to make up for the last year for my kids. 

Oh wow, that is so hard and overwhelming to make all those choices for the house.  Is your dh home?   I thought he was working out of town.   That would probably make it even harder.   

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Thank you for thinking of us! They do, but when the program is done, people will have a lot less options in our area and I will probably save it for those worse off than us. The Farmers to Families program is paid for by the federal government, where our local food pantries rely on donations.

Do you guys have the free breakfast and lunch meals from the schools in your area? 

Nope. They have been in person all year with just temporary closings and when I called to ask, the lady was super not interested in helping homeschoolers.

we do put in a big garden every year so that will be very nice over the summer

Edited by saraha
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is it your dd's senior year this coming school year?  What are you planning?  I feel like trying to make up for the last year for my kids. 

Oh wow, that is so hard and overwhelming to make all those choices for the house.  Is your dh home?   I thought he was working out of town.   That would probably make it even harder.   

This past year was her senior year, but it didn’t go so hot.  And, with her newly intended major, she needs to pull up her grades and skills in a couple of admissions requirements.  Plus, it may give her a chance to do some DE, which she completely missed out on.  So I’m mostly planning out labs she never finished, solidifying some math, some CLEP study, and picking DE courses.  We’ll see whether this becomes a summer/fall situation with mid-year graduation, or another full year. Once she’s fully vaccinated and has more social opportunities, I think her mental health will lead to better time management!

Dh is home, which helps a bit. The process of getting him up to speed was excruciating. I’m still glad we went through with it and I made all the basic decisions while he was gone though, or the wait would have cost us another $25k. Which might have been enough to scare us away from this whole crazy market entirely!

• Like 4

Hopefully selling something this weekend.  I want to get it out of the garage.  Dh cleaned the garage out.  I have a few other things to list and get rid of from there. 

Got some new storage furniture and got that put together and set up today.

Some kids are redoing their rooms today.

Putting in blinds in the 2 rooms that don't have them.

Ordered free meals for the week. 

Working on the fixing up the coop so the girls can move out there on Monday.  2 more nights of cold weather.  That will be nice because they are in a coop in my garage currently. 

Soror, are you still doing those surveys from 20/20 panel? 

Celebrate National Pretzel Day w/ FREE Pretzels on 04/26 - Hip2Save

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Congratulations 🥳👏🥳

5 hours ago, saraha said:

Nope. They have been in person all year with just temporary closings and when I called to ask, the lady was super not interested in helping homeschoolers.

we do put in a big garden every year so that will be very nice over the summer

Same here. School has been in person all year so no meals once school started (of farmers boxes) It seemed like our school was trying to punish those that did virtual school.  Food for kids should be an all the time thing. I wish they would keep that up in the lower income areas at least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Congratulations 🥳👏🥳

Same here. School has been in person all year so no meals once school started (of farmers boxes) It seemed like our school was trying to punish those that did virtual school.  Food for kids should be an all the time thing. I wish they would keep that up in the lower income areas at least. 

That really sucks.  It punishes the virtual, homeschool, and the kids that are to young to be in school.  I heard on another board that they were going to do free meals all  next school year.  I haven't seen that in any official place though.  I am surprised they make it harder for those kids because from what I have heard they need the numbers of kids doing it. 

• Like 3

I have to work on a menu plan today. Bleah - I have no desire to do so. I do desire to eat, so I will force myself. Doing laundry and making school lists for the kids as well.

Bought a  sign off of Etsy for the kitchen to replace the completely faded picture that has been there for 15ish years. It's a wooden plaque that says: Now Serving Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevensies... 

I'm working afternoons this week since DD has a doctor appointment tomorrow morning and I'm getting the vaccine on Tuesday morning. I think I'll like it better than the schedule last week (9:30-1:30). No lunch makes me grouchy. 

I sold a dress my DD outgrew this week on ebay for $10ish. Listed a Snap Circuits kit on our local homeschool page this morning. 

VIPKid offered me $4 this week for opening 2 slots sometime this week. 

Reserved DH's hotel rooms for next weekend - oldest is coming home! I spent some time yesterday cleaning out a space for her in middle DD's room (middle DD sleeps in the living room, but has all her stuff in a bedroom). Money is already set aside in savings - we set aside her portion of the last Covid check for travel $ and books. 

• Like 3

Updated budget today, I do it a couple of times a month. Not my favorite thing to do. We are consistently running over in the electric and water, but everything else we are doing good for. Guess I need to reduce some other categories, of course then I will run them over, haha.

Oldest Ds moves out next week, so some unexpected expenses there (since we weren't expecting him to move out!)

Ordered parts for broken vacuum, if this works, it will be cheaper than buying a new one.

I am so impressed with you all, you guys seem to have this finances thing under control!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

The Snap Circuits sold already! Awesome. 

It's pizza night tonight - I'm so excited I don't have to cook. 

My brother won some Amazon gift cards that he doesn't want, so he gave them to me since he owes me a little cash. Another $15 in my Christmas fund. Only 8 more shopping months!

HA HA!

• Like 1

American Family (who we have house insurance through) offered to do a quote for auto insurance. We transferred our auto insurance away from them about 4 years ago due to them increasing the rates because DH ran a red light. We've been with Geico ever since. I got the quote today - $300 cheaper than Geico per year. I've got to call them back, but we'll transfer the insurance back.

DD had a doctor appointment today. No major problems, but they do want her using shoe inserts (orthotics). They had an over the counter pair that we're going to try for $40. I also have to pick up a prescription for her on my way home from work.

Picked up school lunches on the way home from DD's doctor appointment. They ignored my request for 2 students' lunches and gave me "a little extra" which translates into 5. Fridge is now packed out.

DMIL is currently in the ER waiting for a hospital room. Apparently, our hospitals are pretty full with Covid, so she's been in a hallway since 4:30 am. DH is taking the afternoon off to run some stuff up there for her. She's been having chest pains for a week or so; this is the 3rd ER visit, and I'm so thankful they're keeping her this time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

American Family (who we have house insurance through) offered to do a quote for auto insurance. We transferred our auto insurance away from them about 4 years ago due to them increasing the rates because DH ran a red light. We've been with Geico ever since. I got the quote today - $300 cheaper than Geico per year. I've got to call them back, but we'll transfer the insurance back.

DD had a doctor appointment today. No major problems, but they do want her using shoe inserts (orthotics). They had an over the counter pair that we're going to try for $40. I also have to pick up a prescription for her on my way home from work.

Picked up school lunches on the way home from DD's doctor appointment. They ignored my request for 2 students' lunches and gave me "a little extra" which translates into 5. Fridge is now packed out.

DMIL is currently in the ER waiting for a hospital room. Apparently, our hospitals are pretty full with Covid, so she's been in a hallway since 4:30 am. DH is taking the afternoon off to run some stuff up there for her. She's been having chest pains for a week or so; this is the 3rd ER visit, and I'm so thankful they're keeping her this time. 

Oh no.  Sending lots of good thoughts for her.  I hope they figure out what is going on with her and can help her.  Poor lady being in the hallway like that.  Ugh. 

That is so scary that your hospitals are full with  Covid!  Wow.  I didn't know it was not good down there. 

Yay for the extra savings!

Yay no problems with your dd.  I hope the shoe inserts help.

• Like 2

Got the free meals today and free crafts.

Dh did some of the upgrades to the coop.  We added a metal roof, it looks so good!  Moved the chickens outside today.  Beautiful day for their first time outside.   Got a few plants. pots, and seeds.  I need to fully clean the garage now that there is more room with them being outside.  

Got some more storage solutions today and need to put them together.  Hopefully a furniture delivery today too.  Dance order should be here today too.   We will see if it actually shows up. 

The person didn't come for the item over the weekend.  Boo.  

Hoping to order more furniture this week.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I liked your post for the rest of it, but I am sorry to hear this about your mother in law

• Like 2

We’re in final underwriting!
May isn’t exactly going to be a frugal month.  Well, I guess maybe it sort of will be... all those if/then spending decisions. Not going overboard is an element of frugality!

I sort of ignored a savings opportunity today. My electricity supplier called to offer a better rate, but I was waiting on call backs from multiple people with the whole house thing and couldn’t think straight. He did say he’d call back at a better time.

My food budget’s going to be on the high end this week because we’ve got 2 birthdays, and birthday people get whatever food they want!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

May isn’t exactly going to be a frugal month.  Well, I guess maybe it sort of will be... all those if/then spending decisions. Not going overboard is an element of frugality!

I sort of ignored a savings opportunity today. My electricity supplier called to offer a better rate, but I was waiting on call backs from multiple people with the whole house thing and couldn’t think straight. He did say he’d call back at a better time.

My food budget’s going to be on the high end this week because we’ve got 2 birthdays, and birthday people get whatever food they want!

Yay!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

We do the same for birthdays!  We had 4 birthdays in the last month, so $$$.

Congrats on your house progress!!!  So exciting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Congratulations on the house, lots of excitement for you, and so many decisions!

18 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Thinking of your dmil. 

Nice savings on the insurance, that is a big help. 

On 4/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, saraha said:

Updated budget today, I do it a couple of times a month. Not my favorite thing to do. We are consistently running over in the electric and water, but everything else we are doing good for. Guess I need to reduce some other categories, of course then I will run them over, haha.

Oldest Ds moves out next week, so some unexpected expenses there (since we weren't expecting him to move out!)

Ordered parts for broken vacuum, if this works, it will be cheaper than buying a new one.

I am so impressed with you all, you guys seem to have this finances thing under control!

One thing I love about YNAB is the principle of roll with the punches. Before I'd make a budget and be annoyed and disappointed that I couldn't exactly stick to it. But the thing is crap happens. Like you said if these categories are higher than expected consistently no need in pretending they're not you got to cut from somewhere else. Tracking everything month to month gives you the info to know what you actually spend versus what you think you should spend. Re: Electric we have a thing called budget billing here it takes a average of your last 12 months and makes that your bill so there are no big swings in bills. It makes it much easier to anticipate costs and budget for. 

• Like 3

Finally went through the girl's clothes. Dd2's closet was pretty tragic. I took them to Wal-Mart and they each got a few things. I still need to get dd2 a swimsuit, belt, and I think they both need some sandals. 

I got myself a pair of shorts, pants, and 2 basic tanks yesterday.

Dh needs some new shorts. It has been years since he has bought any. I need to get ds a few pair too. I'll probably go to Marshall's or Ross for them. He also needs some new work boots. He is very rough on shoes at work, he got these 6 months ago. 

Dd1 probably needs a new swimsuit. I think she's outgrown hers from last year. 

I've got to put in extra in the clothing budget next month. I need to look at my tallies and refigure my monthly clothing budget. 

Dh says we have no more lawnmower/yard maintenance after all we did this month (until next spring). We'll see. We are in our first year of tracking things very closely so I don't have any historical figures to compare. 

• Like 3

Annoyed with all the expenses lately but staying the course and keeping with tracking and adjusting as needed. Budgeting is less 'fun' when there are more not so fun expenses but all the more important to do. So, I'm keeping my head up and focused although when I get a bunch of bills I really just want to try and ignore it all and pretend it is better than it is. 

• Like 3

I ordered a $9 wi-fi enabled thermostat today. My electric utility sent me an email that I normally ignore, but I happened to open it today. Normally $129, on sale for $99 with a $98 instant rebate (meaning I was not charged), so $1 with $8 in taxes. It should be here in about a week. I figured for less than $10 it was worth giving it a try. We currently have a boring one you have to go and press buttons to change. 

I found out yesterday that my boss, who just hired me last week, is leaving the library in a month. So, I'll be getting a new boss (or I have to figure out how to take over in less than a month LOL). I'm sure it will be fine - my anxiety has kind of kicked up about that. Today is another brand new task for me - payroll. So, a field trip to city hall is in the works for me since the city pays library employees.

Getting Shot #2 this morning, and then working this afternoon.

DMIL is doing well except she's grouchy about being in the hospital. She's in a room and waiting for tests. No pain this morning. 

• Like 3

Dh took a vacation day to take ds21 to training for his new job, he has one week in the new job before his apartment is ready for him to move into. So extra gas and eat out since the training center is half an hour away from actual job site which is an hour away from home and he has to be at both for two days this week, and dh loves eating out. Then just driving him and picking him up for the rest of the week.  So big jump in gas.  Looking forward to getting him in his new apartment! 

Did all needed repairs to ds's clothes before he moves out.  He is really hard on jeans and jean shorts! Found out they have casual Friday, so he will have to buy himself a pair of jeans since he doesn't own a single pair I have not patched or repaired in some way. Also some nicer t-shirts

Friend gave me several raspberry bush starts. I have not had much luck with fruits or berries, but hope springs eternal. Planted lettuce, peas and radishes with ds10 over the weekend. Tomato, pepper, brussel sprout and broccoli seedlings still alive, so that is going well. This is the most successful we have been for starting seeds, so keeping fingers crossed. 

We may or may not have the farmers to families food boxes this week, but here's hoping! I have been using the money I have saved from these boxes to add to my pantry since I only see prices going up and the bills are still rolling in for dh. He really  needs to get on that since they are saying they are not covering anything because it was out of state. Except it wasn't out of state, it was firmly here in this state, haha.

• Like 3

I bought some art supplies from Amazon.  🤦🏻‍♀️   Maybe $60 worth.

Dh is staining the deck, so that’ll be $200 probably.  

He bought stuff for a grill out when his parents came over Saturday.  I don’t even want to know what that cost.  

I spent $115 on groceries.   With ds out of the house, that weekly bill has gone down quite a bit.   

I’ve got to get new glasses Monday.  Hopefully we have enough left on the FSA card so I won’t pay out of pocket.  

I am playing around with the idea of selling some paintings, maybe through getting a booth at an arts festival.   We’ll see... 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I ordered a $9 wi-fi enabled thermostat today. My electric utility sent me an email that I normally ignore, but I happened to open it today. Normally $129, on sale for $99 with a $98 instant rebate (meaning I was not charged), so $1 with $8 in taxes. It should be here in about a week. I figured for less than $10 it was worth giving it a try. We currently have a boring one you have to go and press buttons to change. 

I found out yesterday that my boss, who just hired me last week, is leaving the library in a month. So, I'll be getting a new boss (or I have to figure out how to take over in less than a month LOL). I'm sure it will be fine - my anxiety has kind of kicked up about that. Today is another brand new task for me - payroll. So, a field trip to city hall is in the works for me since the city pays library employees.

Getting Shot #2 this morning, and then working this afternoon.

DMIL is doing well except she's grouchy about being in the hospital. She's in a room and waiting for tests. No pain this morning. 

How cool about the thermostat.   Do you still have a push button one?  I like that better for at home, but I could see that when you are gone the wifi one would be awesome.  When we used to travel I would always freak out about heat, locked doors, or water.  There is just so much going on when you leave. 

Oh wow. That is crazy if you have to take over after just starting.  Take it day by day.  

I hope you feel well after your 2nd shot.

I am so glad your DMIL is doing well!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I bought some art supplies from Amazon.  🤦🏻‍♀️   Maybe $60 worth.

Dh is staining the deck, so that’ll be $200 probably.  

He bought stuff for a grill out when his parents came over Saturday.  I don’t even want to know what that cost.  

I spent $115 on groceries.   With ds out of the house, that weekly bill has gone down quite a bit.   

I’ve got to get new glasses Monday.  Hopefully we have enough left on the FSA card so I won’t pay out of pocket.  

I am playing around with the idea of selling some paintings, maybe through getting a booth at an arts festival.   We’ll see... 

Oh that is so neat that you might sell some.  Have you posted pictures of your paintings on here before?  I would love to see them.  Would Etsy be a good avenue for that? 

I can't wait for our bill to go down when all the kids leave.   Before we had any kids we spend what we do now for groceries.  But that is because we bought everything premade because neither of us could cook. 

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Annoyed with all the expenses lately but staying the course and keeping with tracking and adjusting as needed. Budgeting is less 'fun' when there are more not so fun expenses but all the more important to do. So, I'm keeping my head up and focused although when I get a bunch of bills I really just want to try and ignore it all and pretend it is better than it is. 

Sing it sister.  Being an adult is hard.  It is always one thing and then another.  

46 minutes ago, saraha said:

Dh took a vacation day to take ds21 to training for his new job, he has one week in the new job before his apartment is ready for him to move into. So extra gas and eat out since the training center is half an hour away from actual job site which is an hour away from home and he has to be at both for two days this week, and dh loves eating out. Then just driving him and picking him up for the rest of the week.  So big jump in gas.  Looking forward to getting him in his new apartment! 

Did all needed repairs to ds's clothes before he moves out.  He is really hard on jeans and jean shorts! Found out they have casual Friday, so he will have to buy himself a pair of jeans since he doesn't own a single pair I have not patched or repaired in some way. Also some nicer t-shirts

Friend gave me several raspberry bush starts. I have not had much luck with fruits or berries, but hope springs eternal. Planted lettuce, peas and radishes with ds10 over the weekend. Tomato, pepper, brussel sprout and broccoli seedlings still alive, so that is going well. This is the most successful we have been for starting seeds, so keeping fingers crossed. 

We may or may not have the farmers to families food boxes this week, but here's hoping! I have been using the money I have saved from these boxes to add to my pantry since I only see prices going up and the bills are still rolling in for dh. He really  needs to get on that since they are saying they are not covering anything because it was out of state. Except it wasn't out of state, it was firmly here in this state, haha.

So exciting for your DS!  Congrats to him.  I bet it will be so odd at first when he is gone. 

I have tried raspberry, blackberries, and blueberries and never ever had success.   We have had TONS of success with strawberries and tomatoes.  I am wanting to rip apart our garden and put them all in pots this year.   We always start stuff and then don't tend to it well and it gets weed filled.  I think the pots would be easier to keep the animals out of?  At least they would have to jump for the food.  We have a fence for the garden but they have just dug under.  

I hope you get the F2F box!

Ugh sending some good thoughts as your dh tries to figure out the insurance problem.   Boo on insurance. 

• Like 2

Boo on insurance is right. What other thing on the planet would we pay so much for, be at the mercy of, have bad customer service, and still keep giving them money! I am grateful so far that this is the first time we will have to deal with insurance outside of just regular doctors visits.  Some on this thread just have a horrendous time with something so vital and expensive ALL THE TIME. I can't wrap my brain around how spectacularly bad it is.

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Eeek! You'll do great though

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Yup

21 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Dh did some of the upgrades to the coop.  We added a metal roof, it looks so good!  Moved the chickens outside today.  Beautiful day for their first time outside.   Got a few plants. pots, and seeds.  I need to fully clean the garage now that there is more room with them being outside. 

Isn't it great to be back outside!

• Like 2

Well, our tax refund finally came, over two months after we filed.  We paid off the sprinter van and had the inside detailed to get it ready to sell, but before we even cleaned the outside or took pictures to list it, some acquaintances heard we were going to sell it and said they want to buy it at what we were hoping to get out of it.  We are just waiting on the title arriving in the mail to finish the transaction.

Once that is done, we will pay off the rest of the loan my parents gave us last year during our family’s crisis, and have $8500 remaining.  We are taking care of all the paperwork now to refinance our house with some of that.  This will lower our interest rate by .5% and eliminate our PMI.  In a very pleasant surprise, the loan person from the bank told me that their system says our house is worth $70K more now than when we bought it almost two years ago.  I knew home values were going crazy, but that was way beyond what I had thought.

Enough will be left from that to pay off the last non-mortgage/law school debt item early: $1500 on a zero-interest loan to replace our furnace.  The last of the tax return will go into the bed fund, as dh and I really need a new mattress.

I am so excited to hit these goals!  We will be in a strong position to start knocking out law school debt even faster and putting more towards savings, as these things will clear $850+ from the monthly budget all told.

• Like 5