Menu

April Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

1 minute ago, Soror said:

I'm sorry you have a migraine I hope it passes soon.

No refund or stimulus here. Refund is still processing and info on stimulus is not available.

Good luck!

I should be paid by tomorrow.

Making a grocery list today.

Got back $20 from endodontist from where we were overcharged due to the deductible being applied to a different visit. I had to send $20 to the HSA to reimburse for that so it is a wash.

Got our "new" grill from my parents. It is a 6 burner gas grill with a side burner and rotisserie. A burner or two is out and the rotisserie needs a new cord. No idea how much those will cost but it is perfectly usable as is and I've got enough to spend money on right now. 

Dh forgot to measure for the pipes he needed yesterday so will be buying those today (I think).

Wow, that is crazy.  I am sorry.   You are at almost 2 months on the taxes.  I hope it gets worked out soon.  Did you have other issues getting the other stimulus checks?  Do you do direct deposit?   I was talking to someone this weekend and they got the 3 stimulus checks 3 different ways.  So odd.    Ours were all dd.  

I hope you get all the $$ soon.  That would be so frustrating. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, that is crazy.  I am sorry.   You are at almost 2 months on the taxes.  I hope it gets worked out soon.  Did you have other issues getting the other stimulus checks?  Do you do direct deposit?   I was talking to someone this weekend and they got the 3 stimulus checks 3 different ways.  So odd.    Ours were all dd.  

I hope you get all the $$ soon.  That would be so frustrating. 

My last ones came very quickly via direct deposit. We're just lucky this time!

1 minute ago, Soror said:

My last ones came very quickly via direct deposit. We're just lucky this time!

Very odd.  Ugh.  I am sorry.  Have you kept your eye on your mail incase they sent you a card this time?  That is what happened to the person I talked to this last time.  

I'm trying to catch up on everyone's posts but I've been super busy trying to distract myself the last few days.  Dh had his first interview yesterday and his second interview is in 20 minutes so I'm just a ball of anxiety.  We aren't even sure if there will be another round of interviews.  The interviewers yesterday told dh they hadn't decided yet.  The waiting is the hardest part

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I'm trying to catch up on everyone's posts but I've been super busy trying to distract myself the last few days.  Dh had his first interview yesterday and his second interview is in 20 minutes so I'm just a ball of anxiety.  We aren't even sure if there will be another round of interviews.  The interviewers yesterday told dh they hadn't decided yet.  The waiting is the hardest part

Ugh, yep waiting is the hardest part.  But it sounds like it is moving really fast.    Sending some good luck his way.  Great sign he  made it to the second round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for deals.   Congrats on launching your ds!   Great work momma!

How is your dh doing?   I hope the bills are low and insurance covers lots of it.   I always dread the medical bills when things happen too.  It is so annoying to have no idea how much you are really going to be charged.  

Thank you! He filled out like 25 applications after he graduated last spring, but God was in it because it is an hour away and in a walkable neighborhood (he doesn’t drive)with an apartment complex three blocks from his job. He is our aspie that we weren’t sure would ever move out, but he has come such a long way. He is far enough away to feel independent, but close enough that we can help him, so quasi independent. God is so good.

dh went back to work 🙄I made him a patch he can slide on and off his glasses covering the bad eye because without it he has double vision. They finally have the medicine worked out I think, but they are not too optimistic about his sight in that eye. We’ll just have to wait and see. They are going to check in a month about lasering the other eye so he is on light duty at least til then. They also told him he would probably need cataract surgery in 9 months on that eye. I guess that’s very common after retinal surgery

Edited by saraha
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Praying!

• Like 3

DD still has her braces. He now says next month will be the final month of normal appointments. He's pushing back the taking off of braces until July though. She has a space where they pulled a tooth to make room that just won't close - he says he will keep them on until July in the hopes it will close 100%. She has a new set of rubber bands for the next 4 weeks. She's less upset than I thought she would be, probably because he told her they have a new scanner they will use to make the retainer rather than the goopy impression mold that always makes her throw up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Thank you! He filled out like 25 applications after he graduated last spring, but God was in it because it is an hour away and in a walkable neighborhood (he doesn’t drive)with an apartment complex three blocks from his job. He is our aspie that we weren’t sure would ever move out, but he has come such a long way. He is far enough away to feel independent, but close enough that we can help him, so quasi independent. God is so good.

dh went back to work 🙄I made him a patch he can slide on and off his glasses covering the bad eye because without it he has double vision. They finally have the medicine worked out I think, but they are not too optimistic about his sight in that eye. We’ll just have to wait and see. They are going to check in a month about lasering the other eye so he is on light duty at least til then. They also told him he would probably need cataract surgery in 9 months on that eye. I guess that’s very common after retinal surgery

Wow, that is so wonderful how it worked out for your son!  Landing the perfect job during a pandemic?   I am glad it all worked out so well.  Good luck to him.  

I am sad to hear that the doctor isn't optimistic about your dh's sight.  I am glad the meds are working out. I am sorry to hear that he needs another surgery.  I am still sending prayers that his sight comes back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hoping for good things for you all!   Job offers, dh's sight, fencing issues, dance payments, all of it!    

dh is getting supper tonite.  I have been through it mentally, for the past week, but there's an end in sight.  Unfortunately there's no way I can cook tonight since I took something, but idc.  Today has turned out to be a wonderful day and we need to celebrate a little. 

both dogs get booties and nails done Thursday.

I may drive down to see my mom in the next couple days, but I may wait til next week.   I painted her a picture of dogs at the beach and I need to give it to her.   She's now requested a large flamingo for over her bed.  🤦🏻‍♀️😆

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, hjffkj said:
  1. interview is over, he felt it went well.  We'll know the next steps sometime next week.  Now how do I distract myself until then?

TV.  Chocolate.  

Dh has almost constant stuff going at work and it has been like that for a decade or so.  Possible things at other places or just within where he works. Most of it he doesn't bring up to me anymore because I am type A person and when they ask him about moving overseas or other cities I start planning everything.  Honestly I really like that he doesn't bring up all the different things to me.  He will tell me about things if I ask or if things get serious.  But other than that I don't get involved in all the chats he has.  And even when I know things are going on, I just relax about it because sometimes it isn't a straight line to the movement.  So I guess I have relaxed more in the years and don't get so worked up about everything anymore. 

Fingers crossed for you dh.  I am glad he felt it went so well!

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Hoping for good things for you all!   Job offers, dh's sight, fencing issues, dance payments, all of it!    

dh is getting supper tonite.  I have been through it mentally, for the past week, but there's an end in sight.  Unfortunately there's no way I can cook tonight since I took something, but idc.  Today has turned out to be a wonderful day and we need to celebrate a little. 

both dogs get booties and nails done Thursday.

I may drive down to see my mom in the next couple days, but I may wait til next week.   I painted her a picture of dogs at the beach and I need to give it to her.   She's now requested a large flamingo for over her bed.  🤦🏻‍♀️😆

Sending some gentle hugs.  I hope everything is ok.  Glad there is an end in sight.

Oh wow, you must be a great artist!  Fun.

Got the chickens listed, so hopefully they sell quickly.  We are doing some upgrades to the coop for the girls that we are keeping. 

Dh is picking up the grocery order.  I think he is buying tires for the van.  

Picked up meals.  

I had some other things to do, that I didn't get done.  On the list for Wed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

TV.  Chocolate.  

Dh has almost constant stuff going at work and it has been like that for a decade or so.  Possible things at other places or just within where he works. Most of it he doesn't bring up to me anymore because I am type A person and when they ask him about moving overseas or other cities I start planning everything.  Honestly I really like that he doesn't bring up all the different things to me.  He will tell me about things if I ask or if things get serious.  But other than that I don't get involved in all the chats he has.  And even when I know things are going on, I just relax about it because sometimes it isn't a straight line to the movement.  So I guess I have relaxed more in the years and don't get so worked up about everything anymore. 

Fingers crossed for you dh.  I am glad he felt it went so well!

Once he is in a salaried position, which this one will be I think I won't care anymore.  Basically, when he switched careers last year he took a pay cut in total dollars that was coming to us but not when you calculated the amount he was making per hour because his hours were ridiculous at the previous job, whereas this one is 40. Once he gets to a salaried position the pay bump will replace what we gave up and then quite a bit more.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Once he is in a salaried position, which this one will be I think I won't care anymore.  Basically, when he switched careers last year he took a pay cut in total dollars that was coming to us but not when you calculated the amount he was making per hour because his hours were ridiculous at the previous job, whereas this one is 40. Once he gets to a salaried position the pay bump will replace what we gave up and then quite a bit more.

Good luck to him it sounds like a great position and move for him.  How many people made it to the second round?  Were the other people internal?  Is his boss the one deciding about the position?    I hope that they will let you know quickly since everything else moved so fast.

Dh has never worked hourly since we have been married.  I sometimes wish he did, because he works a lot of hours sometimes.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some gentle hugs.  I hope everything is ok.  Glad there is an end in sight.

Oh wow, you must be a great artist!  Fun.

Got the chickens listed, so hopefully they sell quickly.  We are doing some upgrades to the coop for the girls that we are keeping. 

Dh is picking up the grocery order.  I think he is buying tires for the van.  

Picked up meals.  

I had some other things to do, that I didn't get done.  On the list for Wed.

That's describes my last 2 days well,  always something that gets bumped to the next day.  I spent over an hour today trying to figure out logistics to get DS's wisdom teeth removed.  He's an adult so every phone call is this carefully orchestrated dance to get the information I need without them violating HIPPA.  Finally got the details worked out about where he can go and get referral info sent.  Call the oral surgery to schedule appointment to discover they closed at 4.  I called at 4:01.  Now that's on tomorrow's list.  But I did learn it's going to be run through medical not dental. We switched to a High deductible plan this year, so that's means it's probably going to be all out of pocket, but at least we fully funded the HSA this year so it's at least doesn't have to come out of the working budget.

They did about half the fence on my side today.  It's so much better than what I was expecting.  They started it about 4-6 inches behind the old one so there is a gap between their's and mine on the front.  But since mine is just pounded in stakes, I think I can pull the end couple of stakes and turn it enough to close the gap, worst case, I have to buy another panel and redo the placement of the stakes(the front section is panels not the rolled wire on like the the other sides because it's only about 15 feet and I hadn't wanted to buy another roll of wire for that space).  There are spots under the fence but so far none big enough that my dog can immediately run under.  He could definitely wriggle under and since he's part rat terrier digging is in his nature but I think I can either bring in some dirt and fill those areas or perhaps cover it with some bricks, planters, rocks or something of that nature.  The back half has a bit more of a slope so I might still have issues but so far it's looking like I won't have to run a fence the entire length at least.  So I'm not getting off without any work/$ involved, it's looking better than my initial estimate.

The last of my new window coverings arrived today and I got those installed.  So all the updates inside the house have been completed with the exception of painting and new carpeting in the master bedroom.  I've been holding off on that because if we can get the addition figured out, I want every penny possible to go to paying for that.

Tomorrow I pick up the school lunches, go grocery shopping and have to call about the windshield replacement and get DS's wisdom teeth appointment made. I really need to make time to go through paperwork because I have this huge stack on my desk and I suspect there is more things that need to be taken care of in there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

That's describes my last 2 days well,  always something that gets bumped to the next day.  I spent over an hour today trying to figure out logistics to get DS's wisdom teeth removed.  He's an adult so every phone call is this carefully orchestrated dance to get the information I need without them violating HIPPA.  Finally got the details worked out about where he can go and get referral info sent.  Call the oral surgery to schedule appointment to discover they closed at 4.  I called at 4:01.  Now that's on tomorrow's list.  But I did learn it's going to be run through medical not dental. We switched to a High deductible plan this year, so that's means it's probably going to be all out of pocket, but at least we fully funded the HSA this year so it's at least doesn't have to come out of the working budget.

They did about half the fence on my side today.  It's so much better than what I was expecting.  They started it about 4-6 inches behind the old one so there is a gap between their's and mine on the front.  But since mine is just pounded in stakes, I think I can pull the end couple of stakes and turn it enough to close the gap, worst case, I have to buy another panel and redo the placement of the stakes(the front section is panels not the rolled wire on like the the other sides because it's only about 15 feet and I hadn't wanted to buy another roll of wire for that space).  There are spots under the fence but so far none big enough that my dog can immediately run under.  He could definitely wriggle under and since he's part rat terrier digging is in his nature but I think I can either bring in some dirt and fill those areas or perhaps cover it with some bricks, planters, rocks or something of that nature.  The back half has a bit more of a slope so I might still have issues but so far it's looking like I won't have to run a fence the entire length at least.  So I'm not getting off without any work/$ involved, it's looking better than my initial estimate.

The last of my new window coverings arrived today and I got those installed.  So all the updates inside the house have been completed with the exception of painting and new carpeting in the master bedroom.  I've been holding off on that because if we can get the addition figured out, I want every penny possible to go to paying for that.

Tomorrow I pick up the school lunches, go grocery shopping and have to call about the windshield replacement and get DS's wisdom teeth appointment made. I really need to make time to go through paperwork because I have this huge stack on my desk and I suspect there is more things that need to be taken care of in there.

Isn't it the truth?  Must be a mom thing.  I work all day, but there is just always more stuff to do.  I just wish there was an end and I could sit back and enjoy my efforts.  I feel like my house should be 100% done being home for 13 months.  But instead there is way more work to be done.

Glad the fence is working out better than you thought at first. 

Oh I bet your windows look great.  I need to finish some of the bedrooms with new blinds.  I love it so much more than having curtains.  

Sounds like a busy day tomorrow too!  Never ends.   Glad you got the wisdom tooth removal figured out.  Everything is such a process.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Good luck to him it sounds like a great position and move for him.  How many people made it to the second round?  Were the other people internal?  Is his boss the one deciding about the position?    I hope that they will let you know quickly since everything else moved so fast.

Dh has never worked hourly since we have been married.  I sometimes wish he did, because he works a lot of hours sometimes.  

It was an internal job offering , no idea how many people applied or even got a first interview. Yes, his boss decides who is hired and his first interview was with her and another person. The one today was with his former manager and the person who told him he should apply because he thinks he's got what the big boss is looking for.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

It was an internal job offering , no idea how many people applied or even got a first interview. Yes, his boss decides who is hired and his first interview was with her and another person. The one today was with his former manager and the person who told him he should apply because he thinks he's got what the big boss is looking for.

Sounds really promising.  

Dh picked up groceries and got a freebie bag.   He didn't end up getting tires because he got there late.  

• Like 2

My interview is over. It went really well. I feel pretty confident that I am a pretty strong candidate after talking to her today. Today was the last day of interviews, so I should hear quickly. Sent my thank you note and my references - ugh, hard to have references when you've been home for 16 years. I ran a co-op for a few years, so my references are my fellow board members from that. 

hjffkj, I hope your DH hears back soon. It does sound very promising.

Nothing else really happening here today. DH got his second shot yesterday, so he took today off in case he had issues - so far just a very sore arm. He is going to run to AutoZone to get some car part that he and my uncle are going to install this weekend. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

My interview is over. It went really well. I feel pretty confident that I am a pretty strong candidate after talking to her today. Today was the last day of interviews, so I should hear quickly. Sent my thank you note and my references - ugh, hard to have references when you've been home for 16 years. I ran a co-op for a few years, so my references are my fellow board members from that. 

Nothing else really happening here today. DH got his second shot yesterday, so he took today off in case he had issues - so far just a very sore arm. He is going to run to AutoZone to get some car part that he and my uncle are going to install this weekend. 

Glad your dh isn't having any vaccine side effects.  Which one did he get? 

Congrats on doing great in the interview.  I hope you get it.   I think being the last one is always best.  Fresh in their minds.  Great that you will hear soon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Glad your dh isn't having any vaccine side effects.  Which one did he get? 

Congrats on doing great in the interview.  I hope you get it.   I think being the last one is always best.  Fresh in their minds.  Great that you will hear soon.

DH got Moderna. He's been icing his arm today, but other than the very sore arm, he's seeming just fine. Not even overly tired - my first shot (also Moderna) I napped the day I got it. He did snore worse than usual last night, so maybe he is a little more tired. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Yay!

• Like 2

Found some savings this morning. DD has to take iron 2x per day. Sometimes I can get the iron (Slow FE to lessen stomach problems) at B1G1 50% off. Today, I noticed she only has a couple of weeks left in the bottle, so I looked to see if the sale was going on. Walgreens only had a coupon for $2 off. Not great, so I decided to do a little search for a lower price. I found a generic brand where the bottle says "Compare to Slow FE" for $2 per month from Amazon. Better than the $19 it runs at Walgreens.

Got some stuff out of the house. I have about 10 things listed on ebay and a few more to list. I gave away a whole bunch of plus sized clothing this morning. Just listed yDD's booster seats on the freebie site.

VIPKid is going to pay me to re-sign my contract this month. $1 -- not very much but for doing nothing, I'll take it. 

Today was payday, so I paid bills. I also cashed in on the Crowdtap and Swagbucks websites, so $30 on Amazon cards for the gift fund. 

• Like 5

On 4/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, historically accurate said:

Good luck on the job!

Bought new Bird unit from G&B for hs science next year as they had a promotion to get the bird journal for free.

Got paid and got some cash back from CC's. Vaca fund at 60.07%

Dh has a part ordered for something, compressor mayber? We'll get the bill when it comes in. That is another $50 or so. Ya!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Soror said:

Good luck on the job!

Bought new Bird unit from G&B for hs science next year as they had a promotion to get the bird journal for free.

Got paid and got some cash back from CC's. Vaca fund at 60.07%

Dh has a part ordered for something, compressor mayber? We'll get the bill when it comes in. That is another $50 or so. Ya!

I like watching your vacay fund go up.   I think when you hit 100%, I'll be hollering for you. 😆

• Like 5

3 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I like watching your vacay fund go up.   I think when you hit 100%, I'll be hollering for you. 😆

Aww! Thanks!

Considering all the expenses and bills we have right now it is nice to see that at least increasing. Everything else is just depressing.

• Like 4

How is everyone's Friday going?  We are doing well for the month.  Dh's paycheck last week paid all of our bills so the next two paychecks this month will go towards savings and food. It is still really strange to be at this point where we don't have to think about money too much and the thinking we do is focused on the future and not the how are we going to afford this now.  We are far from ahead financially but for the first time I can see that as a clear possibility in the next few years. 

Ebay hasn't been as booming as the last two months but we are still selling a few items a week. I doubt we'll net $1000 this month but who knows.  We certainly have the inventory to do it but getting it listed and moving is a different story. We are listing a few things every day but until we make a major dent in our pile we won't be thrifting much.

Dh is still waiting to hear about the position.  Now that the interviews are over we are both much more relaxed.   We have learned of a few of the other people interviewed and dh isn't as confident after hearing about one of the applicants, just a person who has been there a while and is also a huge asset.  But I think we are both in a place where we don't expect him to get the job but will be ok with that.  If he does it will be a HUGE pleasant surprise.  Just trying not to get our hopes up.  He is really content with where he is now so not getting the promotion will be just fine!

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

How is everyone's Friday going?  We are doing well for the month.  Dh's paycheck last week paid all of our bills so the next two paychecks this month will go towards savings and food. It is still really strange to be at this point where we don't have to think about money too much and the thinking we do is focused on the future and not the how are we going to afford this now.  We are far from ahead financially but for the first time I can see that as a clear possibility in the next few years. 

Ebay hasn't been as booming as the last two months but we are still selling a few items a week. I doubt we'll net $1000 this month but who knows.  We certainly have the inventory to do it but getting it listed and moving is a different story. We are listing a few things every day but until we make a major dent in our pile we won't be thrifting much.

Dh is still waiting to hear about the position.  Now that the interviews are over we are both much more relaxed.   We have learned of a few of the other people interviewed and dh isn't as confident after hearing about one of the applicants, just a person who has been there a while and is also a huge asset.  But I think we are both in a place where we don't expect him to get the job but will be ok with that.  If he does it will be a HUGE pleasant surprise.  Just trying not to get our hopes up.  He is really content with where he is now so not getting the promotion will be just fine!

Great to see progress on the money front toward comfortable! That's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? We're not currently there, but we have been in the past. DH took a substantial paycut to work in our lower income area rather than driving 1 1/2 in to the suburbs a couple years ago. I'm still listing things on ebay as well. So far, not a lot selling, but it's worth a shot. Keeping my fingers crossed for your DH's job opportunity.

It's a quiet Friday here. School went by super-super easily - I don't know how it happened, but the kids are almost completely done by noon! One is currently studying for next week's ACT test; the other is finishing math. Neither need me right now (partly why I am looking at a job; I'm feeling mostly superfluous these days). 

The lady I interviewed with on Wednesday contacted both my references yesterday afternoon, which I am taking as a good sign. I hope to hear early next week as she said that April was their year end and she'd like someone in there so they can take over in the new fiscal year. 

I put in my grocery order today; we'll pick it up tonight. It's a low grocery week - we had some extra gasoline expenses this past week, so I'm switching some grocery money to gas.

I got an email that a return made it back to the company, so I'll see that credit soon. I'm going to have to prod another vendor because I haven't gotten my stuff yet. My brother won a gift card to a pet company, so he gave it to me to use - it's been almost 3 weeks and it doesn't show as shipped yet. My kitties need new toys and food bowls LOL!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Great to see progress on the money front toward comfortable! That's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? We're not currently there, but we have been in the past. DH took a substantial paycut to work in our lower income area rather than driving 1 1/2 in to the suburbs a couple years ago. I'm still listing things on ebay as well. So far, not a lot selling, but it's worth a shot. Keeping my fingers crossed for your DH's job opportunity.

It's a quiet Friday here. School went by super-super easily - I don't know how it happened, but the kids are almost completely done by noon! One is currently studying for next week's ACT test; the other is finishing math. Neither need me right now (partly why I am looking at a job; I'm feeling mostly superfluous these days). 

The lady I interviewed with on Wednesday contacted both my references yesterday afternoon, which I am taking as a good sign. I hope to hear early next week as she said that April was their year end and she'd like someone in there so they can take over in the new fiscal year. 

I put in my grocery order today; we'll pick it up tonight. It's a low grocery week - we had some extra gasoline expenses this past week, so I'm switching some grocery money to gas.

I got an email that a return made it back to the company, so I'll see that credit soon. I'm going to have to prod another vendor because I haven't gotten my stuff yet. My brother won a gift card to a pet company, so he gave it to me to use - it's been almost 3 weeks and it doesn't show as shipped yet. My kitties need new toys and food bowls LOL!

Oh getting the references is a really really good sign!!  Yay.

• Like 2

dh was just told that the last part of the interview process will be on tues at 3.  It is a 2 hour assessment over the phone.  No idea what it entails but dh is going to reach out to one of his coaches to try to get the scoop on it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Isn't it odd to get to comfortable?  When we first got married and built our home, we had just enough money to pay all the bills.  We had such little leftover.  I dreamed of getting to where we are now, but didn't really think it was going to happen.  Where we have gotten in 13 years is nuts to me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

dh was just told that the last part of the interview process will be on tues at 3.  It is a 2 hour assessment over the phone.  No idea what it entails but dh is going to reach out to one of his coaches to try to get the scoop on it.

Good luck to him!   

• Like 3

Dh traded in some car seats at Target.  I don't really need any carseats.  We are almost done with that!!!   I remember when I had 5 in them.  But I just wanted them out of the garage.  Walmart one year did a trade in where you got $30 bucks.  But I didn't want to sit on them just incase.  Get the stuff out.

He stopped for a few things at the store.

Hopefully selling some of the chickens on Saturday.   

• Like 3

On 4/8/2021 at 6:52 PM, Soror said:

Aww! Thanks!

Considering all the expenses and bills we have right now it is nice to see that at least increasing. Everything else is just depressing.

Sending some hugs.  I hope things look up soon.  Is it all financial stuff or just life? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Dh traded in some car seats at Target.  I don't really need any carseats.  We are almost done with that!!!   I remember when I had 5 in them.  But I just wanted them out of the garage.  Walmart one year did a trade in where you got $30 bucks.  But I didn't want to sit on them just incase.  Get the stuff out.

He stopped for a few things at the store.

Hopefully selling some of the chickens on Saturday.   

Thanks for the reminder about the car seat trade in.  The baby needs to move out of the bucket seat she is in.  We'll switch her to ds4's current one and get him a new one.  Guess that is one I'm doing on sunday

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some hugs.  I hope things look up soon.  Is it all financial stuff or just life? 

Thanks. Both. Life worries on their own but then life worries leading to massive increase in bills and stress. Yesterday I found out I'll have another 200+ bill this month on top of all the others planned.

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Thanks for the reminder about the car seat trade in.  The baby needs to move out of the bucket seat she is in.  We'll switch her to ds4's current one and get him a new one.  Guess that is one I'm doing on sunday

Any good recs on carseats these days?   I used to be so into it, but not any more.  I used to love Britax seats but they got a lot of bad press and ratings a few years ago.  

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Thanks. Both. Life worries on their own but then life worries leading to massive increase in bills and stress. Yesterday I found out I'll have another 200+ bill this month on top of all the others planned.

Sending some hugs.  I am sorry.  I hope life calms down for you soon. Life is so hard and this last year has been so stressful for everyone.  Being an adult is about zero fun. It is always something happening which of course always means money.  I just want to be a kid again.  

Will your tax refund and stimulus help out the bills stress when you get them (if you haven't already).

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Any good recs on carseats these days?   I used to be so into it, but not any more.  I used to love Britax seats but they got a lot of bad press and ratings a few years ago.  

nope!  I'm sitting here while my girls and nieces/nephew are at dance researching. This is the one my dd6 has and I like that is is narrow and she finds it comfortable. https://www.target.com/p/graco-tranzitions-3-in-1-harness-booster-car-seat-proof/-/A-75557343?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012510679&CPNG=PLA_Baby%2BShopping|Baby_Ecomm_Baby&adgroup=SC_Baby_High%2BMargin&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9007473&targetid=pla-906519975561&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1242884&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmcWDBhCOARIsALgJ2Qfuy4n7q-aFq304Z_wRAzy1-6RYRNo95xdl2KyzVWFnsLeGejPvxAoaAtWPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 

So, I'll likely just end up getting it for ds4 as well and the baby can have his Radian

• Like 1

The time has come for us to start working on my parents' house!! My brother and sil have found a house, directly across the street from us! They have agreed on a price with the own, will talk to their loan officer on Monday and from their they'll get a contract written up.  The seller already has another place so we wants to close as soon as possible.

I'm so excited to get working on the house. If my brother is out in May I want my parents' house listed by early July. Dh and I are going to sit down tonight and talk about a timeline for the things that need to get done. 

With that in mind,  this week will be spent listing ALL our inventory so I don't have unlisted stuff lingering over my shoulders why I work on the other house. Lots to do!! I'm so excited. I love working on houses

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

The time has come for us to start working on my parents' house!! My brother and sil have found a house, directly across the street from us! They have agreed on a price with the own, will talk to their loan officer on Monday and from their they'll get a contract written up.  The seller already has another place so we wants to close as soon as possible.

I'm so excited to get working on the house. If my brother is out in May I want my parents' house listed by early July. Dh and I are going to sit down tonight and talk about a timeline for the things that need to get done. 

With that in mind,  this week will be spent listing ALL our inventory so I don't have unlisted stuff lingering over my shoulders why I work on the other house. Lots to do!! I'm so excited. I love working on houses

Have you thought of doing that?   

Awesome that your parents get to take advantage of this market.  I hope they make a great profit.  

How amazing that your brother found a house right by you.  

Ordered dd some new pointe shoes for half price.  I am not 100% sure we are going to get them as the seller didn't have a lot of feedback.  Fingers crossed.

Just did a HUGE dance order for all the kids.  Not needed, but I am sure it will get used.  I was going to order dd some leos for her b-day anyway and this way everyone got stuff because it was a great sale. 

Ordered some caterpillars to raise.  I was going to do it anyway and the kids got some free ones for their 3rd Christmas.  One of the codes didn't work so I will contact the company later.  

Ordered some free meals for the week. 

• Like 3

Today is baking and snack prepping day. 

• Chocolate pudding cups - used up some chocolate milk from the school & I used the cups the school gives us to make individual servings
  • Marvelous melon - https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/marvelous-melon/ - Used up some Strawberry Banana applesauce that the kids weren't eating. We had gotten some from the free lunches that the kids really liked, so I bought some at Walmart. They didn't like that very much. I'm hoping if it's hidden in the jello, they'll like it.
  • Apple muffins and pistachio muffins for later in the week. 
  • Weight watchers waffles and instant pot egg bites for me for breakfasts. 
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Have you thought of doing that?   

Awesome that your parents get to take advantage of this market.  I hope they make a great profit.  

How amazing that your brother found a house right by you.  

Ordered dd some new pointe shoes for half price.  I am not 100% sure we are going to get them as the seller didn't have a lot of feedback.  Fingers crossed.

Just did a HUGE dance order for all the kids.  Not needed, but I am sure it will get used.  I was going to order dd some leos for her b-day anyway and this way everyone got stuff because it was a great sale. 

Ordered some caterpillars to raise.  I was going to do it anyway and the kids got some free ones for their 3rd Christmas.  One of the codes didn't work so I will contact the company later.  

Ordered some free meals for the week. 

Yes, I have thought about flipping houses. I told dh that I would like to flip a house, either to sell it or keep it as a rental. With the way the market is now finding a good deal isn't easy though so even after my parents' house is sold I'll likely wait for a the market to cool down.

• Like 4

On 4/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, Soror said:

Aww! Thanks!

Sorry finances are an issue for you right now. Hopefully it all gets straightened out.

• Like 2

I went through the budget again and did some adjustments. I've tried keeping more money in the health and vehicle fund but I've had so many expenses there and many more coming. I decided to go ahead and let it go- I've got a little bit left in there but it might well end up zeroed out by the end of the month.. Once we hit deductible it will be much easier and we can build it back up. For now I'm going to be happy if I can cash flow them without hitting any of my other funds. I think after I get my vaca funded I'll use my check to hit the med fund hard so I'm ahead. I want to have it fully funded by next Jan then if I get hit with a huge bill in Jan it is ok I have it covered and then can slowly and steadily build it up through the year instead of hitting most of it in just a few months. That was my goal this year, which has put me in a place to be able to afford this expenses more easily but not quite as much as needed. I expect to replace my washer and dishwasher this year and want to keep this funds growing if I can at all swing it. April and May are going to be tight again, no way around it. But unlike in the fall I have much more saved and am better prepared. We just have to stay the course and next time we get hit hard like this we'll be even better prepared.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Soror said:

I went through the budget again and did some adjustments. I've tried keeping more money in the health and vehicle fund but I've had so many expenses there and many more coming. I decided to go ahead and let it go- I've got a little bit left in there but it might well end up zeroed out by the end of the month.. Once we hit deductible it will be much easier and we can build it back up. For now I'm going to be happy if I can cash flow them without hitting any of my other funds. I think after I get my vaca funded I'll use my check to hit the med fund hard so I'm ahead. I want to have it fully funded by next Jan then if I get hit with a huge bill in Jan it is ok I have it covered and then can slowly and steadily build it up through the year instead of hitting most of it in just a few months. That was my goal this year, which has put me in a place to be able to afford this expenses more easily but not quite as much as needed. I expect to replace my washer and dishwasher this year and want to keep this funds growing if I can at all swing it. April and May are going to be tight again, no way around it. But unlike in the fall I have much more saved and am better prepared. We just have to stay the course and next time we get hit hard like this we'll be even better prepared.

Always great to have a plan and it sounds like you have it figured out.  

Did you get your refund and stimulus yet?

• Like 1

DD sold some her chicks today.

Put in a big Costco order.  But it was a good deal on stuff we eat.

Paid for a intensive for ds today.  He had fun.

Looking at a lot of new furniture.   We didn't order it today, but we will be.  

Oh and I have been buying clothes for growing kids again.  Never stops does it?  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Always great to have a plan and it sounds like you have it figured out.  

Did you get your refund and stimulus yet?

Nope! Or the bonus dh is supposed to get.

I reconciled the budget today (usually do at least a few times a week). Somehow I had messed up the transactions for cashback on my CC's. Not sure what I was thinking. Got that all lined out and all transactions entered. Need to make a grocery list and menu for tomorrow.

I still need to make an inventory and list of spring clothes. Ds probably doesn't need much of anything but socks. Dd1 will go through her own things and tell me. The younger two I need to look at.

Prime membership costs go through this week but I've already got it saved and set a goal for next year starting in May.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2