Menu

April Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

10 minutes ago, saraha said:

Actually, its dh and dd17 for her 18th birthday, but yes they are! She is super excited. Just this morning dh and I were talking about whether he thought it would be worth the risk to take our 8 passenger van that they could sleep in if they need to, or to rent something small. The van would definitely need to be checked out by mechanic before even considering it since it is 20 years old and 150,000 miles!

Oh sorry about that.  Are they going soon?  Are they camping the whole time?  That is a long drive from where you guys are.  

I am trying to get some motivation to plan some summer trips or something.  I was into it for a bit and then didn't plan anything really.  UGH.  A road trip sounds so good after spending the whole year at home. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh sorry about that.  Are they going soon?  Are they camping the whole time?  That is a long drive from where you guys are.  

I am trying to get some motivation to plan some summer trips or something.  I was into it for a bit and then didn't plan anything really.  UGH.  A road trip sounds so good after spending the whole year at home. 

They are taking 8 days and camping all the way there and back, doing outside only activities and food. I think they are actually spending one night at the end point, before turning around and coming back! Its all in the journey... anyway, they are going in August. I can't remember where you are but we have some real natural beauty around here...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for finishing school so early!!  What are your girls doing on their long summer break?  Do you wait until August or Sept to start back? 

That is crazy!  I have no idea if that is normal or not, but that seems nuts on their end.  

Actually, we will start July 1st or 5th. We end early because we start early. I'd rather be off in spring when it is nice and school in the peak of the summer heat. 

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Actually, its dh and dd17 for her 18th birthday, but yes they are! She is super excited. Just this morning dh and I were talking about whether he thought it would be worth the risk to take our 8 passenger van that they could sleep in if they need to, or to rent something small. The van would definitely need to be checked out by mechanic before even considering it since it is 20 years old and 150,000 miles!

That is awesome, it is beautiful out that way.

We'll be doing a road trip this summer but only about 10 hrs or so (one way). We'll be taking my van. It is 16 yrs old and 150k miles but in good mechanical condition.

• Like 3

I got both of the new shirts I ordered, and they both work! That's wonderful as I am not always easy to fit clothing-wise. I am ready to start my new job tomorrow.

Used up one of the bag of meatballs I got in the farmer box with an easy Instant Pot BBQ meatball recipe. Served it with baked potatoes that also came in the box. Made up some pudding and jello cups today in single serving sizes. 

DD took the ACT test on Saturday; she said it went well. Scores usually take a couple weeks, so we'll see when they come in how it all shook out. 

DH and I trimmed some trees, but I didn't uncover the garden because we're supposed to have flurries (!!) tomorrow. 

Yay for all of the road trips! We'll just be road tripping to and from DD's college - no real trips planned. 

I saw this about the new child tax credit today. It looks like the IRS' monthly payments are a go for July:   https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/child-tax-credit-2021-monthly-payments-starting-in-july-heres-what-to-know/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

I got both of the new shirts I ordered, and they both work! That's wonderful as I am not always easy to fit clothing-wise. I am ready to start my new job tomorrow.

Used up one of the bag of meatballs I got in the farmer box with an easy Instant Pot BBQ meatball recipe. Served it with baked potatoes that also came in the box. Made up some pudding and jello cups today in single serving sizes. 

DD took the ACT test on Saturday; she said it went well. Scores usually take a couple weeks, so we'll see when they come in how it all shook out. 

DH and I trimmed some trees, but I didn't uncover the garden because we're supposed to have flurries (!!) tomorrow. 

Yay for all of the road trips! We'll just be road tripping to and from DD's college - no real trips planned. 

I saw this about the new child tax credit today. It looks like the IRS' monthly payments are a go for July:   https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/child-tax-credit-2021-monthly-payments-starting-in-july-heres-what-to-know/

Thanks to the CTC info.  Off to go read.

Yeah you are probably tired of road trips going back and forth for to college. 

I hope dd did well on the ACTs. 

Snow!  I want to have some.  We are looking like it is going south to you guys instead.

Good luck at your job tomorrow!!!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Actually, we will start July 1st or 5th. We end early because we start early. I'd rather be off in spring when it is nice and school in the peak of the summer heat. 

That is awesome, it is beautiful out that way.

We'll be doing a road trip this summer but only about 10 hrs or so (one way). We'll be taking my van. It is 16 yrs old and 150k miles but in good mechanical condition.

Oh that is smart!  I get spring fever around now and some much less motivated to do school.  Working when it is hot and gross outside is awesome. 

Where are you going on your road trip?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh one of the kids ruined a brand new pair of pants with nail polish.  Anyone know of a way to get nail polish off clothes?  Of course they didn't say anything and it was washed and dried.  

Sorry. I'd google but I'd be shocked if you could get that out.

____________-

Dh ended up going in to town 2x yesterday because no project can be simple. More supplies for the outside faucets and then diesel for the tractor than out. Then another order to Amazon last night for another filter and pump because he didn't get ones for the push mower. I need to reconcile the budget again. Tis the season for lots of spending on the yard and house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh one of the kids ruined a brand new pair of pants with nail polish.  Anyone know of a way to get nail polish off clothes?  Of course they didn't say anything and it was washed and dried.  

Oh that is so frustrating!

• Like 2

The bills have started coming in for all of dh’s procedures, he about had a heart attack. I told him he will have to start calling since it doesn’t look like insurance is paying saying it was out of state?!? It was definitely not out of state...

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, saraha said:

The bills have started coming in for all of dh’s procedures, he about had a heart attack. I told him he will have to start calling since it doesn’t look like insurance is paying saying it was out of state?!? It was definitely not out of state...

Oh no.  What a mess.  I hate dealing with insurance.  I hope you get it all figured out.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

You guys I am finally in the queue to talk to a real person at the IRS!! Shall we take bets on how long I'm on hold for?  It said 10 to 15 minutes but I'm pretty skeptical

Let us know!!  That is amazing!   Maybe because you called right when they opened? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Let us know!!  That is amazing!   Maybe because you called right when they opened? 

Nope I called at 10:30am!  I actually got in to someone.  They have taken all my info and are looking into it while I'm on hold again.  I really can't believe I got in.  It only took being hung up on by the system once today.  Last time I tried I was hung up on by the system 10 times and then I gave up and decided I'd try another day

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, saraha said:

I'm sorry. Insurance is a total PITA. Make sure you make a note of who you talked to and when and get the reference number to the call. If they don't fix it the first time make sure you ask to speak to a supervisor. I had to do that with some declined claims last year (they said it wasn't a covered service- it was). I only regret that I called 3 previous times before upgrading it. Make sure to get a timeline on when it will be fixed and watch it like a hawk. If it is not fixed when they say call again as soon as that time is up. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Nope I called at 10:30am!  I actually got in to someone.  They have taken all my info and are looking into it while I'm on hold again.  I really can't believe I got in.  It only took being hung up on by the system once today.  Last time I tried I was hung up on by the system 10 times and then I gave up and decided I'd try another day

Awesome.  You must just be lucky today.   Go buy a lottery ticket.  🙂

I hope they can give you some info.  Are you waiting on your stimulus or refund?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soror said:

Good luck! @hjffkj You almost make me want to call today and see if I got lucky too but I've got other things to take care of today. Maybe I'll try this week.

If you don't know this, follow this prompt to get put in the queue. It does not get you in the queue every time.  I kept getting to the end of the prompts and then got told the call volume was too high and they hung up.  This time I got in the queue!

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/how-to-talk-to-a-real-human-at-the-irs-without-waiting-1842128259

Edit: forgot link

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Awesome.  You must just be lucky today.   Go buy a lottery ticket.  🙂

I hope they can give you some info.  Are you waiting on your stimulus or refund?

Waiting for the refund.  She said the issue was that our return got flag for possible errors and sent to a different department.  She says this year the most likely reason for this that isn't an actual error is the line claiming part of the stimulus, which we filled because out youngest was born this year so didn't get any of hers.  The time frame for that is within 10 weeks, we are 40 days into that.  So, she said if we don't get our refund or hear from them within the next 4 to 5 weeks to call again.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, saraha said:

I’m sorry you have to deal with it at all, but hopefully it’s an easy fix.  I’ve been billed for “out of network” for doctors inside my in-network hospital and also billed full price for my ectopic surgery because the hospital accidentally marked me as male.  They all worked out in the end, but what a pain!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

If you don't know this, follow this prompt to get put in the queue. It does not get you in the queue every time.  I kept getting to the end of the prompts and then got told the call volume was too high and they hung up.  This time I got in the queue!

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/how-to-talk-to-a-real-human-at-the-irs-without-waiting-1842128259

Edit: forgot link

Thanks for the link. I'd not looked up calling them at all. I'll save this for when I'm feeling up to calling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saraha said:

@historically accurate hope your first day went well!!!

It did! Thanks for thinking of me.

Today, I entered all my info into ADP, paid and filed a few bills, and toured their very messy file and storage rooms. I think it will be a good job, although I am a little overwhelmed with getting up to speed as the lady training me just stepped into the role because their last bookkeeper left, so she's a little clueless too. 

Tomorrow, I have to scan some statements, set up my voicemail, and count out the register. That's all I know of anyway. I'm home and watching some Quickbooks tutorials because trainer isn't really familiar with it and I haven't used it in 20 years. There were a couple of things today that I was thinking, "There has to be a better way."

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Today, I entered all my info into ADP, paid and filed a few bills, and toured their very messy file and storage rooms. I think it will be a good job, although I am a little overwhelmed with getting up to speed as the lady training me just stepped into the role because their last bookkeeper left, so she's a little clueless too. 

Tomorrow, I have to scan some statements, set up my voicemail, and count out the register. That's all I know of anyway. I'm home and watching some Quickbooks tutorials because trainer isn't really familiar with it and I haven't used it in 20 years. There were a couple of things today that I was thinking, "There has to be a better way."

Yay I am glad you had a good day and that you think it is going to be a good job!  

I sure you will get into your groove there in a a few weeks.  New jobs are always overwhelming at first. 

• Like 2

We just hit $1000 gross for the month, which is about $600 net! So, it is looking like we are on track for netting $1000.  We'll see.  We've been making a great dent in out pile to list but an old student of dh's just gave him a bunch of board games for free.  She said, keep what you want and get rid of the rest.  We put a few aside as gifts and stocking stuffers and are listing the rest.  

• Like 5

DS2 had his wisdom teeth out on Friday.  When we checked in they said I would have to make payment even though they didn't know what it was at the moment. Basically they would run it while they treated him and I needed to pay when it was time for him to leave.  I realized I had left the HSA card at home (they only gave us 1 card and DH used it last), so even though we were suppose to wait on site in case of emergency, I ran home (it was only 8 minutes each way) to grab the card.  When DS is finished, they have me go back so I can hear the postop instructions.  The ordered 3 medicines for DS, one for pain, one for nausea, and one mouth rinse to help prevent infection.  The mouth rinse was required the other 2 were a fill if you need them.  DS had to ride out in a wheelchair so they had me exit a different door so I could tell where the drive up was (it's not at the front entrance).  So I never ended up going past the front desk after his appointment and thus didn't pay.  Of course if I hadn't run home, then I would have needed the card.

Took DS home.  I had to go to work so told told DH to pick up the prescription but to only have the mouth rinse filled.  I know DS has a high pain tolerance and it was very unlikely he would need anything beyond ibuprofen and if he did, it would be easy enough to fill later.  DS was completely out of it and DH asked if it hurt.  DS said yes, so DH took that as "I need pain medicine" and went and filled that part of the prescription too.  You can't drive on the pain medicine and because of that DS wanted nothing to do with the prescription stuff because he had places he wanted to go.  So that was wasted money.  I'm annoyed at DH for not following my directions because I knew DS would never take that medicine.  

Between the school lunches and the farmers boxes we are swimming in milk so I've made a major effort to use up milk.  Today I made pancakes (5 cups of milk), 2 batches of baked custard (10 cups), yogurt (1 gallon plus 6 cups), ice cream (1/2 gallon chocolate milk), pretzel buns (2 cups of milk) and those instant rice packages (another 2 cups of milk).  We are now down to just under 2 gallons of milk left.  School lunch pickup is tomorrow so I'll probably keep pushing milk for a bit.

I did make hamburgers for supper tonight so we used up a few pieces of the cheese slices we got in the farmer's boxes.  We had huge salads first because I needed to use up the lettuce from last week's school lunches so we didn't eat as many hamburgers as I would have liked but we will get more used up when we eat the leftovers tomorrow.

My plan for this week is to skip grocery shopping and focus on using up some of the things  around the house.  I'm working at least 4 days this week so this is also a time saving measure if I can cut out an errand.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, saraha said:

Great job using all that milk! You probably already know this but you can freeze pancakes if you run out of ideas

If I could ever stand long enough to make enough pancakes to be that far ahead, than yes I would freeze them.  As it is, if everyone is home to eat pancakes, it takes about 2 hours to fry enough for everyone and that is using my large electric griddle that holds twice as much as my normal fry pans.  Needless to say, pancakes is not something I ever make ahead.  

• Like 3

I’m going to use some of those milk ideas!

We’ve been using less and less milk lately, so I switched from gallons to half gallons. We were short by 1 day, so I asked dh to pick up a half gallon and forgot to take it off my walmart order.  I also told myself I was going to switch from typical coffee creamer to flavor syrup and skim milk, then changed my mind. So I removed the syrup but forgot to remove the skim milk.

Now I have two half gallons of whole and a half gallon of skim. In a house where we average half a gallon a week. Sigh.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

If I could ever stand long enough to make enough pancakes to be that far ahead, than yes I would freeze them.  As it is, if everyone is home to eat pancakes, it takes about 2 hours to fry enough for everyone and that is using my large electric griddle that holds twice as much as my normal fry pans.  Needless to say, pancakes is not something I ever make ahead.  

I just made sheet pan pancakes last week because I was feeling lazy and didn't want to stand and flip. It's a slightly different texture, but my kids actually liked it more than regular flip pancakes. I put blueberries in a third, strawberries in a third, and left the last third plain. I assume you could freeze this style as well. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Things are always a bit rough at the beginning. I bet you'll get them straightened out.

• Like 4

I have a milk crazy house here.  I don't drink that much and honestly don't like it much.  I like white milk in oatmeal or cereal.  I drink chocolate sometimes.  But my kids and dh drink so much.  Actually my kids drink less than they did when they were younger.  But we normally go through 9-12 galloons a week.   The milk from these free programs is always gone at our house. 

Picked up free meals and crafts yesterday.

Got my new furniture for the mudroom yesterday and put it together and redid the room.  It will really help with the all the coats and shoes problem.  So that is a win. 

We have been looking at houses a lot lately.  I am always looking.  But I think dh is wanting to pull the trigger.  Of course the ones that I liked that went live on Friday  now have offers.  I think I have realized that the price we want to pay, I am not going to get everything that I want.  And I have to figure out what is really important to us.  Bigger house, more bedrooms, more land, closer to work, closer to activities, university town, or something else? 

I have been also talking to builders.  I need to figure out the steps on how to get this done if we are really going to do it.   We still really can't figure out where we want to live. 

The ballet school my kids go to went back in person yesterday.  Really small classes and masks.  We didn't opt to go back in person because we were worried about rising cases with new strains.  Our state has risen, but it hasn't seen the same huge spikes as the states around us.  Kind of blows my mind.  I now sort of regret not going in person.  But my the drive is crazy and my older kids said it wasn't worth going in person vs being at home with the changes of the class.  I think if we lived closer we probably would have.    We love our life right now without the commute.  So much better for all of us.   For sure saves us a ton of money. 

• Like 2

Just saw this on Moneysavingmom

Walmart Grocery Service is currently offering new and existing customers $20 off any $75 purchase when you use the promo code FRESHAPR at checkout!

You can also use the following promo codes to score $10 off any $50 purchase:

TIMEBACK – $10 off first $50 order (new customers; limited time)

WOWFRESH – $10 off first $50 order (new customers; limited time)

FRESHCAR – Free home delivery on $50 order, up to $9.95 value

Walmart Grocery Pickup Coupons are valid for new customers only.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have a milk crazy house here.  I don't drink that much and honestly don't like it much.  I like white milk in oatmeal or cereal.  I drink chocolate sometimes.  But my kids and dh drink so much.  Actually my kids drink less than they did when they were younger.  But we normally go through 9-12 galloons a week.   The milk from these free programs is always gone at our house. 

Picked up free meals and crafts yesterday.

Got my new furniture for the mudroom yesterday and put it together and redid the room.  It will really help with the all the coats and shoes problem.  So that is a win. 

We have been looking at houses a lot lately.  I am always looking.  But I think dh is wanting to pull the trigger.  Of course the ones that I liked that went live on Friday  now have offers.  I think I have realized that the price we want to pay, I am not going to get everything that I want.  And I have to figure out what is really important to us.  Bigger house, more bedrooms, more land, closer to work, closer to activities, university town, or something else? 

I have been also talking to builders.  I need to figure out the steps on how to get this done if we are really going to do it.   We still really can't figure out where we want to live. 

The ballet school my kids go to went back in person yesterday.  Really small classes and masks.  We didn't opt to go back in person because we were worried about rising cases with new strains.  Our state has risen, but it hasn't seen the same huge spikes as the states around us.  Kind of blows my mind.  I now sort of regret not going in person.  But my the drive is crazy and my older kids said it wasn't worth going in person vs being at home with the changes of the class.  I think if we lived closer we probably would have.    We love our life right now without the commute.  So much better for all of us.   For sure saves us a ton of money. 

Not having a commute was nice. If my brother and I didn't share the responsibility of getting the kids to dance we would have likely stayed at home. The commute just being 2 days a week right now isn't too bad

• Like 2

Just now, hjffkj said:

Not having a commute was nice. If my brother and I didn't share the responsibility of getting the kids to dance we would have likely stayed at home. The commute just being 2 days a week right now isn't too bad

How far away is dance for you?  Yeah we started at 2 days a week back in 2018.  Before Covid we were 6 or 7 days a week.  7 when there were shows going on. 

My jaw is on the floor. Not in a judgey way, lol, but in a Daaaaaang, I was going nuts at our height of 2-3 gallons/week way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been also talking to builders.  I need to figure out the steps on how to get this done if we are really going to do it.   We still really can't figure out where we want to live

Oh, and the building process is driving me crazy.  Worth it, because there are no houses to buy, but I’m already sick of being stressed. And still won’t have a house for what feels like forever at the moment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My jaw is on the floor. Not in a judgey way, lol, but in a Daaaaaang, I was going nuts at our height of 2-3 gallons/week way!

Yep, it has been like that forever.  And we don't even cook with milk or anything.   It is all drinking and cereal and oatmeal.  But that is what everyone eats about 95% of the time for breakfast. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Oh, and the building process is driving me crazy.  Worth it, because there are no houses to buy, but I’m already sick of being stressed. And still won’t have a house for what feels like forever at the moment.

We built the house we live in now.  But it was just go to a builder that had their own subdivisions.  Pick a model and the few things you could customize.  Honestly I had almost nothing to do with it because I was so exhausted with our first baby that never slept.  

I would imagine doing it the way you are is a lot more work and stress. 

I have found a few houses that I like and they are all gone within 2 days.  It is just so crazy in our area.  We are not in a big city or hot area.  I would imagine that houses have multiple offers and things like that.  So buying a home is probably not easy.  There was one that I was considering that sat for like 9 months.  But I really hated the open loft and walkway on the second floor.  So dangerous even though our kids are getting older.  

Just saw this on Moneysavingmom

Walmart Grocery Service is currently offering new and existing customers $20 off any $75 purchase when you use the promo code FRESHAPR at checkout!

You can also use the following promo codes to score $10 off any $50 purchase:

TIMEBACK – $10 off first $50 order (new customers; limited time)

WOWFRESH – $10 off first $50 order (new customers; limited time)

FRESHCAR – Free home delivery on $50 order, up to $9.95 value

Walmart Grocery Pickup Coupons are valid for new customers only.

Mommy, can you tell how long that Walmart code lasts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

Mommy, can you tell how long that Walmart code lasts?

Not sure.  I don't see anything about that.

Walmart Grocery Pickup Coupon (Get $10 Off!!) | Money Saving Mom® : Money Saving Mom®

My dh just tried it and couldn't get it to work.  I am not saying it doesn't work, but he had an issue with it.    Boo

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Not sure.  I don't see anything about that.

Walmart Grocery Pickup Coupon (Get $10 Off!!) | Money Saving Mom® : Money Saving Mom®

My dh just tried it and couldn't get it to work.  I am not saying it doesn't work, but he had an issue with it.    Boo

I tried it, too, and it didn't work.  Oh well!  

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

UGH that subdivision that we wanted to build in that honestly was in a great location, has a ton of HOA rules that I don't think we would want to deal with.   Poop.

ugh that sucks so much. Is the subdivision entirely new or is it just adding houses to another part? Because I'd be inclined to talk to as many neighbors as possible if it is a completely new build and see how people feel about having the HOA dissolved after the development is done

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

ugh that sucks so much. Is the subdivision entirely new or is it just adding houses to another part? Because I'd be inclined to talk to as many neighbors as possible if it is a completely new build and see how people feel about having the HOA dissolved after the development is done

It is an entirely new subdivision built by one builder.  There are not that many houses there currently

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It is an entirely new subdivision built by one builder.  There are not that many houses there currently

well then that is a gamble.  But it is possible to dissolve an HOA once the developer is out of the picture.