Menu

Does your family eat whole wheat bread?

matrips

8 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I believe that people need to eat healthy. But I also think there needs to be certain non-negotiables for people to make eating healthy not sound like a punishment.

For me it is rice, white rice. I come from a family of diabetics, it is a ticking clock for when I get it, not if. So I have had to battle nutritionists who always advice me to change to brown rice or cauliflower rice. *gag*. I could not and I will not. I made compromises with the amount of rice as in a cup a day though I can put away more. The type of rice, as in lower G.I.Rice. But it has to be white. Also, I do not do cauliflower rice, not at all. I can eat cauliflower as a vegetable in many forms, but as rice *gag*. For me to eat healthy, white rice needs to be there. 

So my nutrition philosophy is based around that. I make a lot of flat breads from whole wheat practically every day. But when we make bread, it is a combination of whole wheat and white bread flour. It makes for a more enjoyable eating experience.

I will not swallow food like medicine. I love eating, the texture, the taste, the making of it. I will not deprive myself or my family. I do not want to swallow vegetables like medicine. I want to savor them and for that, my plate needs to be built around that one cup of white rice. We eat 90% healthy, the rest is up for grabs.

Basmati is my splurge.  I likewise choose to just do a 1/2 c. serving and then build nutrition around that.

When I have bread, I do use whole grains.  I still have my grinder and wheat berries on hand, but with how cold my kitchen has been this winter, I have mostly just been buying whole grain bread.

• Like 1

We do breadmaker bread mostly because I don’t want to run to the shop purely for bread when I can put a loaf on in two minutes.  The only down side is the crumbs.  

however it’s mostly white.  Occasionally I buy a bag of whole meal but it’s slow going.  Most supermarket whole meals are only something like 20pc anyway so not a huge improvement.  If we are having shop bread we do like light rye and other similar things.  But we don’t have it often. 

We are also all white for flour, pasta and rice.  It’s not ideal but I can’t convince anyone to eat it otherwise.  I have one kid who likes brown rice.  Mostly I try to make sure they get plenty of fruit and veg to compensate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeachGal said:

@Corraleno Interesting. Did you grind that flour? If so, very nice!

The wood underneath is stunning, btw.

Yep, I ran it through the MockMill on the finest setting.  

The wood is a burled olive wood cutting board I got from Trader Joe's a few years ago for 20 bucks! One year they had a whole bunch of olive wood kitchen stuff right before Christmas and I got the cutting board, a bunch of salt cellars with little spoons (gave several of them as Christmas gifts with boxes of Maldon smoked salt), and a set of 4 little bowls. I have some olive wood spoons and spatulas, too, and I'm still looking for the perfect French style rolling pin. 

Here's a few of the pieces:

IMG_6025.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SusanC said:

Yes, generally. I occasionally get sourdough, but the standard bread is slightly fancy whole wheat. I also buy whole wheat crackers and pasta. I am the only one who grocery shops, so that part is easy, plus my family is pretty easy-going about foods, so there isn't really any arguing.

I shop and always bought whole wheat everything.  Dh likes to shop 😬. He buys white bread bagels, muffins, and ice cream. I’m having a tough time competing.  😂

He was good for many many years about the whole wheat, but over the last couple, not so much.

13 hours ago, marbel said:

Our favorite store wheat bread is from Aldi. They have two kinds - a long, skinny loaf, and a wider, shorter loaf. The wider one is the one we like. I'm sure it's a little more expensive than the longer loaf (which is like standard store whole wheat bread, if that makes sense). But still not expensive compared to most store whole wheat breads. 

Aldi is the main store I shop at.  I buy their whole wheat bread that is a knockoff to Nature’s Own, but even I don’t care for it much. I never even really looked for others.  I’ll try the shorter loaf next time.  Thanks.  

4 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I did use to buy whole wheat hot dog and hamburger buns, but now I shop at Aldi, and they only have white. 

They used to have whole wheat buns but they haven’t had them in a long time.  I miss them!  We do buy the whole wheat tortillas. And when I used to shop at Publix, I always bought whole grain pasta as well, but Aldi doesn’t carry that either.   Maybe I’ll go back to whole wheat buns and pasta from another store, and not be concerned about the white bread bagels dh buys.  

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I do realize we got in a rut and I need to try some other whole wheat breads. We all like rye bread, but I only see enriched rye at the store, so that doesn’t sound like whole grain either or any better than white. Am I wrong?

I pretty much always buy whole grain Dave's Killer Bread. There are varying amounts of grains in each different flavor. DD14 hates seeds and nuts, so she won't eat it. I will buy her white bread every once in a while but not often. I am more likely to buy white sandwich rolls, than a loaf of white bread.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I agree that I don't think it's a hill to die on...  That said, we get our bread from a local bakery, and they make a type of whole wheat that has almost a sour-dough flavor.  It tastes completely different to me than whole wheat bread you get at a regular grocery store.   It is just so good.

When my kids were young, I'd often make a mix of white and wheat with oats in it, in my bread machine.  It was quite soft, and when it was fresh and warm it was very kid-friendly!

• Like 2

We eat a wide variety of breads--sometimes whole wheat sometimes not.  We will seldom have a loaf of white sandwich bread--but sometimes we get it with BBQ, for example.  We like the complexity of taste of a multigrain bread, enjoy a bagel, like a corn tortilla... I think it really depends on the diet in totality.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matrips said:

Thanks all.  I do realize we got in a rut and I need to try some other whole wheat breads. We all like rye bread, but I only see enriched rye at the store, so that doesn’t sound like whole grain either or any better than white. Am I wrong?

If it doesn't say whole rye or whole grain rye, then no. It is probably not much different than white bread. You can read the ingredients. Often it is a loaf of white bread with some rye added. 

If you are looking for healthier choices, read the labels. Look for breads with less (or no) white flour. It should have more fiber than white bread too, that is another way you can sometimes tell if it has more whole wheat. Don't just assume that the name of the bread is honest about the wheat vs white content. You really have to read the ingredients for whole wheat or whole grains. If the first ingredient on the list says white flour/ or wheat flour then that is going to be less healthy than one that says whole wheat or whole grain as the first ingredient (or whole grain rye if you are looking for rye bread). Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matrips said:

I shop and always bought whole wheat everything.  Dh likes to shop 😬. He buys white bread bagels, muffins, and ice cream. I’m having a tough time competing.  😂

He was good for many many years about the whole wheat, but over the last couple, not so much.

Aldi is my main store also, but obviously I get my pasta elsewhere. I wouldn't stress if he was doing the shopping. And maybe the food prep? 😄 Perhaps carve out a few non-conflict areas to hold on to (who can tell the noodles are whole wheat under all the fake cheese?) and then let it slide for a few months. Then you can gradually reconvert.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, matrips said:

They used to have whole wheat buns but they haven’t had them in a long time.  I miss them!  We do buy the whole wheat tortillas. And when I used to shop at Publix, I always bought whole grain pasta as well, but Aldi doesn’t carry that either.   Maybe I’ll go back to whole wheat buns and pasta from another store, and not be concerned about the white bread bagels dh buys.  

Our Aldi has the whole wheat spaghetti only, so we use that, but the the other noodles, nope. 

We'll eat all of the "good breads."  I don't buy the bagged, sliced breads from the shelf, but I do buy the crustier bakery breads.  My family doesn't like the super-soft texture of the wonder bread varieties.  We like different breads for different things, but we don't eat a ton of any of it.  I originally started making homemade bread because I got tired of the last few pieces of a $4 loaf turning green.  It's just cheaper to make it.  At any given time I have white, whole wheat, rye, 00 flour, and a sourdough starter in my kitchen.  I've been on an English muffin bread kick lately and we occasionally make bagels.  I never had a chest freezer until the pandemic, so now it's easier to freeze what we don't use right away.  This whole thread reminds me that I should probably schedule a baking day soon.

ETA:  I've never even tried to get my family on board with the whole wheat pastas; mostly because I prefer the regular stuff. (guilty)

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2